• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milk spots and value

Niels87

How does the milk spots affect the value on bullion coins? 
If you buy kangaroo's/maples/phil or whatever and they get spots, will a coin dealer pay you spot price ?
Or the same as a not milked bullion ?
Or even below spot ? 

For semi numismatic there will be a huge drop of course, that's a no-brainer.

Milk spotted coins usually go for a lot cheaper price on eBay and with online dealers who sometimes mark them up as seconds.

The spots can be cleaned off with a treated cloth but under a microscope there'd be light scratches present. Haven't tried ultrasonic cleaning with silver cleaning solution yet, might be the way to go to get a better price.

10 minutes ago, greenrizz said:

Milk spots are irrelevant to most bullion dealers, it is the value of the metal that they will give you. (well, normally 98% of spot).

Most dealers in belgium have a buy back price for bullion about €1.5 a coin over the spot price. 
i might assume if it is spotted they drop the 1.5 ? 

Ultrasonic cleaning and acid dips will not remove milk spots.
A good quality silver polish will remove spots and stains but you will introduce very fine scratch lines but a bullion coin looking bright and shiny will in my opinion sell better and for a higher price than a milky coin. Most coin dealers will not care as the price you will be offered will be spot or less according to weight or in other words - scrap value. Very few Perth Mint coins interestingly enough show milk spots. Milk spots are dependent on the Mint i.e. process with the RCM being one of the worst.

I'm fairly new to this but from all the vids I've seen I will, never, ever touch bullion (or anything else) from RCM. For now I'll stick to Perth for the quality, and base my foundation on the cheaper (European) bullion even if it spots or wasn't a good strike - it's still silver and is cheaper in the UK than RCM. That mint's even more notorious than the RM, so I'm staying well clear!

On 06/05/2017 at 18:48, MickB said:

Milk spotted coins usually go for a lot cheaper price on eBay and with online dealers who sometimes mark them up as seconds.

The spots can be cleaned off with a treated cloth but under a microscope there'd be light scratches present. Haven't tried ultrasonic cleaning with silver cleaning solution yet, might be the way to go to get a better price.

I tell people about milk spot and close up shots , and any flawl , normally it will do  better than what I expect , first few milk coins won't do too good but after a few coins people start to know your standard price start to climb 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

I still buy the milky stuff, but i deffo dont buy as much as i used to. I have moved alot of my stacking to perth mint and others. I dont really care about my brit's, elephants, maples but paying a the premium for UK lunars annoys me. I have never sold anything so cant really comment on value. I plan to convert all my milky stuff into poured bars.

Backyardbullion has a video showing a trick with a pencil rubbber. I tried it on a few of my milky 1.5oz polar bears and it removed the milky marks but took a little shine from the coin.

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

I went ahead and send an email to the dealer. 
They said milk spots don't affect the price and you will get the price on the website with or without the milkspots. 
(only for the cheap bullion coins ofcourse)

Archived