• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What size to buy

piddlinginsilver

Hello all,

I have been watching many you tube videos over the past month and have not came across much in terms of what size to buy for short term investment. Which size has the best value a few years down the road in terms of PM Lunar Series?

Thanks in advance

-piddinginsilver

The larger the coin the cheaper the purchase price is per oz

But - The smaller the coin the greater the premium you should be able to achieve when you sell on in the future.

That's not a 100% rule as mintages may come in to play but have a look at the completed listings on ebay for 1/2oz lunars versus 10oz lunars.  It's a matter of choice whilst some people prefer to get the most silver for their money whilst others are happy to flip and rebuy.

I don't think you can beat the good old 1oz silver coin. On the gold side any thing around the Sovereign size, bigger say a 1oz gold coin would be a bit harder to shift.

As per value short term say for a few years then sell, silver lunars, i got a feeling gold lunars might do better over time i may be wrong, Silver Pandas speak for them self's, but buy these from reputable sources because there faked the hell out of. The ever favorite Perth Kookaburra's seem to be slow and steady.

On the other side, if your stacking for the very long term buy the cheapest, horrible, milky silver you can find and drop it in a bucket. and fondle the hell out of it with no gloves on when you've had a bad day at work mmmmmmmmmm milky silver :blink:.Just stack weight.

Or both variety is good.

Disclaimer i am not a financial adviser,Please drink responsibly.Your investment may go down as well as up,if the rash do-sent go in a week seek medical advice.

I have already decided when the Perth Lunar 3 series starts I will be loading up on half oz coins for the first 3 years.  I'm taking the view that there is no point in stocking up since we are on the tail end of the lunar 2 series and waiting until lunar 3 starts and getting in early is the best strategy.  I have come to this conclusion purely by looking at the prices the early 1/2 oz and 1 oz lunar coins are selling for.  From what I can see if you buy a roll from the right place you get a 1/2 oz coin for £9 and once 6 or 7 years have passed the price difference between a 1/2 oz and a full oz narrows so they seem to me to be a better buy.

5 hours ago, SilverPirate said:

Silver Pandas speak for them self's, but buy these from reputable sources because there faked the hell out of.

Surely this is also a reason not to buy them, as most people only want them from a reputable seller.

As an investment you could find it hard to resell on, if you have little reputation within a community. their premiums may hold, but would you be able to shift them

If you are talking about buying say, the year of the monkey now, or the year of the rooster (I think) later this year, then historically speaking you should do well with any of the sizes. Gold fractional have done well, the quarter and half ounce I collect - the older ones are pretty expensive, no guarantee the newer ones will have the same appreciation though. The older silver ones have all done well premium wise, the 1 Oz and half ounce are very liquid and have seen good appreciation. That said consider that it is honestly impossible to know if the lunar series will continue to be popular and gain a premium. At least by buying this years at closer to spot your downside is limited to the downside in spot, the upside is linked to both spot and the premium gain. In effect there are two factors to this investment to consider - what you think the spot price is doing in a few years, and also what you think the collectors market will be doing in a few years. Who knows.

When the time comes consider who you are going to sell to and how - ebay will eat your premiums, a dealer will often only offer spot and certainly wont be paying the premiums they will be reselling at. Worth thinking about. Also with silver lunars, even though they are individually capsuled, consider that there is still a chance for toning/spotting/tarnishing if they are stored/handled incorrectly or if you are just unlucky. That will damage the premiums but won't affect the value of the silver.

I think the older coins have already got a very high premium and so I personally would not go buying those hoping for further gains, but each their own.

1/2oz mintages:

Goat 188,442

Horse 249,155

Snake 160,616

Dragon 389,161

Rabbit 124,488

Tiger 50,035

Ox 17,674

Mouse 17,114

Prior to the Rabbit the mintages were low.  The gain in premiums of the later coins is much lower than the first few and will remain so due to the much higher mintages.  You have to remember that to shift the same weight in silver you must sell twice the amount of coins.  The original premium is higher but when it comes to selling the premium increases again since postage will be twice the percentage of the 1oz.  The number of 1/2oz collectors is much lower than that of the 1oz so not only do you need to sell more coins but also to a smaller collector base who are willing to pay the much higher premiums for the 1/2oz.

I collect x50 1/2 lunars every year. I get 1-2 others each year for my personal keepies stack, but the rest of my coins are 1oz are higher exactly for the 2 reasons pointed out above about postage and buyer pool.

I plan to continue to get 50 of these every year through until the end of series 3-4 then sell them off as complete sets whenever i am retired and needing a holiday are new hip are something. 

It does not matter what you are stacking as long as your stacking something :) 

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

On 6/2/2016 at 09:43, SoulUK said:

Surely this is also a reason not to buy them, as most people only want them from a reputable seller.

As an investment you could find it hard to resell on, if you have little reputation within a community. their premiums may hold, but would you be able to shift them

Print off your receipt,proof of purchase.

Stack what you like the look of.

I personally think that fractional silver is a waste of time because unlike gold 1oz of silver is affordable to anyone, however I am not going to knock anyone for buying fractionals so long as they know why they are buying. 

What I am seeing on the "buy side" of the equation form JM, Provident, Apmex is:

1 oz silver at spot + premium = our cost to buy a 1 oz coin.

So when I have looked at say a 5 or 10 oz coin the equation goes something like:

5 oz silver at spot + 5X the premium of 1 oz of silver = our cost.

IMHO, a 10 oz coin that carried $40 or more total premium for that size coin, just means I have a much higher hill to climb to get to a point of making a profit.

My Daddy told me years ago "it's easier for something to go from 1 dollar to 2 dollars than it is for something to go from 10 dollars to 20."

So I like the 1 oz play.

On 05/06/2016 at 18:18, vand said:

Stack what you like the look of.

I personally think that fractional silver is a waste of time because unlike gold 1oz of silver is affordable to anyone, however I am not going to knock anyone for buying fractionals so long as they know why they are buying. 

This is my view, silver is so cheap 1oz is affordable to everyone, fractional seem a little pointless. Gold however it's  different beast and 1/2 and 1/4 seems a good bet

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

When it comes to lunar 2 it is better to go fractional or multi oz. the 1oz does not have as much potential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

When it comes to lunar 2 it is better to go fractional or multi oz. the 1oz does not have as much potential

What do your stats say for kilos?

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

What do your stats say for kilos?

Avoid kilos unless you just like impressive... For lunars 2oz and 5oz and 1/2oz are the sweet spot

It's weird as I've never seen the attraction to silver below 1oz. It's all personal preference I guess . I do love a 5oz though.

The Gold Sovereign

I have to say that I have a fondness for 1.5oz and 2oz coins. Firstly, they are far less common than 1oz, and are impressively weighty to hold and flip around in your hand. The footprint is the same or only slightly larger than a typical 1oz and its not so bulky that you can't carry it around in your pocket should you want to.

Archived