• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1oz Gold coin

rebnah

Hey people

Ive decided to stop at 300 silver Britannia's and 300oz of silver bars for now and have started to buy a few gold Britannia's

Are the other Britannia's 2012,13,14 and 2015 years worth having too for a resale in the future? or should i just get a load of the 2016?

My question is should i just keep buying the Gold Britannia's for now or are there other 1oz gold coins that you would recommend worth buying? perhaps cheapest 1oz gold coins

Looking to hold on to them for a while rather than try and sell to make a quid few quid.

Cheers

Gold Britannias have been the generic same design since 2012 now.  1000s minted each year mean they will most likely ever be worth whatever spot is at when you come to sell

Earlier 22carat pre-2012 gold britannias have some variant designs

As you are early to the stacking party enjoy the ride and just get one of everything that is cheapest to spot.  Britannia, Krugerrand, eagle, maple, phillys, panda,kanagroo, lunar, angel, libertard, buffalo.  Then go on getting x1 of the smaller world coins francs, ponds, rands, roubles, guilders, pescos etc

If your are looking to invest mega money into gold, check with your accountant on CGT implications, britannias or sovereigns are you best bet as they CGT free

Also consider size, once you get north of 1000oz+ of silver.  It dont half start taking up space, harder to hide, more to bury in the garden.

You can hold £50k in gold in your jeans pockets/hidden in a toilet cistern/stuffed in a silent waste pipe or behind the salad in your fridge

If holding for a while consider Britannias first because of their CGT free status. If you are buying a large quantity over time which judging from your silver buying I would say you are, this will likely be a factor in the future. 

Brittanias can be bought for 3% over spot from Hatton Garden Metals when they have them in stock, same as any other ounce of gold from there so why would you not buy them over say kruggerands, AGE's or any other bullion which costs the same but lack the CGT free allowance? If you buy just a couple of ounces of course or looking short term then fair enough it doesn't really matter.

Individual years I don't think they are more valuable in resale, not many bullion 1 oz coins are, though for britannias I have not really looked into it because I stick to the 24ct coins from 2014 onward personally. 

The 1 oz Britannias to me are divided into two categories - 22ct pre 2012 and post 2012 24ct. The 2013 though, while being 24ct is actually a much larger size diameter wise than the 2014,15 and 16 so personally I avoid them as they don't fit into tubes I have.

Hope that helps a bit. I love 24ct gold, but I love CGT free 24ct gold even more. All my own opinion.

Its first in the series, may become popular in years to come

Price is good from baird & co currently, comparable to other 1oz coins just a fiver premium or so

Also consider the royal mint lunar series, a few years in horse, sheep, and now monkey this year. all these x4 would be CGT free was well for you

Although some have moaned about royal mint quality.

It is much nicer to enjoy variant designs and different coins rather than being sat on a tube of the same

House them in some black lighthouse quadrum cases and youll enjoy their look all the more :)

3 minutes ago, Kman said:

I would always go for sovereigns over bog standard 1 oz bullion gold coins like Britannias

Kman 

Is there any particular reason or just personal preference?

Just now, rebnah said:

Kman 

Is there any particular reason or just personal preference?

Sorry, should have included my reasoning

Sovereigns usually always sell for at least a little premium on Ebay (sometimes a good premium), if you buy from Hatton Garden Metals you could probably ring up and ask they will give you some older ones, then there's a chance they will have a bit of numismatic value

So yes, basically sovereigns you have a chance of selling at a premium, 1 oz Britannias you will only ever get spot price.

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

10 minutes ago, rebnah said:

Cool and their cheaper too so I could have more?

They're around 8g and 7.32 of fine gold, so 4 sovereigns are 29.28g fine gold compared to a 1oz which is 31.1g

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

As long as you pick them up close to spot sovereigns would suit your purpose well. The vast majority are bullion value.

They are very common and well known. They are CGT free. I think they would be easier to sell - especially if gold price rises significantly. Some people prefer bigger coins and / or 24k but if you don't care about that sovereigns are perfect.

I love them.

Sovereigns and Britannias are both gold that is CGT free and low premium. The difference is sovereigns are fractional, 22ct gold, they are collectable, lots of history, lots of different designs (not all available at low premium though), potential extra premium if you lucky and put the extra effort in to find a buyer when the times comes - all of this is personal preference and depends whether you care about each point or not and what your strategy is.  

I think they are really nice coins, not the new ones though they look like a shiny penny. The older ones are great though. All imo. 

Rebnah  - don't think you can go far wrong with most of the wise words from our Forum friends. I agree with Paul - nice to get one of each country 1 oz design.  I would put in a special word for Kruggerands due to their worldwide recognition and history, and on the other hand - gold Mexican Libertads - bullion or proof, as they both have ridiculously low mintages so will accumulate a numismatic premium. Just in my opinion....as they are some of my favs! 

Current year pandas are a good bet. Sovereigns are as good as cash. Any fractionals close to spot or premium seem easier to trade than 1oz gold. Gold Libertads are good if the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you like, but for the record I have never had trouble moving a 1 oz coin (or 3 for that matter) for spot at a reputable UK dealer.

personally don't think Sovs are worth a %5 premium.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

7 minutes ago, BaldyBob said:

Whatever you like, but for the record I have never had trouble moving a 1 oz coin (or 3 for that matter) for spot at a reputable UK dealer.

Agree with this. Gold is liquid in any size if selling to a dealer. The difference in liquidity outside of a dealer, if you are intending to sell in the future to private individuals or want that option, then fractional gold has a larger market but often at the cost of higher premiums.

£130 x 4 = £520 for equivalent bullion weight of x1 common traded everyday sovereign which you can pick up for 3-8% over spot, up and down the country/ebay, so today based @ 5% over = £222

Hope there is an upside for you, but think you'll be waiting a long, long, long  time - you have paid 100%+ over the intrinsic gold content of your 1/4 sovereign, you need spot to be north of £2025 just to break even on your purchase price today

To each his own - but i think you would be better using your weekend downtime to reading into your new hobby, digesting info, facts and figures rather than going buy, buy, buy 

You could have twice as much 'gold' now in hand as to what you have just paid, than going to rip off central royal mint.

OK - you get a funky rose wood box, ltd mintage & COA isnt worth shoot when you come to cash in, in most cases, you'll got spot of just below as majority of dealers will pay for you for the intrinsic gold content and that's it

If you can, cancel, try Use your DSR rights to return them if i were you. Or say you are unhappy with them when they arrive.

Archived