• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

George III sovereigns

AuZeus

Sitting here feeling a little bit out of my depth and yet a little bit excited, have come across what i think could be a great opportunity.

I would value all advice on how much to offer for all of these coins.

1817 George III full sovereign

1820 George III full sovereign

1817 George III half sovereign

1818 George III half sovereign

Image1forWeb.jpg

Not my thing - but with all the hype of the new 2017 issue - the 1817 full sovereign would be a great compliment to it

from goldsovereigexpert web site  http://goldsovereignexpert.com/coins/1/1817-Gold-Sovereign-George-III/

1817 Gold Sovereign : George III
Obverse Face of a 1817-Gold-Sovereign-George-III Reverse Face of a 1817-Gold-Sovereign-George-III

Bullion Mintage 3,235,239
Obverse DesignGeorge III
Obverse Text GEORGIUS III D:G:BRITANNIAR:REX F:D:
Reverse Design St. George
Reverse Text HONI.SOIT.QUI.MAL.V.PENSE

The 1817 Sovereign is struck on a reverse die access.
3,235,239 bullion sovereigns and a very small quantity of proof sovereigns were minted In 1817.
Both the obverse and reverse faces of the coin are by Benedetto Pistrucci.

High grade examples of this coin are always sought after by collectors.

Spink Ref: 3785 
Marsh: 1

Further InformationThis is the first issue of the 'modern' sovereign that is still produced today.

Following a substantial reorganisation of the Royal Mint by William Wellesley Pole, a range of new gold coins were approved by the Prince Regent.

The denominations were to be the ten-shilling, twenty-shilling, forty-shilling and five pound pieces. Or, as we know them today, the half sovereign, full sovereign, double sovereign and £5 crown. At twenty shillings, the full sovereign carried a face value of £1.On the obverse face, George III wears a 'crown' of laurel leaves, hence it is described as a laureate head. The laureate is tied at the back with a ribbon and formed into a bow.

The now familiar image of St. George slaying the dragon by Benedetto Pisctucci graces the reverse.

His initials can be found on the ground, just under the broken shaft of his spear. Below it, on the buckle are the initials WWP for William Wellesley Pole, the Master of the Mint.The original 'sovereign', first produced in 1489 during the reign of Henry VII was a different coin altogether.

At 15.55g, it was almost twice the weight of the modern sovereign and was minted in 23ct gold instead of 22ct which what it is today.

Difficult to be exact as photos not too clear. The 1817 half looks to be the pick of the bunch and the way prices have been going recently, @HelpingHands estimate for auction shouldn't be too far out but I would say a bit more for certain.

Could be more exact with better piccies.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

If a seasoned chap like yourself is getting butterflies, it means you are in love. You are beyond reasoned help. Bit like a first date with a young lady. The first dinner and dance might cost a few bob but you might end up being glad you did if she turns out to improve your life - good luck.

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2016 at 23:13, AuZeus said:

Cheers guys for the feedback

your right @Oldun heart said one amount but my head said another, so I've split the difference and place a bid straight down the middle,

If I win the forum will be the first place to know.   

How did you get on?

£1800 hammer.

one other G3  1817 in VF grade went for £1200 (estimate £400 - 500) and a pair of Williams in good fine £1900 (estimate £600 -700)

A buoyant sale, some fabulous coins and some high prices too!

3 hours ago, Pipers said:

£1800 + commission? if so what was the % (usually around 20%)   

To me the G and D is the nicer design.  

was 20% exactly + vat on this so takes it up to almost 25%. Plus postage etc which usually isn't cheap.

• 2 years later...

Please help me! Just bought and 1818 full gold sovereign. Good condition. Hardly worn but weighs 7.80g. Is this a fake? Other diameters are okay and it has the same tone as all my other old Sovereigns. 

Hi all. I have a 1818 Sovereign that is the correct diameter of 22.05. It is slightly thinner at 1.4mm and weighs exactly 7.80g. It does not look too worn. Compared to other Sovereigns I have it is certainly 22ct gold. Is there a chance it could be a fake being about 0.18g underweight? Please help guys. Any advice much appreciated. Steven. 

AD119121-86DA-4327-A583-9B95B8F50EE2.jpeg

I am no expert of sovereigns, but I have weighed many coins which should weigh 6,45 grams. Due to wear some quite worn coins had weights down to about 6,30.

So if a sovereign weighs about 0,18 grams less, it should be quite worn. 

If it's in a good condition I would estimate a fake, if it's worn I think it's a normal weight difference. 

On 06/04/2019 at 21:37, Fully said:

Please help me! Just bought and 1818 full gold sovereign. Good condition. Hardly worn but weighs 7.80g. Is this a fake? Other diameters are okay and it has the same tone as all my other old Sovereigns. 

I have just compared your picture to sovereign pictures from the same date. 

To me the condition of the coin doesn't look like good or hardly worn.... I would say it's worn down alot. 

I am no expert of sovereigns, but I have weighed many coins which should weigh 6,45 grams. Due to wear some quite worn coins had weights down to about 6,30.

So if a sovereign weighs about 0,18 grams less, it should be quite worn. 

If it's in a good condition I would estimate a fake, if it's worn I think it's a normal weight difference. 

Hope this helps you. Would be interested in other opinions. 

32 minutes ago, Fully said:

1818 Sovereign that is the correct diameter of 22.05. It is slightly thinner at 1.4mm and weighs exactly 7.80g. It does not look too worn. Compared to other Sovereigns I have it is certainly 22ct gold. Is there a chance it could be a fake being about 0.18g underweight?

That is a very worn coin bearing in mind that the relief is in quite a high profile. A loss of 0.18g isn't an issue in this case.

Whether it's fake or not is another matter but the weight isn't an issue IMO

9 hours ago, Fully said:

Thank you. Any advice on how I can get a proper evaluation on its authenticity? Many thanks again. 

you could go to a local coin dealer who knows about these coins and ask him for hes opinion. Grading is expensive...and if it gets graded the grade wouldn't be good I guess...

• 3 weeks later...

Some dealers or auction houses offer to do free valuations via high res pictures or as others have said you can visit them and most will examine a few coins for free.  They will also come to your house but then you have to pay their expenses for a start.

I can't recall which do this but I have seen it offered as I was looking for such a service to please insurance companies who seem to require you to do this every three years so if your valuation or receipts are older they won't cover you.

Archived