• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cloths TAX Allowance.

I claimed a while back for the cleaning of my work uniform it was easy, took a little while for it to come back from the tax people but defiantly worth doing.

A little effort gives you more silver money in your pocket. I wrote to

HM REVENUE & CUSTOMS,

PAY AS YOU EARN,PO BOX 1970,

LIVERPOOL.

L751WX.

This was a couple of years ago so you would need to google it, basically if you ware a uniform that you clean and your boss makes you ware and it is branded so it can not be worn outside of work you can get tax relief on washing it.

They are going to need your employers name for the last four years, if you get cleaning vouchers or allowance from your boss, what your job is and what sector.

The best bit is do you want the back pay in your wage or a cheque. Then you carry on tax relief at wages. 

Have a try a cheque = PM's folks.

Please feel free to update this thread if things have changed in the process.

This forum is getting like moneysavingexpert.com or netmums! I love it. Perhaps we need a new thread for ways to earn extra money for our silver pots. I have just switched from BT to Sky so get £120 through Top cash back and then a £100 loaded mastercard from Sky.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

• 2 weeks later...

Best to put a claim for everything, include receipts. for example you may like to have a beard but your boss state's  you have to be clean shaved  I know one person this has worked for. Tools if you are p.a.y.e you can still claim for your tools (not just self employed) you buy for your job this esp applies to tradesmen but also to anyone who is required to supply their own tools buckets boots overalls ECT !  Many bosses pocket the tax relief of their employees because of the employees ignorance.  

Always keep your pay slips and P60 for 6 years, get in touch with the tax man once a year to make sure the company have paid your tax and NI, yes bosses lie especially to younger employees.  The tax man is always very helpful to P.a.y.e especially if he thinks a company is stealing from an employee and the tax man. 

When I worked for 'Queen and Country' I was posted to no-man's land somewhere in the Californian desert.
Brilliant I thought as it was extremely hot during the day when I was working and I would get a clothing allowance.
I cut out the local newspaper weather reports ( hot & sunny of course ) every day for a full month and daytime temperatures were typically 105F often 120F in the shade !
I only needed a temperature of 80F to qualify.
The penny pinching civil servants told me on my return that as the temperatures dropped to about 50F in the middle of the night, their simple AVERAGE was 77.5F so f** off - I didn't get any allowance.
I knew then that the clothing allowance was for hot sweaty equatorial countries only.
I didn't think the Revenue would come to my aid - silly me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure most of you know this as you seem like a smart bunch of people.

But I think some people overlook this as they assume these entitlements are only for self employed people.

If you wear a work uniform and wash/maintain it yourself you can claim back a few hundred pound for the last 5 years.

Also If you drive somewhere that is not your normal place of work you are entitles to claim back the fuel plus a percentage for maintaining your vehicle. Any work done for an agency also counts as not your normal place of work.

My agency at the time sorted this out for me but most agencies or employers wont tell you.

Hopefully nothing has changed as its been a few years since i was eligible for these rebates.

You can find all forms on the direct gov website. 

Tools required for work , home office energy bills , home office everything 

some car repairing bills ( not all of it ) 

car tax if you can proof more than 75% of driving are for work , insurance (s) 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Archived