• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Collecting Mexican Libertads Proof | BU

UKSILVERCOINS

• Founder & Administrator

Mintage is higher than 250, just that they only made 250 sets. To call this mintage is not technically correct.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, mintage will be higher , 250 sets with 1/10-5oz in proof coins, dealers normally hold back 10 sets each, that leaves 230 sets for the open market, their is more than 230 proof libertad collectors in Germany alone, never mind America , I can see these sets doubling in price over a year period, also these are government mint issue coins ,and have a large collector market

Yes, I also think they should do well. If I had spare money I might of bought a set to flip, but they aren't really my thing to collect. For me I don't like sets with varying sizes. The libertads are beautiful though, I will at some point purchase a proof silver and a gold bullion, and maybe a gold proof.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

From a quick look around it seems that the 5 coin sets are twice the price of the 3 coin sets.  That means the extra premium is for a 1/10 and 1/20.  If I were to collect (which I have thought about), I would get the 3 coin sets.  I think the 1oz proofs should come with boxes and certs.  You pay a premium yet they just give you a capsule.

From a quick look around it seems that the 5 coin sets are twice the price of the 3 coin sets. That means the extra premium is for a 1/10 and 1/20. If I were to collect (which I have thought about), I would get the 3 coin sets. I think the 1oz proofs should come with boxes and certs. You pay a premium yet they just give you a capsule.

Libertads proofs don't come in a box? That's nice to know, I decanter coins into a lighthouse case so for me the box is just a wasted thing to need to store incase I decide to sell.

Discounts / Offers

The 5 coin sets are the ones to grab, all others are variations of original, they tried a 4 coin set last year ( 800 sets for Mexico market, 2 proof and 2 bu coins ) did not sell well . Only variation of 5 coin set was the 2012 4 coin anniversary set , this sold well as no other choice that year . Sold all 2013 5 coin proof sets into European market last year, did not go down well in American market, but sold most of the 250 gold 5 piece sets (100) to large American retailer, A###X, who split up over 50 boxes and had these individual coins graded did not go down well in Europe . No one knows what the Mexican mint will do, or who they will sell to. This year could be the only year of (250) 7 coin sets, or next year their could be 1000 sets , Remember 2012 their was no proofs in 2oz or 5oz ?

Woohooo. Managed to bag one of the sets.  I really do hope it is worth it coz it's not cheap.

Choice bullion have a few more available.

From world mint news

2014 Silver Libertads Ready for Release

Critics of the US Mint and its seemingly arbitrary approach to release dates and sell-outs beware: there’s a new sheriff in town! Yes, it’s the time of the year when collectors look at the empty holes in their albums and hearts where 2014 is lined up, and say: Hey, what’s going on down in Mexico at North America’s oldest Mint?

Well, some things never change, and for collectors of these chupacabras of the numismatic world, this is an exciting time. The 2014 Silver Libertad coins are finally being released! Of course, this wouldn’t be a true libertad release without some confusion to go along with the excitement.

This year, for the first time ever, the Banco de Mexico is releasing a 7 coin silver proof set, with a mintage of 250 and a unique wood box and COA. They are releasing the full complement of silver fractional proofs: 1/2 ounce, 1/4 ounce, 1/10 ounce, and 1/20 ounce, available with the 1 ounce proof in a 5 coin set in the wood box (liberated collectors pay big premiums for the wooden boxes with COAs). The 5 ounce proof and 2 ounce proof will finish the 7 coin sets.

For the BU (non-proof) silver coins- there will be fractionals in the same denominations, but no sets with limited numbers. There will be a kilo silver as well.

So what does this mean for Libertad collectors? Since the mintages for each year are a crapshoot (2012 was a low proof year with no proof fractionals, and 2013 was not, comparatively), the excitement will come later in the year when the mintage numbers are released.

One thing is certain: the limited number sets will retain their values, as the 2012 and 2013 sets have done, while the proof silver coins will fluctuate in price as demand outstrips supply- which tends to be most of the time.

As Mexico licks its wounds from a last second World Cup loss, 2014 is as unpredictable as ever. The gold libertads (all 5 BU and Proof denominations were released) have been available since the end of March, and the silvers still haven’t been released to the public. The beautiful liberated: the only coin where silver glitters more elusively than goal-d!

• 4 weeks later...

2014 Libertads available from Germany at www.muenzdachs.de within the next 40-50 days. First batch of the 5oz Libertad already sold out.

1oz & 2oz coins come in zip bags or in tubes of 20. 5oz in zip bags or 5 in original box of the Mexican Mint.

1oz €20.95 / £16.60 http://www.muenzdachs.de/epages/63784639.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63784639/Products/0754

2oz €42.95 / £34.03 http://www.muenzdachs.de/epages/63784639.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63784639/Products/0753

5oz 107.95 / £85.53 http://www.muenzdachs.de/epages/63784639.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63784639/Products/0752

2014 Mexico Libertad 5 coin Silver Proof set €134.95 / £106.93 http://www.muenzdachs.de/epages/63784639.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63784639/Products/0751

available within the next 50 days. Mintage 1,000 (only 500 sets outside America)

website states that there is no shipping outside of Germany but just email and ask to pay with paypal including insured shipping.

I spoke to Soeren who helped get my 2009 2oz Proof landed in the UK for 66.

info@muenzdachs.de

paying with paypal is additional 4% fees.

post-131-0-58346900-1406200521_thumb.jpg

post-131-0-99608200-1406200528_thumb.jpg

post-131-0-55211600-1406200551_thumb.jpg

post-131-0-46669900-1406200767_thumb.jpg

The 2014 bullion libertad has a mintage of only 1000?

Discounts / Offers

I think the fact that so much Mexican silver have low mintages, great designs and interesting subject matter makes them bigtime sleepers for long term appreciation.  We really enjoy collecting libertads in particular, old and new, proof and BU, but the more interesting pieces we are constantly bargain hunting for.  I'll take some pictures soon to share here :)

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifDSCN0376.jpgBought two of theses badgirl 2013  kilo silver proof-like Libertads ~ 1 month ago...luvin them

Cheers,

Luker

That is awesome!   I've wondered why they are always referred to as 'prooflike' when they are actually reverse proof strike compared to the BU and Proof libertads in my opinion.  Reverse proof seems to do them more justice to me, but whatever they're called, they're stunning!

• 1 month later...

7 coin proof libertad set, the biggest thing to hit the libertad market EVER, limited mintage of 250 sets , official coa and box, this set will fly in the European markets, but i doubt many will reach Europe . Will be snapped up by American buyers. If you get a chance ,buy one

. Well lads did you buy one , issue price $475.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-MEXICO-LIBERTAD-7-COIN-SILVER-PROOF-SET-ULTRA-RARE-ONLY-1-ON-EBAY-/121456107787?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item1c4759210b

Sorry, thought I got away with it, son is looking for engagement ring , and sent me link . 

Yes I believe you  :lol:

In all seriousness the 7 coin set looks a beauty you'll be counting the days down no doubt until its arrival.

I'm doing the same for a rare lunar I've been after for 18 months.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived