• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Freedom of information request - Royal mint

Pampfan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, 999magnum said:

Thanks pampfan. Very interesting to see how the numbers are down on the 2oz, but i'm very very surprised at the mintage numbers for the lion. I don't know much, but those mintage numbers seem very high.

Haven’t looked at this thread in a while but if you look at the bullion pricing for the 2 oz lion - spot plus a huge premium over the other releases in the 2 oz coins - even though the mintage of the lion is so much higher than all the rest - it’s hard to believe.

i had multiple rolls of the lion - but the spotting issue - killed it for me - and I sold them all off last year.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:38, onlyroadtoheaven said:

I have put the FOI in.

I have also asked if they have minted any Lions this year ie can they still produce coins after the year of issue like Perth mint do with their Kilo Lunars?

I have just received the email below. Very exciting that its an FOI "team" which suggests that its not just 1 person. It makes me think that I should think up some quirky requests to keep them busy during the quieter periods!

Dear ********

Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your request for information. We are still in the process of collating the requested information and will follow up with you shortly.

With kind regards

FOI Team

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

On 26/03/2018 at 17:04, onlyroadtoheaven said:

Very exciting that its an FOI "team" which suggests that its not just 1 person

they'll be constantly re-deployed to the returns department, that'll be why they're taking so long answering you.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

And here it is ....... 

Dear ***********

I refer to your Freedom of Information request dated 27 February.

For information and perhaps clarity the term “mintage” for a particular coin, as applied by The Royal Mint, means sales of that particular coin less returns. It is critical, we think, from both a collector and valuation perspective and also to preserve the integrity of any secondary market, that there is transparency as to the number of coins, of a particular type, in the market, that could potentially be bought or sold. This definition of mintage supports these objectives.

The reason I provide this explanation is that whilst mintage figures for the coins you mention are intended for future publication, indeed we publish mintage figures as a matter of course on our website, they do not generally get published for 2 years after the end of the year of the coin in question. This is partly to allow for any returns to take place to ensure the authenticity and reliability of the mintage figures when published.

So whilst we are unable to provide you with mintage figures for the coins in question, given these are 2017 and 2018 year coins, I confirm that details will be available on The Royal Mint website in due course and in line with our policy as stated above.

As for the second part of your request our response is as follows:

For Commemorative coins:

We may on occasion mint coins after the applicable release year but only up to confirmed maximum issuance limits.

For Bullion coins:

A cease of production is usually announced approximately 12 months after the launch date of a new bullion coin product. This is approximate as it is dependent on varying factors, including production and manufacturing schedules and capabilities, but typically is within a few weeks of the 12 month window. The 10oz Silver Queens Beast Dragon for example, which launched on 19th March 2018, will cease towards the end of March/beginning of April 2019. The date of course will remain the same on the coin for the duration.

I hope you will find this information of interest.

By way of formality, if you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request, you have the right to ask for an internal review. Internal review requests should be submitted within two months of the date of receipt of the response to your original letter and should be addressed to:

Mr Martin McDade
Finance Director
Royal Mint
Llantrisant
Pontyclun
CF72 8YT

If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Please be aware that the Commissioner will be unlikely to make a decision until you have been through our internal complaints procedure first. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Kind regards

Yours sincerely

FOI Team

On 3/26/2018 at 12:04, onlyroadtoheaven said:

I have just received the email below. Very exciting that its an FOI "team" which suggests that its not just 1 person. It makes me think that I should think up some quirky requests to keep them busy during the quieter periods!

Dear ********

Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your request for information. We are still in the process of collating the requested information and will follow up with you shortly.

With kind regards

FOI Team

Are you a UK citizen/resident? Would the RM accept a FOI request from a US citizen you think? I ask since I've been collecting a very specific range from an engraver that worked on foreign coins with the RM. For instance, the RM produces coins for Costa Rica, Tanzania, Lesotho, etc. I have emailed them in the general contact enquiry a handful of times and received no response. What email do you sent it to? Did you mail this in with a paper letter?

