• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Numi's - Tip of the Month - November 2016 - 4th Panda Expo Medals

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi @Numistacker just been looking over on the (CCF) forum, might we be in for a small discount on these medals? [emoji6]

That's what I understand ... mention Numistacker to Dragon for a Brexit discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A discount? Do you mean I paid full price and I didn't have to :'(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A rebate. Buy on eBay and add my name in message to seller or contact seller after

7 minutes ago, prophet800 said:

A discount? Do you mean I paid full price and I didn't have to :'(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

In the majority of cases I now buy direct from Dragon and not via the Bay and with him passing on the savings.

Usually this is about 5-7% . Similarly if he has anything listed on Ebay I ask if he can do a better price. Sometimes he can only offer the saving that he gets from not having to pay fees while other times it can be a good sum

If you do go down this route, just be aware that there appears to be some Ebay/Ebay.co.uk arrangement where the postal cost from the PRC is discounted. For this to happen a sale must be shown through Ebay. Thus he will usually ask you to  make an offer of a dollar or so on something insignificant, thus triggering the discounted postal rate. 

On 11/25/2016 at 06:37, Numistacker said:

First pics of the bi-metallic

69f267106d5e82166fc302b012ca229b.jpg

cf94e25a1f3939ae1abfd992e6ee726f.jpg

I just wrote about a rumor that the Shanghai Mint will be using their experience with the 4th panda expo bimetallic to make a bimetallic 35th anniversary panda in 2017. There isn't much to talk about yet, but I wrote a little about it at CCF. This should bring more collectors to the 4th panda expo when they learn some of the high mintage fiat pandas were influenced by them. Even before I posted this information, dragonzeng168 posted a bimetallic 4th panda expo, and it sold within seconds or minutes after I mentioned it at CCF. Clearly numistacker was right about the 4th panda expo having "legs". It's a common phenomenon for it to take around 3 years for something new to catch on, and the panda expo series seems to be fitting that pattern well.

4th panda expo silver version photos are released.

IMG_1164.thumb.JPG.a3103e15c160ec4757a6c0d23bf2d7a0.JPG

IMG_1165.thumb.JPG.20dc9d5b1c1ce19fe491d0125d90308f.JPG

Quality looks very high. Pity they did not include the clouds from the original illustration. Great job for Shanghai Mint

14 hours ago, badon said:

[...] dragonzeng168 posted a bimetallic 4th panda expo, and it sold within seconds or minutes after I mentioned it at CCF. Clearly numistacker was right about the 4th panda expo having "legs". It's a common phenomenon for it to take around 3 years for something new to catch on, and the panda expo series seems to be fitting that pattern well.

dragonzeng168 posted 2 more bimetallics and 1 of them sold within an hour. The other one is still available, but the price has been raised. A thought just struck my brain. Maybe it's better for dealers to sell everything as quickly as they can (cheaply), and then allow the the secondary market to realize the price gains. The biggest and most successful dealers tend to work that way. dragonzeng168 is a small dealer. I will suggest this strategy to him.

All dealers will occasionally "invest" by not offering all of their inventory for sale. They sit on the coins for a few years, and then sell them later. They do this with coins they like, usually because they are thinking like collectors and investors (not as dealers). Keeping some coins also ensures they don't miss the boat if something unexpected happens, like the discovery of valuable varieties, or a sudden burst in popularity. It also helps them to be heroes for their favorite clients by selling coins in their "reserves" or personal collections, after their normal inventory is sold out. I have noticed a lot of dealers of various kinds do this, not just coin dealers.

For example, I once tried to buy industrial tools that had been discontinued. They were popular with hobbyists despite not being good enough sellers to keep them in production for pro industry users. One of the dealers I contacted told me he had been keeping some spares for his personal use, in case his needed to be replaced. As a loyal customer, he felt very motivated to sell it to me, so I would keep going to him first whenever I wanted to buy something, instead of his competitors.

@Bullionbilly Congrats! Are you going to post photos when you get it?

One thing that seems to be rumbling on the horizon is differentiation in the pricing of COA numbers. "Better" COA numbers have been increasingly used successfully as a selling point that at the very least improves the odds of a sale, versus other identical coins on the market that contain no COA number information. A Macau panda with a COA number and an inscribed serial number of #1 sold for a 5 figure sum in USD in an auction. Low COA numbers in the bottom 10% seem to be well-received when they are advertised too, the lower the better.

In Chinese culture the number 8 is considered by far the best number of them all, but the number 9 is also appreciated. The number 4 means "death", and is sometimes avoided. Personal reasons for favoring a particular COA number can be anything you can imagine. I think a change in the market with regard to COA numbers is imminent, but most dealers are not paying attention to the COA numbers they are shipping out, so it's still possible to get lucky, especially if you order more than 1 specimen of the same coin.

So check your COA number when you get your coin! 

1 hour ago, badon said:

@Bullionbilly Congrats! Are you going to post photos when you get it?

One thing that seems to be rumbling on the horizon is differentiation in the pricing of COA numbers. "Better" COA numbers have been increasingly used successfully as a selling point that at the very least improves the odds of a sale, versus other identical coins on the market that contain no COA number information. A Macau panda with a COA number and an inscribed serial number of #1 sold for a 5 figure sum in USD in an auction. Low COA numbers in the bottom 10% seem to be well-received when they are advertised too, the lower the better.

In Chinese culture the number 8 is considered by far the best number of them all, but the number 9 is also appreciated. The number 4 means "death", and is sometimes avoided. Personal reasons for favoring a particular COA number can be anything you can imagine. I think a change in the market with regard to COA numbers is imminent, but most dealers are not paying attention to the COA numbers they are shipping out, so it's still possible to get lucky, especially if you order more than 1 specimen of the same coin.

So check your COA number when you get your coin! 

I certainly will ,  i must confess i set out mainly to stack as low as possible HOWEVER.... im liking the appeal of these types of coins !

Thanks again @Numistacker . Looking a good investment. I shall keep my eyes open for future tips ?

Diversification is important. Bullion always has a place at the core but when it comes to selling easily rarity is often but not always key. You can find low mintage selling for bargain prices if buyers are uninspired or unappreciative but I feel that certain of these issues check all the boxes. Art? Mintage? Mint? Back story? Grade ability? The 4th Panda Expo checks all the boxes for me at least. I probably should have doubled up on this one but cash is tight.

I bought two antiques but with such a low number available I didn't want to be greedy and it's good to get these things owned by as many of people as possible

Archived