• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Numistacker

NGC Grading Submissions Open

12 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Self submitting one coin to NGC London requires:

Membership with NGC 

A journey to London 

£28 for one modern coin in fees

A journey back to London to pick the Colin up.

Self submitting one coin to NGC USA 

Membership with NGC

Postage to Florida  £10 

£22 roughly in fees

Postage back from Florida $35 £24 min (not insured)

£56 for a single coin

Anyone can do these things and self submit however a typical handful of coins can require three or more tiers, maybe modern or gold or value for example. There would be a tier fee of $10/£12 for each.

Charging a handling fee for each tier is certainly a good way to increase profits for NGC......

5 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I think NGC do grading credit for some of their membership tiers so a low number submitter will effectively get free membership.

Membership starts at $25 for the basic submission privileges, for $149 you get a $150 credit towards your grading fees

8 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Membership with NGC 

A journey to London 

Membership with NGC

Postage to Florida  £10 

£22 roughly in fees

£56 for a single coin

Anyone can do these things and self submit however a typical handful of coins can require three or more tiers, maybe modern or gold or value for example. There would be a tier fee of $10/£12 for each.

I spoke to NGC UK on a Mis-Classification query and we touched on their pricing tier.  Interestingly, the prices that they quote on NGC UK are already Gross of VAT.  Therefore if you do submit to them for it go to the US for grading, its a £10 tier fee plus £15 per coin for grading or £25 per coin for conservation and grading.  If graded in the UK, its £18 and £30 respectively

I am fortunate in that I am in London most weeks on business, but for the amount I grade, I would still rather put through Numi - Its quite fun seeing your coins on the videos. 

37 minutes ago, Mike said:

I spoke to NGC UK on a Mis-Classification query and we touched on their pricing tier.  Interestingly, the prices that they quote on NGC UK are already Gross of VAT.  Therefore if you do submit to them for it go to the US for grading, its a £10 tier fee plus £15 per coin for grading or £25 per coin for conservation and grading.  If graded in the UK, its £18 and £30 respectively

I am fortunate in that I am in London most weeks on business, but for the amount I grade, I would still rather put through Numi - Its quite fun seeing your coins on the videos. 

Any coins that Numi sends in the same tier should theoretically bring the price down, so for example, 10 coins in the modern tier would be £1 each for each coin in that tier, or am i missing something? Then i would assume postage is split between everyone who's submitted, again bringing the cost down, i don't know if numi gives the 15% discount he receives as an NGC authorised dealer, but he said a few posts above that its only the case on certain tiers.

Personally, from my experience of both NGC and PCGS, i find NGC the more expensive of the 2 and thats with me saving on postage both ways

6 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Any coins that Numi sends in the same tier should theoretically bring the price down, so for example, 10 coins in the modern tier would be £1 each for each coin in that tier, or am i missing something? Then i would assume postage is split between everyone who's submitted, again bringing the cost down, i don't know if numi gives the 15% discount he receives as an NGC authorised dealer, but he said a few posts above that its only the case on certain tiers.

Personally, from my experience of both NGC and PCGS, i find NGC the more expensive of the 2 and thats with me saving on postage both ways

Yes - I agree, the tier fee is lower when multiple coins are present - as for the 15% discount, Numi has to receive coins, sort them, batch them, fill in the NGC grading forms, package them up, post them, deal with queries (eg moves from grading to conservation etc), receive them back, sort them, package them up, post to the SF members - No, he doesn't pass this on, but for my money, its saves me a lot of hassle, time and not having to worry about making mistakes - I'm happy to pay the 15%

I've kind of started down the road go NGC, and my OCD tendencies won't let me have coins graded with different holders etc...😪

Edited by Mike

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yes - I agree, the tier fee is lower when multiple coins are present - as for the 15% discount, Numi has to receive coins, sort them, batch them, fill in the NGC grading forms, package them up, post them, deal with queries (eg moves from grading to conservation etc), receive them back, sort them, package them up, post to the SF members - No, he doesn't pass this on, but for my money, its saves me a lot of hassle, time and not having to worry about making mistakes - I'm happy to pay the 15%

I've kind of started down the road go NGC, and my OCD tendencies won't let me have coins graded with different holders etc...😪

Ahhh the labour of love has a price lol..........

I'm happy running things through Numi and he sorts everything out for me - the most hassle i have to do is shove the coins in an envelope and post them, he sends me a bill, I pay, everyones happy. I dont see this changing for me in the future, its all too easy for me to carry on with Numi helping out.