On 02/06/2017 at 02:42, Pampfan said:

Here are the mintages and sales figures through April 2017 -  Project I believe was a success.

Standard Alloy Theme Fine Oz / Size Mintage Limit Despatched Sales to End April
Bullion GOLD Dragon 0.25 No Limit 7,635
Bullion GOLD Dragon 1 No Limit 6,519
Bullion GOLD Griffin 0.25 No Limit 10,345
Bullion GOLD Griffin 1 No Limit 11,367
Bullion GOLD Lion 0.25 No Limit 20,000
Bullion GOLD Lion 1 No Limit 22,248
Bullion SILVER Dragon 2 No Limit 154,815
Bullion SILVER Griffin 2 No Limit 180,992
Bullion SILVER Lion 2 No Limit 253,150
Bullion SILVER Lion 10 No Limit

Standard Alloy Theme Fine Oz / Size Mintage Limit Despatched Sales to End April
Proof GOLD Lion 0.25 2,500 1,940
Proof GOLD Lion 1 1,000 589
Proof GOLD Lion 5 125 125
Proof GOLD Lion Kilo 10 10
Proof SILVER Lion 1 8,500 7,684
Proof SILVER Lion 5 2,500 1,431
Proof SILVER Lion 10 1,250 1,122
Proof SILVER Lion Kilo 600 295

It has been a year now. Is another foi request going in to get “Despatched Sales to End April” 2018 ? @Pampfan Magnificent effort last year :)

1 hour ago, Oldun said:

It has been a year now. Is another foi request going in to get “Despatched Sales to End April” 2018 ? @Pampfan Magnificent effort last year :)

Can’t believe a year has passed. I’ll see if I can find the old type writer and give it another go this weekend.  I’ll let everyone know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Should be getting an email from the mint any day now.

I am very curious as to if any of the early releases have very different sales numbers from last year - remember there were no mintage limits on any of the bullion items - so is it possible that the mint may re-issue - or possible come out with a complete set of the beasts at the end of the run??? 

Here are the bullion only figures - As soon as I receive the proof figures I will update.

Standard

Alloy

Theme

Fine Oz / Size

Mintage Limit

Despatched Sales to End March

Bullion

GOLD

Dragon

No Limit

Bullion

GOLD

Dragon

No Limit

Bullion

GOLD

Griffin

No Limit

Bullion

GOLD

Griffin

No Limit

Bullion

GOLD

Lion

No Limit

Bullion

GOLD

Lion

No Limit

Bullion

GOLD

Unicorn

No Limit

Bullion

GOLD

Unicorn

No Limit

Bullion

GOLD

Bull

No Limit

Bullion

GOLD

Bull

No Limit

Bullion

Platinum

Dragon

No Limit

Bullion

Platinum

Griffin

No Limit

Bullion

Platinum

Lion

No Limit

Bullion

SILVER

Dragon

No Limit

Bullion

SILVER

Dragon

No Limit

Bullion

SILVER

Griffin

No Limit

Bullion

SILVER

Griffin

No Limit

Bullion

SILVER

Lion

No Limit

Bullion

SILVER

Lion

No Limit

Bullion

SILVER

Unicorn

No Limit

Bullion

SILVER

Bull

No Limit

Another Success under the belt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job Pampfan, thank you very much.

These numbers are surprising when compared to the previous ones, one year ago.

What I notice is that Lion and Griffin mintages (gold or silver) are really similar  compared to one year before. 

So we can deduct that coins were mostly minted at the beginning, and  slghtly reajusted accordingly with the demand (for example, only 5 to 700 more coins for the Lion and Griffin  1oz or 1/4 oz gold in one year). 

