• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Tip of the month July 2016 - Nanjing Panda series

Thanks for all the support guys. As you quite rightly say everyone is free to buy or not buy. One thing I can say is that unless I am able to offer something at a price cheaper than the market I dont do I t as its very important that anyone here gets a deal as that's partly what it's about.

I have found that it is very difficult to even make a pound or two on these type of items. They are originally bought in yuan, sold in Singapore dollars, converted to American dollars, then converted to pounds. I can certainly tell you guys that I am not doing this for the money!

When I can say is that I believe that the story relating to low mintage Chinese medals is pretty strong in investment terms. China is going to grow and develop and for the first time I have had Chinese dealers buying my eBay coins to resell in China! Many pandas sell for more in China than they do in the west.

If a medal is pretty and artistic then no matter what it is made of if it has less than 300 or so minted and is less than $150 it's worth a look.

For those that do not feel that that copper or brass have any merit, then I would suggest looking at the 2 ounce silver medals with a diameter of less than 45 mm. I think this represents the sweet spot at the for the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi, I hope all is well with everybody.

Is anybody having trouble getting their orders.

I ordered on 16th July and not recieved my order yet.

I have emailed them and had no reply.

Deputydog

Are you talking about Lucky?

The Nanjing pandas are not quite there yet from the mint. Last info I have is that shipping will start in 2 weeks.

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes the Nanjing pandas.

I am going to get the panda 2oz silver coin as well.

What do you think of the Nanjing mint other 2016 coin, god of longitivity I think.

Thanks

Deputydog

I have two of the God of longevity if you need one. It's nice I think mine are NGC pf69 . When the silver comes available I will try to get a couple of them.

Russell

Hi, I will probably get 2 myself.

How do you find get emails from them? I need to get a new password and still waiting for an email.

Thanks

Deputydog

I have never had any problems so far

Do these things have much of a history?  Did the Nanking mint produce much before 1897?  I know the dragon dollars fom the end of the 19th century onwards are very expensive but because I don't know anything about them and there are so many fakes around I always ignored them.

Aren't these medals a fairly recent thing.  

Unfortunately I don't really buy anything that isn't a coin in general and even find BoE tokens, modern sovereigns etc, a stretch at times.  I don't flip anything so buying for a short term profit isn't something I'd aim for and I feel that since these have little intrinsic value they may go out of fashion in a few years time.  They probably won't, or not to the extent you'd lose a huge amount but I can't help feeling that if they were that popular they would limit sales to one per person and perhaps sell them directly fom the mint to Addresses in China only.

The mints don't seem to work that way in China. Unlike America where that everything is down on line direct by the mint, in China distribution is carried out by large banks for regular fiat issues and medals are generally sponsored by the sponsors or dealers or a combination in order to spread the risk.

Mintages go from 18 at the lowest to 5000 or so at the highest and many series have a history that covers a number of iyears and many of the of the of the medals have shown significant appreciation. Classical gardens, Nanjing pandas and Panda Lunars for example.

Medals all not a recent thing and seem to go back at least to the 1970s and probably before. Many of the medals from this area all extremely expensive and valuable. They are not for everyone but there is a growing interest and collector base and in my opinion are a better bet than almost anything produced by the Royal Mint or US mint.

Always buy what you like with coins. Fashion does have an influence at every market level.

My Chinese medal collection will be limited to Panda Lunar, Nanjing Panda, Auspicious Matters and I hear a rumor Shanghai is going to bring back the baby panda as a series this year (first ones were 2014).

I might buy others depending on mintage and design.

Watching eBay for sold listings.

Antique Brass/Copper Pairs have sold twice in the last week. Mintage was 30 and price sold for was $690. Brass sold on eBay a few times for $150 mintage 99

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would give you an update on how my tip for July has gone.

Copper tipped at $50 last sale $75 and now headed to $100

Brass tipped at $100 and last sale I can see $150 with no availability I can see. Probably some being graded but prices are likely to get to $300 graded I think in next 3 months.

Antique copper and brass set 30 mintage tipped at $500 last sales (a few) at $690 and probably 12 or so worldwide and I suspect most of those will be graded- a 2014 set is available for $2,500 graded one for the brave.

8fb6122aa556ac24357530ccd3d1443f.jpg
bcc64246c0b764a4fada150ea55f59d4.jpg
7a84794699854209c76837c4a93b55e1.jpg

Recent eBay sales - please note that some sales are by a fraudulent seller who is selling product he does not have using Lucky's photographs!

Be very careful and review feedback.

All of the sales at lower than market price are fraudulent sales

Nanjing update

Silver proof and Silver proof Antique 65g medals are pre-orderable from Luckymomeyro and will be delivered in about a month.

6d0ac74996be7c5f80905b310bc5f53b.jpg

42c765a2570d95b13b879eb0005d8080.jpg

30 mintage for antique
199 mintage for silver proof

Different colours but at the end of the day, the same panda(s)[emoji3]

Different dates but at the end of the day the same 7.98g of fine gold... [emoji6]

1 hour ago, Numistacker said:

Different dates but at the end of the day the same 7.98g of fine gold... emoji6.png

Touche but I'd rather have the gold than the copper;)

To be fair, I almost bought a 2 oz proof yesterday but got a 2oz mouse instead.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

If I buy a gold Sovereign now at £240 it has a 25% chance of reaching £280 and a 75% chance of reaching £210 imho.

If I buy a silver Nanjing panda at $135 (now $150) it has a 10% chance of $100 fire sale and a 50% chance of hitting $200 ungraded and a 40% chance of hitting $400+ graded at 69 say.

Archived