• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

3D printing coins

mr-dead

First thing I have never used CAD previously and have zero artistic skills :)

I used a free online CAD program below to design my coin, a physcial crypto coin for a next gen cryptocurrency called Komodo.

https://www.tinkercad.com/

Using another company called Shapeways to print the coin (they do everything from plastic, ceramics, metals, precious metals such as gold, platinum and silver.

https://www.shapeways.com/

Really happy how it turned out, a high relief coin attempt using the KMD octogon logo with a recess at the rear to fit a hologram to cover a private key.

Hn5Wj10.jpg

fd8VJB6.jpg

ZCn5FRv.jpg

MoNqdHn.jpg

First version I ordered is polished brass plated in rhodium then in 18k Gold and will be delivered in about 10 days.  If it turns out nice I will look to get some solid silver, gold and platinum versions created for the Komodo community.

All in with shipping it cost 113 euros delivered, for a 1 off custom coin that is amazingly cheap :)

How they make the gold versions :

"

Gold Overview

See full material information for Gold here.

Look and Feel

All Gold products go through extensive hand-polishing to give them a smooth, shiny finish. 14k Gold has a subtle, warm coloring, while 18k Gold is brighter and more vibrant. 14k Rose Gold has a pinkish tint, and 14k White Gold looks like silver with a hint of gold.

14k Gold consists of 58% Gold, 31% Copper, 10% Silver, and 1% Zinc.

14k Rose Gold consists of 58% Gold, 40% Copper, 1% Silver, and 1% Zinc.

14k White Gold consists of 58% Gold, 24% Copper, 9% Zinc, and 9% Nickel.

18k Gold consists of 75% Gold, 10% Copper, and 15% Silver.

When we hand-polish your Gold model, some material will inherently be worn off. Please note that the volume of your finished product may be up to 10% less than the original model due to shrinkage and polishing loss.

How it's 3D printed

Gold models are 3D printed using a complex five-step process. First, the model is printed in wax using a specialized high-resolution 3D printer. It is then put in a container where liquid plaster is poured in around it. When the plaster sets, the wax is melted out in a furnace, and the remaining plaster becomes the mold.

Molten Gold is poured into this mold and set to harden. The plaster is broken away, revealing your new product. The product is then carefully cleaned and hand-polished to give it the trademark Gold luster. Please be aware that polishing can wear down or fill in very fine details and edges. Polishing also removes a bit of material from your product in order to smooth it out, so the exact volume may be slightly smaller than that of your digital model."

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

Makes me think me think where this technology is going in the future.

Pair a high quality 3d scanner with direct 3D gold printing and those old, low mintage high premium coins could be easily replicated

expect China factories to be on the case already with this - coming soon to an eBay near you 

I don't think direct gold printing will appear anytime soon.  You'd need pretty high temperatures and probably a heated chamber so keep the model hot enough while more gold is being added.  Wouldn't traditional cad/cam be used first if making copies was viable?  I just don't think you'd get them to look right.  Striking coins gives them a different look from casting, machining or printing would give.

Archived