What surprises me is the low mintage for the 1/4 oz gold coins, compared with the 1oz. This is even more surprising as  the 1/4 oz gold have not rised in price. They are still in stock everywhere  at a steady price, while the 1 oz gold Lion and Griffin are now timpossible to find at a price close to spot as they literally have skyrocketed ...

It would mean that the market for 1/4 oz gold coin is really really  lower than those for 1 oz gold....

What is your take on this  ?

Very interesting to see these figures.

Something that stands out is the first in series effect - with the first 3 in the series effectively out of production now it's showing nearly twice as many gold Lions out there as Griffins or Dragons, and a good 30% more in silver. I don't know how that will affect resale values in the future. Will there always be more demand for the first, thereby outweighing the larger supply, or will the short supply of later issues give a boost to the subsequent coins?

Once you get past the first in series we only really have two completed runs to compare with each other, showing it's neck and neck in the 1/4 golds but the 1oz gold & 2oz silver dragons have just slightly outsold the griffons. Too early to really comment on the unicorns but it will be interesting to see how the snooty bulls compare in the long run.

4 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Great job Pampfan, thank you very much.

These numbers are surprising when compared to the previous ones, one year ago.

What I notice is that Lion and Griffin mintages (gold or silver) are really similar  compared to one year before. 

So we can deduct that coins were mostly minted at the beginning, and  slghtly reajusted accordingly with the demand (for example, only 5 to 700 more coins for the Lion and Griffin  1oz or 1/4 oz gold in one year). 

What surprises me is the low mintage for the 1/4 oz gold coins, compared with the 1oz. This is even more surprising as  the 1/4 oz gold have not rised in price. They are still in stock everywhere  at a steady price, while the 1 oz gold Lion and Griffin are now timpossible to find at a price close to spot as they literally have skyrocketed ...

It would mean that the market for 1/4 oz gold coin is really really  lower than those for 1 oz gold....

What is your take on this  ?

I think that there may be more collectors who prefer 1 ounce coins as opposed to 1/4 oz (I prefer the 1/4 ounce ) - What is very interesting is the very low mintages of the bull - This may be the key to the set.

1 hour ago, Pampfan said:

I think that there may be more collectors who prefer 1 ounce coins as opposed to 1/4 oz (I prefer the 1/4 ounce ) - What is very interesting is the very low mintages of the bull - This may be the key to the set.

but bull is still a new coin so that figure will goes up 

lion and griffin gold they stop the production so that would be almost the final figure 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

11 hours ago, 999magnum said:

Does this mean that the 1/4oz gold lion is still being minted?

The official line is .... not clear:

For Commemorative coins:

We may on occasion mint coins after the applicable release year but only up to confirmed maximum issuance limits.

For Bullion coins:

A cease of production is usually announced approximately 12 months after the launch date of a new bullion coin product. This is approximate as it is dependent on varying factors, including production and manufacturing schedules and capabilities, but typically is within a few weeks of the 12 month window. The 10oz Silver Queens Beast Dragon for example, which launched on 19th March 2018, will cease towards the end of March/beginning of April 2019. The date of course will remain the same on the coin for the duration.

Given that the lion/griffin/dragon sales are effectively complete (for 1oz gold and 2oz silver) at the time of publication we can draw some tentative conclusions on the progress of series so far.

1oz gold bullion: The dragon has outsold the griffin by almost 10%. Lion population is 72.6% higher than the lowest in the series so far.

2oz silver bullion: The dragon has outsold the griffin by 6.2%. Lion population is 40.9% higher than the lowest in the series so far.

Tentative conclusions:

First in series populations are enormous. In theory these should never be the blocking point for collectors looking to complete a set, more the readily-available gateway drug that can draw people in.

The dragon was a beautiful design but the griffin was almost as nice (imho) so I suspect we can attribute most of the 6 to 10% higher sales of these coins to the appeal of dragon designs to Chinese buyers. If that's the case then this 6 to 10% sales boost is what's behind the mints churning out dragon-based designs by the bucket load.

Archived