• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Recommended Reading

Otto

Hi there folks :)

As well as loving silver I'm an absolute book worm.

Are there any books anyone would recommend for a new collector ( apart from Treasure Island ;) )?

Im especially interested in the history of the silver industry, especially in the UK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Dave

Guide to investing gold and silver by Micheal Maloney

Not particularly a UK based book, but more from a global perspective.

The book illustrates the history of PM (precious metals) all the way back to the Greek/Roman empires up until global use today. The book also educated how to research PM, i.e examples of scams to avoid and much more. Yes, some examples are US based, but I have found that similar scenarios occurred or discussed here.

i think the book has distilled the majority of info that you could find on the net and also discussed on the forum. I think it's a good book to have as part of your research and library.

I've been listening and downloaded the audiobook on YouTube and just bought the 2015 Oct update physical book as it has some 2015 additional notes on the original book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Investing-Gold-Silver-Financial/dp/1937832740/ref=la_B001ILHFNA_1_1/276-8641518-4885701?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460463060&sr=1-1

Michael became a gold/silver bug by his research on monetary history, economics, economic cycles investing, and precious metals and came to the conclusion that humans have always considered gold and silver as money for the past 2000 years and that (paper) currency always expires due to debasement.

The book is very easy to read but definitely not to underestimate.

Fofoa
http://fofoa.blogspot.co.uk/

I also think these are Essential YouTube channels, which already have mentioned on your intro : )

BelangP Channel
https://m.youtube.com/user/belangp

I recommend to watch his 'why gold and silver' and 'the nature of savings' playlist.

Junius Maltby Channel
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCfK5KF9J2jfWNq30-OgNoRA

ps. Im loving silver too, however the more I spend time here, the more I'm going towards gold ;).

BelangP's videos are *excellent*. I have watched them all and learnt a great deal, although they deal with macroeconomic theories rather than specific to silver.

I also watched all of silverfish VT's videos when I began stacking (just a few months ago) and learnt a heck of a lot about the physical market and the psychology of being a saver/precious metals buyer.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverfishVT/videos?sort=da&flow=grid&view=0

On 12/04/2016 at 12:19, Otto said:

Hi there folks :)

As well as loving silver I'm an absolute book worm.

Are there any books anyone would recommend for a new collector ( apart from Treasure Island ;) )?

Im especially interested in the history of the silver industry, especially in the UK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Dave

You may have seen it already but this video Bill Still - "The Money Masters" was one of the most influential pieces to waking me up  

3.5 hours well spent

I think his main problem is he looks at today (fiat) in the same light as the past (gold standard) and thinks what happened before must happen again, failing to see the obvious. From reading his books I have found that he has a unhealthy tendency to make very specific predictions (specific dates and values) which suggests ego/over confidence. The worst part of his process is that he finds convenient hindsight reasons as to why his predictions did not come to pass and modify his theory - finding evidence to fit the picture and making up new cycles as he goes. This is fine but he reaches for some very odd occurrences to support his conclusions.

My personal favourite cycle is his demonstration of the apparent sun spot cycle - sun spot increases have coincided with poor economic conditions historically apparently (perhaps when farming was the economic driver that was relevant?). To me his hindsight analysis to show how he will still be right in the future but something else happened in the mean time that offset his prediction date/value just looks like finding vaguely related evidence to fit the picture he wants to see, rather than reassessing his own conclusions. 

BTW I still have a lot of time for his analysis and opinion - I just take his predictions with a massive pinch of salt :lol:

I think he's just out to sell books etc. I'll give him some

credibility if he stands by his predictions and holds all

in us dollar throughout the coming storm.

schiff makes sales of gold. he however practices what

he preaches and is prepared to hold gold.

HH

Archived