• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

£20 Coin

Shamatti

Don't know what people here think of this coin, but I have taken a punt ont it!

It is the first ever British £20

It is struck in 999 pure silver and has a weight of 15.71 grams (So just over 1/2 Troy Ounce)!

It is limited to just 250,000 coins.

So that's the blurb! They are selling on the Royal Mint web page for £20. Which isn't actually a great price for 1/2 Ounce, but I think this coin will be a good investement. If they ever put a £20 in to circulation (I doubt it any tome soon!) this coin would become more collectable too, I'd say. Any way - will be nice to know I have one of the first ever limited strikes. Looking to the long term on this. Feeling good! lol

_L_UK13FVS_02.jpg

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/UK_2013_20_pound_for_20_pound_Fine_Silver_Coin_George_and_the_Dragon?tab=detail#productdetails

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my little daughter one as it came out about the time she was born.

Still available at the mint.

With a mintage of 250k, and the fact they still haven't sold out after about 10 months, I'm not sure these will ever do anything.

Nice coin though, hopefully my daughter will like it in 18 years time.

Stacker since 2013

Well, I'm still realy excited about this coin. I am just relying that there will be others like me in years to come, otherwise I am lunped with another bad investement.

I am thinking of starting a whole new section of this forum - Things Shamatti baught. That way you will all know what to avoid! lol I have a terrible track record. Even with exchange rates.

I came to Oz as the dollar rose so got less and less dollers for my pounds when I needed to bring money here. Now I am taking money home it is swinging the other way and I am having to pay more and more for my pounds! Typical.

I started stacking silver mid 2012. Need I say more!? lol

Hey ho! Still happy. Got one for the long term. I think it will do well in a few years!

I hope for both our sakes your right.

I did consider buying more but talked myself out of it.

And those mongs that have paid £30+ on eBay......

I tell you what Sham, I reckon you are doing better than those that don't have any silver.

Stacker since 2013

• Founder & Administrator

I didn't realise these were still available! Thanks for the link.

£20 is a ridiculous price for half an ounce, but there is nothing to loose, as it will always be worth £20.

I am going to buy 1 and then keep it in my wallet to remind me to save money for silver, will be a good thing to bring out in front of friends to show them and convince them about silver. Just hopefully I won't accidentally spend it.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I must admit, I thought they would sell out quick, but sadly not.

My daughter was born on the same day as our future king, so she got a free silver penny.

They only gave out 2013 of them, probably less.

Stacker since 2013

I must admit, I thought they would sell out quick, but sadly not.

My daughter was born on the same day as our future king, so she got a free silver penny.

They only gave out 2013 of them, probably less.

No way! That is awesome! Must have been a great present, and very lucky to get one!

And congratulations on a baby daughter! That must have been the best present!

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Thanks Chris.

Yes, we were very pleased that she got one, something to keep for when she is old enough to appreciate it.

The hospital also gave a silver necklace to each baby born on that day, double bonus.

Stacker since 2013

I just bought 3 of these. they have free shipping for orders of £45. If they are nice I will keep them, if they are ugly in the flesh I will take 2 of them to the bank for a full refund. Can't loose really. 

Also, here is a free code for FREE shipping on anything from the RM website: KA6WEB though I don't see much else there that is worth buying.

I am super happy with this purchase, I have been looking for a silver coin that I can put in my pocket, to bring out and touch, feel, and play with, carrying it around with me and reminding me about saving for silver.

Will be cool to see how quickly silver tarnishes when touched and played with for several years, I wonder how long it will stay looking nice. I was going to do this with an ASE but I didn't want to carry around an ASE with the huge american theme imprinted all over it, as much as ASE's are aesthetically beautiful coins, it would make me look like a pro-american patriot, and I am certainly most definitely British. This £20 for £20 coin is the perfect companion for a british stacker to have in their wallet IMO   :)

n.b. This coin is actually slightly heavier than 1/2 ounce, weights 15.75g. (though I just noticed Shamatti already mentioned that fact :))

Anyone else pick up any of these?

Discounts / Offers

The diameter is relatively large compared to £1 coin, so I am guessing the thickness of these coins isn't that much? I hope it's not too skinny. 

If it is, they should have made it a £50 for £50 and given us an ounce and a 1/4 of silver

post-1-0-05515700-1395075956_thumb.jpg

edit: saying that though, I just weighted a £1 coin and its 9g, so the silver £20 could have a similar thickness given the extra weight, which compensates for the extra diameter. However silver is more dense than the metal inside a £1 coin though, so not sure how it will look and feel in real life, anyway will have to just wait and see what it looks like in the flesh.

Discounts / Offers

I will take some photos when I get back to the UK and crack mine open :)

Discounts / Offers

You bought 10 on eBay or you are advertising them?

Haha no I'm selling. I brought 10 off when they first came out, half expecting them to sell out quickly and I could make a nice profit. But they are not as popular as I thought they might be.

Ha ha! Looks like I have started something.

I like the look of these coins, can't wait to get home and open one up. I actually have 2 on order as well, one for the stack, one for ebay - but if they don't sell well, I may follow Chris's example and bung one in my wallet. I quite like that idea, come to think of it!

I would quite like to see the silver £20 become a common circulated coin. But I doubt it will happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Discounts / Offers

Me too, if the £5 coin didn't take off, I think the £20 will be a while coming.

It's about time they scrapped the 1p and 2p though!!

£5 was quite large though. And heavy. I have a few old ones somewhere and a new one I bought recently from some coin collectors website, it's not silver but was only £5 with free delivery so I bought it.

Now they keep sending me rubbish through the door trying to sell me their other non precious metal coins for ridiculous prices.

This £20 coin looks quite small and pocket sized, only a small handful of these are needed in your pocket and you already have enough small change for most purchases.

1pm and 2ps are annoying but I always keep them, add them into a jar and before you know it you already have enough to buy an ounce of silver :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Discounts / Offers

I managed to pick up quite a few of these £20 coins in the end. Hehe.

Discounts / Offers

Archived