• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

So i think we have a fair few whiskey drinkers here?

I have always drank cheap whisky mixed with coke when i did, but recently i have started enjoying sipping neat whisky and appreciating the taste..So im looking for any tips on good ones to try, Currently just bought a 70cl bottle of Glenfiddich 12yr aged signiture malt (£25 quid from tescos down from £35) so really cheap stuff compared to a lot of whiskey but at a mere 2x cheap plonk price its just so much nicer, presentation and cork n all..I have also bought 3 x 5cl minitures with the 12 yr , 15 yr and 18yr bottles to try.

So, any recommendations? what whiskey do you most enjoy?

Also Investment..Are anyone of the currently avalible whiskeys worth stocking long term? (ie the 18yr matured Glenfiddich at £67.50 per bottle) Is this Likely to appreciate long term? On the whisky exchange I did notice asking prices for bottles of Grants bottled in the 80s at £150 upwards but I have not reasearched into this and have no idea if anyone buying them at that price.

Edited by Madstacks

23 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Ah, you have started one of the best threads EVER!

my top picks for excellent price/flavour and quality are:-

Highland Park 12yr 

Talisker 10yr

and if you want a blend

Monkey Shoulder - comes in a very cool bottle too!

Ah i have a little 5cl bottle of monkey sholder arriving tommorow from some free amazon pantry credit i got a while back! will crack that one open tomorrow:)

14 minutes ago, Danny-boy said:

I have mate, it's nice but not as nice as BDW.

It's a little "obvious".

What do you mean by obvious mate? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aberlour-ABunadh-Highland-Single-Scotch/dp/B004CY91AA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I love the fact this one has the individual batch number and strength on it, good reviews too.

SO much to try, So many choices! Silly question but once opened how long does whisky keep? I May well build up a fairly large collectionB)

Whisky will keep indefinitely. It is best to a put a "little" water into the mix which actually brings out the flavour and aroma. By a little maybe 10:1 

Singleton 12y is a favourite of mine at the moment.,

Cheers Stu, I do remeber hearing that but wanted to confirm - Thats just given the green light to start a collection:D

I may even put a few select ones away for long term investment. at least if they dont work out profitiable i will still get to enjoy them! 

40 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

It must be an aquired taste indeed.

My recolections of drinking whisky is it tasted like what i assume Napalm would.

My thoughts exactly.

Give me a decent bottle of Rum any day.

Thats a fair point and im not sure on that neither, but i believe whiskys popularity is growing worldwide, and to my very limited knowledge differnt "batches" are different in taste and strength. So stocking the right batches could be lucrative.

For me personaly though the main thing is if it didnt go up in value I can still enjoy it:)

Wine is not my thing, though could very well be a better investment. 

Edited by Madstacks

I may be wrong, but whiskeys taste does not change over time. Thus not making it a investment? Better off buying a expensive red wine from 2013+ and keeping it for 20 years in my humble opinion.

A silver coin doesn't change either. Lose or melt enough down, and the remaining examples become more rare and sought after.

Whiskey is the same if you buy right, although that gets imbibed. [emoji12]

I'm surprised none of our Scots members have pulled you up about your spelling of "whisky" yet, which is the Scottish way. "Whiskey" is the Irish and American way,:)

The Aberlour 12 yr old is very nice and good value but if you get the chance to buy the 16yr old, it's a definite step up.

To list my favourites, I'd be here all night, but in general I'm a fan of Islay malt especially Caol Ila, Finlaggan cask strength and the very best Lagavulin but that's getting a bit expensive these days. The same could be said of many of my old favourites as malt has become much more popular with drinkers worldwide in recent years and I would also say that quality has suffered as the distilleries have struggled to keep up with demand.

Many scotch drinkers do find Islay malt a bit strong and peaty but it's an acquired taste.

There are many nice Highland malts and this is one region where the supermarket own brands are worth tasting.

A couple of my favourite Highlands are original Glenmorangie and Dalwhinnie although the quality of the latter has definitely deteriorated recently. 20 yrs ago it was pure nectar.

I also like Talisker (Skye) and one of their new varieties,Talisker Storm is worth trying.

re: keeping whisky. it doesn't age or mature in the bottle so the taste won't improve so any anticipated increase in value over time will only come from rarity, although why anyone would want to pay more in the future when it doesn't taste any better than current years is beyond me.

18 hours ago, Danny-boy said:

A silver coin doesn't change either. Lose or melt enough down, and the remaining examples become more rare and sought after.

Whiskey is the same if you buy right, although that gets imbibed. emoji12.png

Good point!

aberlour....the 18 year is fantastic but expensive

the aberlour abunadh is jaw dropping with some water and can be had quite ceap off amazon in the sales.  last year i got the bottle for £44 delivered i think

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aberlour-ABunadh-Highland-Single-Scotch/dp/B004CY91AA/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004CY91AA&pd_rd_r=V599FW6GEDET3Z1CNKR0&pd_rd_w=KXNAs&pd_rd_wg=n8BcJ&psc=1&refRID=V599FW6GEDET3Z1CNKR0

Edited by sovereigns
spelling and link

Opened up a miniture bottle of monkey shoulder, really was not to my taste at all, not keen on the smell or taste of that one. also opened a miniture glenfiddich 15 years old the solera vat, much nicer for me and i preffer it to the glenfiddich 12,. have another miniture of glenfiddich 14 year old rich oak, and have picked up a 35cl bottle of the glenlivet founders reserve from ASDA for £13 , and apparently Sainsburys have Chivas regal 12 year old 35cl bottles for £10 so going to try and get one this afternoon.

Very much enjoying shopping for new whisky to try and drinking in the evening:)

Edit, not keen on glenlivet founders reserve, maybe its a coinsidence but both ones i did not like so much gave no years on the bottle.

The 14 year old rich oak is very nice but the 15 year old Solera vat is slightly above for me.

Edited by Madstacks

On 01/11/2016 at 14:24, Madstacks said:

Opened up a miniture bottle of monkey shoulder, really was not to my taste at all, not keen on the smell or taste of that one. also opened a miniture glenfiddich 15 years old the solera vat, much nicer for me and i preffer it to the glenfiddich 12,. have another miniture of glenfiddich 14 year old rich oak, and have picked up a 35cl bottle of the glenlivet founders reserve from ASDA for £13 , and apparently Sainsburys have Chivas regal 12 year old 35cl bottles for £10 so going to try and get one this afternoon.

Very much enjoying shopping for new whisky to try and drinking in the evening:)

Edit, not keen on glenlivet founders reserve, maybe its a coinsidence but both ones i did not like so much gave no years on the bottle.

The 14 year old rich oak is very nice but the 15 year old Solera vat is slightly above for me.

I've never liked Glenfiddich but must confess I haven't tried any for many a year. Too much the mass produced stuff for the plebs. I am still suffering from that cheap horrible stuff you got in pubs in the 70s when GF was the only malt available to us unsophisticated drinkers. Scotch in those days meant plain blended crap, Nobody ever drunk malt until GF came along.

On 30/10/2016 at 17:00, Clens92 said:

My thoughts exactly.

Give me a decent bottle of Rum any day.

You must have been drinking "rubbing whisky", blended malt/grain.

I always had the same opinion of rum but there again, I didn't realise there was such a thing as "a decent bottle".