• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First gold purchase

DanB92

Hello everyone

So as the title suggests, I'm thinking about making my first gold purchase, I havwill been collecting silver for a little bit and after accumulating around 35 ounces of silver I feel I should expend slightly and buy some gold

The thing I'm having trouble with is deciding between 3 different coins, 1/4 oz Lunar year of the Monkey, Full Britannia and the 1/4 oz QB series, what are the different benefits for each of these? If there are any at all that is.

Personally I'm leaning more towards the Year of the Monkey coin as, even though it's the most expensive of the 3, it will hopefully have the best investment potential, both as gold value and collectible value.

Thanks everyone.

46 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Personally i'd say Britannia or Queens beast from the choice available, the RM Lunar series (in my opinion) isn't that popular, alternatively you could buy the Gold Sovereign as bullion....

+1

What he said...QB or Sovereign

We're all different (motivation, situation, plans for the future etc) but as a newbie I started with Brits, which I do like, but have moved to sovs when the price is right and the money's in place - much more flexibility when you want to sell and recognised everywhere. I only dabble in other stuff when there's value to be had, or at least any losses on any premium should be minimal.

Loads of absolutely fascinating threads and posts in Kman's post above :)

Since you are just cutting your milk teeth in this addictive "hobby" I suggest starting from the beginning and if you wish to add a gold coin to your collection start with the cheapest you can buy. You don't want to be shocked when your first coin arrives and you ask yourself - how much did I just pay for that !! ??

Start with a few half sovereigns or full sovereigns or fractional gold if the prices are not too OTT.

Your 35 ounces of silver will roughly equate to half an ounce of gold and that isn't a big coin because of the high density of gold.

Good luck and share your thoughts on the forum after your coin(s) arrives.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Perth Mint gold Lunar series? That's the year of the Monkey one I was looking at, as many have already stated, the RM Lunar series is really nothing too special

QBs come from the Royal Mint ...therefore quality issues come along with the territory.  However - MS70s are still possible with these 1/4 ounce coins.  My advice @DanB92? For your first taste of gold - go for a bullion sovereign like the 2017 design, or a Britannia or a Krugerrand. Anchor your gold in something that is recognised and easily sold; then in time you may want to start buying gold coins that carry a premium. Yes - if you can get a QB Dragon 1/4 that looks OK - then you may be able to have a slight numismatic potential - but I would not make that potential the driving factor in choosing a QB. 

Hope that helps. 

Lindeman 

I think as others say it depends on your own investment situation and circumstances.

My choice would be the 1/4 oz QB series as it is not at a big premium to the lunar monkey, in my opinion the QB series is much more aesthetically pleasing too.

Good collector appeal in the future too.

Good luck!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Hi, IMO for your first Gold buy go for a full sovereign if you live in the UK, you can buy a bullion 2017 at a decent price above spot.  I would give the QB a miss that's just my opinion! 

If you really want one of the coins you said then IMO buy a 1/4 brittania proof as close to spot as possible, I think there was one for sale on the forum just check. Then 2nd choice would be any Perth lunar 1/4 oz. please note the monkey is popular ATM as I think it's been pumped on YouTube, so you may want to buy another year!  I like the horse.

I would spend some time to research on the different coins before diving in. You might be interested in a few coins but in my opinion, stick to just the one type for now.

If you are in it for investing, go with Krugerrands as they have the lowest premium. If you are interested in design/collectability then have a look at the Queen's beast series as it only started last year so you are still in time to jump in and collect all the coins in the series.

Think about which denomination you want, 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz or 1/10 oz. I find the 1/4 oz coins to be affordable. They are also at a decent size (similar to a 20 pence UK coin) and you don't need a magnifying glass to appreciate the detail. I find the 1/10 oz coins too small and although also affordable, it commands a higher premium.

Personally, I would stay away from the Perth Mint lunar 2 series as you will need to fork out a lot of money to get the older coins (mouse/tiger/ox) as they are no longer in production. If you really like the design and have thought it through and are still interested in them, I have a few 1/4 oz lunar 2 series I can sell to you as I have lost interest in them.

With bullion its fair enough that they have a few dings, so long as they are charging bullion prices. As soon as they start putting a hefty premium on them, they need to be in good condition, ideally, mint condition considering where they are coming from imo. 

I don't really understand how people are recommending the QB when it's basically a new coin with no meaningful history.

By all means buy it if you like the look of it, but don't listen to any talk of "potential" because it's totally unproven. 

But I would say it's better to stick to the basics. Don't get carried away trying to chase potential - gold is primarily for insurance, not speculation.

Hi and welcome. I have the 1/4 gold qb 3 coins up to date in bullion and yes there very nice and I'm gunna get the set but it would be very close call against the 2017 sov it's a stunning coin for the money and like people say the buy price and sell price is very hard to beat 

1 hour ago, Ollie1016 said:

I'd highly recommend sovereigns. Widely recognised, an easy to shift. Normally a lower premium than 1/4oz QB's etc 

So true be a good first gold coin to go for

That is a Great Question Dan

My first Gold 1/4 oz was a Canadian Maple leaf and their highly recognized bullion coins, But looking at the 3 coins you've narrowed it down to, You really can't go wrong with any other them. But its good you are taking in to count what they will be worth in the long run.  Looking at it from that point then, you'd be narrowing it down to either Queens Beast or the Lunar Monkey, And its funny just the other day I was looking to purchase one off the same coins you have mentioned and before I made my decision i looked into what sort of mintage was made, Sorry but don't think you mentioned which Queens Beast but I'm assuming either The Lion or the Dragon, I didn't find any mintage numbers for the Queens Beast, but I do know the Perth mint officially declared a mintage for the 2016 1/4 oz Gold Monkey of 12,833 coins. In which I'm assuming the Royal Mint would have produced a lot more than 13k,  so I personally bought the 1/4 oz gold Lunar Monkey, My apologies for the long winded personal recommendation.

But good luck, can't wait to hear what you picked!

CS

Archived