• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen's Beasts Slabbed and Graded...is perfection worth the $$$?

Jester

Good Evening/Morning All,

I'd really like the input of seasoned collectors regarding a potential purchase of the Queen's Beasts Lion of England 2016 BU / 2017 Proof.

The slabbed and graded 2016 MS70 BU coins, when found, are going for $600+.  However, I can get the same coin graded MS69 (probably free of the scuffs on the Queen's cheek that have plagued most BU coins) for $65.

The slabbed and graded 2017 PF70 seem to be going for around $200+.  You can get the same coin graded PF69 for around $100.  Additionally, you can still pick up the raw 2017 proofs in OGP for $99 and then send them in yourself for grading with fingers crossed.

From everything I've heard/read, there's no difference to the eye between a 69 and 70.  I just want a really nice example of each coin for my collection (sans scuffs).

In your personal opinion as a collector, is it worth the substantial mark-up to have the 70?  Thanks in advance for your time and feedback!

Note: I know some of you aren't into grading modern coins or coins at all but considering this series specifically, if you order from the mint or an online dealer, chances are the Queen will be blemished...thus the desire to obtain these graded to improve the condition of the coin for the collection (I have all three already and all three BUs have the scuff/scratch marks)

Everyone is different, and it comes down to desirability. Who wants it and how many are available? Thus equalling supply/demand... Human nature is to want the best and I personally have been collecting the 70's both MS, PF and Gold... But it sounds like you would be happy with a nice BU. Just vacuum seal it and it won't Milk over time. All of my Raw Queens beasts spotted and Milked within 1-2 months... My slabbed coins knock on wood have not. So I'd say pick up 5 BU of each, vacuum seal them and enjoy for years to come!

7 hours ago, Jester said:

Good Evening/Morning All,

I'd really like the input of seasoned collectors regarding a potential purchase of the Queen's Beasts Lion of England 2016 BU / 2017 Proof.

The slabbed and graded 2016 MS70 BU coins, when found, are going for $600+.  However, I can get the same coin graded MS69 (probably free of the scuffs on the Queen's cheek that have plagued most BU coins) for $65.

The slabbed and graded 2017 PF70 seem to be going for around $200+.  You can get the same coin graded PF69 for around $100.  Additionally, you can still pick up the raw 2017 proofs in OGP for $99 and then send them in yourself for grading with fingers crossed.

From everything I've heard/read, there's no difference to the eye between a 69 and 70.  I just want a really nice example of each coin for my collection (sans scuffs).

In your personal opinion as a collector, is it worth the substantial mark-up to have the 70?  Thanks in advance for your time and feedback!

Note: I know some of you aren't into grading modern coins or coins at all but considering this series specifically, if you order from the mint or an online dealer, chances are the Queen will be blemished...thus the desire to obtain these graded to improve the condition of the coin for the collection (I have all three already and all three BUs have the scuff/scratch marks)

I have two ms69 2 ounce queens beasts for show -  Looking to pick up the dragon next stabbed by pcgs.  The coins are really nice and since they are slabbed - easy to show and not worry about damage.  I usually only collect ms70 anything - but the cost difference between ms70 and ms69 to me is just to great to justify - plus it is a silver coin - and a modern recent issue as well.  Since these coins are bullion - the probability of more being graded is high and there will most definitely be more ms70 examples as more people grade them.

at the end of the day it is what you want to spend your money on and collect.  I myself would only be comfortable buying the ms70 in the $200 to $300 range, but that is just me.

the ms69's I have serve the purpose. 

Whoa $600+ for a MS70 BU. You can buy a lot of stuff for $600 - and who's to say it won't spot anyway.

It has to be a pretty special Ag BU coin to fork out that sorta dough. That's the sort of price that's asked for some of the rarer silver pandas, with much lower mintages and a higher collector base (e.g. 2000 Mirrored Ring MS69 or 2001 Small D MS69).

So that's not for me but best of luck.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 02:50, Jester said:

You are right when you say there is little or no perceptible difference in a PF69 & a PF 70,what I would say to you is if you are on a limited budget(or don't want to spend much) buy the PF 69 because I believe they are a bargain, in a lot of instances you can get a pf 69 for less than the raw version.

Personally I like to buy the best I can afford & will only buy PF 70s but then again I don't buy many & only want to fill a box which holds 20 slabs as something different in my collection. I am a collector so like to buy the best examples of coins I can.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

It is so annoying to see these lovely coins arrive with scuffs on the high profiles especially the Queen's cheek.
Just checked my latest delivery and all are marked so the Mint should take more care when churning out these coins like washers.

Maybe we can incentivise a Royal Mint nightshift employee to grab a few hundred coins after pressing but before they get damaged and perhaps the majority would meet MS 69 and 70 ?

Archived