• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New King Charles III Bank Notes

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Bought a couple of sets this morning at the B of E, but not the low serial numbers I was expecting ☹️!

However, they will look good in the album. 

Charles has waited 64 years to get onto the Bank-notes and I’ve added the Coronation 1/4 to the £50 note. To me he looks really dignified on all of them. ‘Mumsie’ first appeared on the £1 note in 1960 so have added one of my ‘58 Gillicks for comparison and to stay on PM song - 1960 was not minted that year!……

PS nearly forgot. Gold was about $35 in 1960 so I believe a sovereign could be picked up for about £5-£7! However, for some that was a weeks wages.

IMG_0914.jpeg

Nice collection, really like the Quarter.

Edited by Wampum

I'm looking forward to getting my first new King Charles £5 note from an ATM in due course.  I'm not really a collector of banknotes, but I've kept a few crisp new fivers over the years since 1991, plus a few £20 notes.

Above the Palace of Westminster is Churchill’s Nobel Prize Medal for Literature awarded in 1953.

It was 66mm in diameter, weighed 200g and made of 23ct gold - that’s over 6oz of GOLD!! 🇸🇪🏅

Today they are made from 18ct recycled gold and weigh 175g.

What a whopper!

IMG_0935.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

Edited by Britannia47

Very nice.

Boris Johnson should perhaps be awarded some sort of prize for his works of fiction...

Probably Liz Truss as well, come to think of it!

I'm still going to vote, but it seems that almost no politician can be trusted when it comes to the words emanating from their mouth.

On 05/06/2024 at 20:22, Wampum said:

New notes issued today with the first serial numbers being;

£5 CA 01

£10 HB 01

£20 EH 01

£50 AJ 01

I know we only use these to buy the real stuff, however would still be nice to get a full set of the early notes.    

I presume that it will only be these 01 numbers that be worth anything?

Just received some brand new £5 notes at the cash point and these are CA 22s.

I did receive a £20 note at the post office and this is an EH 01.

2 hours ago, Chrisplym said:

I think I'll have to visit a cash machine.

Posted (edited)
On 18/06/2024 at 13:18, Chrisplym said:

I am not really sure when it comes to bank notes I think any of the CA HB EH AJ would be worth keeping.

I am almost sure that the bank notes read from the bottom left corner to the top right corner , when looking at the serial number on the reverse,

so the first actual sheet coming from the printer reads as bottom left up in columns reading from start CA01 000001 up to the top right as CA60 000001.

This is done so that the sheets can then be cut with the serial numbers in the correct position.  

so if you owned CA22 002000, that note would be from the 2000th sheet and the bank note would be in the third column second note up.

So actually if you owned CA22 002000 (as the same example) and you also owned CA01 020000, the earlier note would be the CA22.

I am not sure which would be the more collectible, Probably the CA01 as it's the first letter number combo, however the CA22 is an earlier Sheet!! 

So it might be worth keeping a few of the CA22's     

Edited by Wampum

48 minutes ago, Wampum said:

I am not really sure when it comes to bank notes I think any of the CA HB EH AJ would be worth keeping.

I am almost sure that the bank notes read from the bottom left corner to the top right corner , when looking at the serial number on the reverse,

so the first actual sheet coming from the printer reads as bottom left up in columns reading from start CA01 000001 up to the top right as CA60 000001.

This is done so that the sheets can then be cut with the serial numbers in the correct position.  

so if you owned CA22 002000, that note would be from the 2000th sheet and the bank note would be in the third column second note up.

So actually if you owned CA22 002000 (as the same example) and you also owned CA01 020000, the earlier note would be the CA22.

I am not sure which would be the more collectible, The CA01 as it's the first letter number combo, or the CA22 as it's an earlier Sheet!! 

So it might be worth keeping a few of the CA22's     

Wow! Thanks @Wampum There is certainly a lot more to this than first meets the eye. It has been a long day and I am not sure that I am any the wiser! 🤣

6 hours ago, Olivard said:

Not even seen one close up.

Hopefully you will be lucky and come across one soon. There seem to be quite a few in circulation now.

1 minute ago, Chrisplym said:

Can anyone please give some advice on how best to store these notes for posterity? Thank you.

Either these sort of things (check the size, I haven't) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355390413837

Or these kind of things https://www.dauwalders.co.uk/banknote-albums--sleeves-2494-c.asp

Or if it's a particularly nice one... https://www.pmgnotes.com/ !

15 hours ago, Chrisplym said:

Wow! Thanks @Wampum There is certainly a lot more to this than first meets the eye. It has been a long day and I am not sure that I am any the wiser! 🤣

I had looked into collecting notes years ago, mainly because you could just spend them if needed, however found out that it was as hard as stamp collecting. At least with coins its either Gold or Silver, UNC or Circulated.😄 

2 hours ago, SidS said:

Still getting Lizzie's out of my cash machine this morning. Boring... 😁

The last notes from QEII might be worth keeping also.

The cash points around me are still on her notes.

going to be standing in front of the cash point taking out one note at a time to get sequential £10's, when they do arrive!! 

I wonder what would prove to be the better investment after 10, 20, or 30 years:

• Keeping one of these notes pristine and selling it at the end of the period.
  • Just leaving the same amount in a savings account for the whole period.

On 18/06/2024 at 13:18, Chrisplym said:

Lucky you, getting EH01…. the first series of KCIII,  ie the first million!

I only got EH12……😕 from the B of E. Yours will be worth a lot more if you sell.

Bank-notes are graded in a similar way to coins ie VF, EF, or UNC. Best keep it in a plastic envelope, in other words treat it like a proof!  Any folds or creases etc will immediately decrease the value - all mine are kept in a 3 place plastic sleeve in an album. Obviously it looks better to have AA01… but EH01, being the first ever change of monarch series, will be just as valuable. Well done. 
Here’s my £20 in a single plastic sleeve…..

IMG_0976.jpeg

@SidS

It’s a matter of luck whether you’ll get £5 CA01 ….KCIII from an ATM. There are a lot of QEII notes still in stock. Unfortunately it seems to be the ‘chancers’ out to make a killing on EBay who get these new low numbered notes.

Here’s a photo of the previous ‘Fivers’ back to 1960. I’m sure you will remember them and notice they seem to be getting smaller, reflecting their buying power. The 2 £50 notes illustrate this point with QEs first £50 note in 1981

IMG_0974.jpeg

IMG_0975.jpeg