It just happens that I'm in london this weekend so if I buy what im after, I'll see how easy it is to hand it to NGC UK at the coin show (I have a grading membership) and try grading direct.

I didn't even think about a discount or saving for Numi - tbh, its going to cost me the same to send myself or via Numi so meh, who cares if he saves money overall, didn't even cross my mind.

As always, thanks Numi for offering your time to sort out the grading :) 

1 hour ago, shortstack68 said:

..., i don't know if numi gives the 15% discount he receives as an NGC authorised dealer,...

I don't understand why @Numistacker should be giving back the discount he receives. He is a dealer, he acts as a dealer (doing work, administration, taking responsibility etc.), so he deserves to get something for this. He neither does us a favor or we do to him, to me at least it seems a pretty fair deal. And even if ιτ started as a hobby, he has taken it much further than that and deserves some reward, either material or not.

Personally I don't know if and when I would have started grading without him, as there are no dealers where I am (Ireland) and I couldn't decide to undergo all this by myself. Not to mention his great videos which are really inspiring! 🧐

Edited by Gildeon

45 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

@shortstack68 If you personally do not want to use my grading service then don’t.

Others , if you think going direct makes sense for you then that’s fine with me.

When I stared this there were a few coins to be graded and I charged to cover my direct costs. Mostly I underestimated and sometimes I lost money. That still sometimes happens as I will forget to charge something or I will use SD postage to send back interim coins and not charge.

Recently I have been doing more of this work and was approached by NGC to become a dealer. That took things to a new level..

B2D058A8-1C52-4E98-A08A-4289226FE2BA.thumb.jpeg.42f584bc795545cfd3a87db1d5b274d4.jpeg

it takes DAYS of work to do this now and thankfully NGC give me a 15% Dealer margin. There is tons of work and a massive responsibility and frankly to process £100,000 of coins at a time and make no mistakes and deal with issues and communication and lose money just can’t happen. 

I have set up systems that I believe can work effectively  and I have use the systems to process several thousand coins.  I publish two price lists one for NGC UK and one for NGC USA. All prices are set out extremely clearly. 

I set out the advantages and disadvantages the costs and benefits and leave you to make up your mind what your preference is. 

Given the effort I make with this and given the great many grading successes many of you have achieved I find the things being written presently in this thread extremely insulting.  When I first started a few years ago on this forlum I would not have been so vocal about how I felt when reading some of these insulting comments but I feel that I have pulled my weight to the extent required for me to now say to anyone writing these things  that once you start debating whether or not I should keep my 15% or not a long line has been crossed.

It was a question, not an insult. If you can point to which part of the question was insulting then I would apologise, but I don’t see how it can be taken as insult as I don’t know the ins and outs of what your deals.

Also, as you know, I use NGC in Munich myself and haven’t gone through you as I can write out submissions and have sent to PCGS Paris (there are also no agents for PCGS in Munich) now i self submit in Munich, so as I said, i don’t know the ins and outs of what you do and therefor I asked what looks to me to be a fairly normal question.

57 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

@shortstack68 If you personally do not want to use my grading service then don’t.

Others , if you think going direct makes sense for you then that’s fine with me.

When I stared this there were a few coins to be graded and I charged to cover my direct costs. Mostly I underestimated and sometimes I lost money. That still sometimes happens as I will forget to charge something or I will use SD postage to send back interim coins and not charge.

Recently I have been doing more of this work and was approached by NGC to become a dealer. That took things to a new level..

B2D058A8-1C52-4E98-A08A-4289226FE2BA.thumb.jpeg.42f584bc795545cfd3a87db1d5b274d4.jpeg

it takes DAYS of work to do this now and thankfully NGC give me a 15% Dealer margin. There is tons of work and a massive responsibility and frankly to process £100,000 of coins at a time and make no mistakes and deal with issues and communication and lose money just can’t happen. 

I have set up systems that I believe can work effectively  and I have use the systems to process several thousand coins.  I publish two price lists one for NGC UK and one for NGC USA. All prices are set out extremely clearly. 

I set out the advantages and disadvantages the costs and benefits and leave you to make up your mind what your preference is. 

