• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

BackyardBullion

In Focus Friday Series!

18 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

It is what it is - my silver stack strategy won't fail because big the poor handling of one coin. Worst case scenario for me is that i end up melting it into something nice and then I can charge a premium on the silver ūüėČ

Sounds good, and it's great to have different options should a nice coin get some handling marks on it or develop other problems (which I was just joking around about - sorry if that wasn't clear) :)

I think the speck on the right could be dust (a puffer thingy could remove that), the smear could well be from you touching the coin like you say (not advised on premium coins for other folk who don't have the same 'recycling' options!) and the bottom spot below the 'smear' is the concern. Wish I'd checked my Eles over before storage, but then again perhaps ignorance is bliss!

If they do spot they should still carry a premium, I just think it's wise given the 'pedigree' of the series' quality to take all possible anti-spotting measures with these, and, even if a slight production flaw rather than a spot, very disappointing from the Bavarian Mint. Goodness - even the Royal Mint can get the special (e.g. Oriental) Brits right (so far, touch wood)!

Edited by kimchi

47 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Sounds good, and it's great to have different options should a nice coin get some handling marks on it or develop other problems (which I was just joking around about - sorry if that wasn't clear) :)

I think the speck on the right could be dust (a puffer thingy could remove that), the smear could well be from you touching the coin like you say (not advised on premium coins for other folk who don't have the same 'recycling' options!) and the bottom spot below the 'smear' is the concern. Wish I'd checked my Eles over before storage, but then again perhaps ignorance is bliss!

If they do spot they should still carry a premium, I just think it's wise given the 'pedigree' of the series' quality to take all possible anti-spotting measures with these, and, even if a slight production flaw rather than a spot, very disappointing from the Bavarian Mint. Goodness - even the Royal Mint can get the special (e.g. Oriental) Brits right (so far, touch wood)!

Yes - I would highly recommend people use my video as an example of how not to handle coins ;)

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

Yes - I would highly recommend people use my video as an example of how not to handle coins ;)

Not sure it's a handling issue (apart from the smear on the left) - at least by yourself (unless you'd previously handled it). That spot below it looks potentially very worrying to me. Perhaps it's the vid and you can take good photos of that area to show it's 'clean' and (hopefully!) the vid is misleading.

As you say, you can take a 'hit' on coins like these - some won't be in the same position. You do great vids and you you inform many of us a lot. But this is an issue with more than one recent premium release (that have been hyped on here - not the Emu), I'd like to see someone address this (quality) issue head on.

Very interestingly the 1st coin has the WW2 Italian fascist 'fasces' logo on it, that the Italians used on everything from their aircraft, to medals and uniforms, I suppose its the same with the swastika being used first on other cultures things as a good luck symbol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascist_symbolism

Edited by SILVERFINGER

44 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I suspect they thought they got it from the Mercury dime rather than the Roman Empire.

42 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

So that symbol is on a US coin too, your kidding :o

The Fasces stems from the first Roman Empire but originated from Etruscan and Greek culture. You will find it on french imperial coins, too.

it symbolises strength through unity and power for capital punishment and wasn't as stigmatised as the swastika.