Given the effort I make with this and given the great many grading successes many of you have achieved I find the things being written presently in this thread extremely insulting.  When I first started a few years ago on this forlum I would not have been so vocal about how I felt when reading some of these insulting comments but I feel that I have pulled my weight to the extent required for me to now say to anyone writing these things  that once you start debating whether or not I should keep my 15% or not a long line has been crossed.

i think numi does an amazing job, and i wouldnt want to use any one else, hassle free with his experience, and he has saved me a bit of money on a few occasions by telling me 1 or 2 of my coins arnt worth gradin or would get very poor grades, so i cannot thank numi enough, and we also get great unboxing videos too boot, all good

It was the chance of getting my coins graded that I felt was such an important next step in improving the quality of my collection and @Numistacker made this possible. It will be no surprise that most of these coins have been sixpences however there have also been a few Napoleonic issues in the mix, one of which  @Numistacker took personally to the US and graded as a 'walk-through' - I can not express enough thanks for this as it is my most valuable coin.

Grading coins also introduced me to the Registry Sets and some of these sets are extremely impressive and something to aspire to - my sixpence sets have a long way to go!

However I was amazed this year to be awarded 'Best Classic Set' for my, nearly complete Napoleon Typeset in the NGC 2018 Registry Set Awards. All this is down to the amazing work, time and effort @Numistacker puts in on behalf of the Silver Forum members, and personally has renewed my enthusiasm for coin collecting once more.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7102/

@Numistacker‘s response above details why I choose to use his services and will continue to do so - a huge effort goes in.

@shortstack68 - I don’t know you from a hole in the ground, so I’m entirely willing to accept your innocent explanation. However, in my view, a number of your posts in recent days were filled with insinuation and implied criticism. Frankly, Numi did well to hold his tongue for so long before lobbing one back.

3 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

@Numistacker‘s response above details why I choose to use his services and will continue to do so - a huge effort goes in.

@shortstack68 - I don’t know you from a hole in the ground, so I’m entirely willing to accept your innocent explanation. However, in my view, a number of your posts in recent days were filled with insinuation and implied criticism. Frankly, Numi did well to hold his tongue for so long before lobbing one back.

Not sure about lobbing anything back at me or which posts you imply. As for criticism, it’s the nature of the beast in any job or if you are doing some sort of customer services job.

I wont stroke egos, no matter who they think they are or however famous they think they are.

I will continue to use @Numistacker, accepting that I could easily do this myself.  I could also wash and iron my own shirts, do my own cleaning at home, cut the grass rather than pay the neighbour’s lad to it etc.  However my time is precious and I would rather someone else does it and I am very happy to pay directly or indirectly for their labours.   If I have caused offence in my post earlier, it was not intended. @Numistacker does a fantastic job and I’ve been delighted with the results I’ve received.  

Numi has also been very helpful to me personally with advice on a non-coin issue and I remain very grateful for that and all he does for the Silver Forum

10 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

I wont stroke egos, no matter who they think they are or however famous they think they are.

Yes, I got that impression.

As it happens, neither will I, but I’ve not come across anybody who fits that description here.

Just recently there have been post's regarding the service's of some long standing member's of the forum under the guise of "just asking the question"  namely @BackyardBullion & @Numistacker.

I don't know the in's and out's but if you go to a restaurant and get good service you give a tip, 10 -15%.I dont care if anyone makes a small % or not. They provide a service and I'm happy to pay for it.

If you are questioning the cost of grading a coin or buying a coin down to the last pound then maybe just DIY and see if you can actually save money on a single coin or maybe grading isn't for you.

For nearly all, these guys provide a valuable service and knowledge, on the best forum in the country. If anybody was "pulling a fast one" they would soon get found out, as other chancer's have found out.

Keep going guys and dont let the "#######"s grind you down.

@Numistacker takes on a lot of responsibility handling the amount of coins that get sent to him and the time consuming task of communicating with members, providing advice, receiving, processing, packaging and shipping coins as well as the administration involved with sending for grading and handling issues with NGC when they have made mistakes.

It is incredibly insulting to question him passing on the dealer discount he receives for all this work, why should he pass it on? If anything he should be adding a fee!

On 31/01/2019 at 08:52, Numistacker said:

Membership with NGC 

A journey to London 

Membership with NGC

Postage to Florida  £10 

£22 roughly in fees

£56 for a single coin

Whoever uses Numi is in safe hands he is considerate, very hard working, all-round tops, I have never met the man personally but the advice he has given me is nothing but superb, and the quality of the work he does for all is invaluable. 

Thank you Numistacker.

Gaza.

Not that @Numistacker needs more messages of support, but for the ease of service I’m very happy if he can get something back! It makes no difference for me, as it’s still cheaper/easier than me going direct.

I’d also be happy throwing in a service fee to ensure it stays a sustainable business model.