• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Avoid These Ebay Sellers/Scammers

We are on the fourth page of this thread wow what a mine field E-bay is.

Minefield indeed, at least a lot of the mines have nice big red flags on top of em, it's the hard to detetect with intent to deceive listings that are the most dangerous. Lost out over silver on eBay twice as a buyer, and once as a seller, managed to recoup my losses apart from return postage fees, probably not bad overall. I think the forum will be my first port of call next time I want something a little better than stacking fodder.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy is knocking out some tat, the description does say layered but not the title,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-999-FINE-SILVER-L-SCOTTSDALE-QUEEN-ELIZABETH-I-I-BULLION-BAR-/251862679531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa42f7feb

up to £17.77 already, but its this one that just states "non magnetic" with no mention of plate or layered that might really catch the unwary, especially if the price climbs a little more.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-RARE-COLLECTABLE-2-DRAGON-CHINESE-MIAO-SILVER-BULLION-BAR-136-GRAMS-/251862701518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa42fd5ce

Great thief!!

algar637 in ebay

He paid a coin and 100 days after, he claims he didn't authorized the payment and paypal has refunded him my money because his bank ordered it. Incredible!!!! And he paid when the auction finished, so I voted him at the moment. Never voted me back, never answered my emails, so I could'nt warn anybody in ebay. I sent the coin the same day, via certified mail. The coin never get back, so he has it.

He is from 43007 Boscos - Tarragona Spain and his name is A.L.G.B. Be very careful, because his method it's very dangerous.

Great thief!!

algar637 in ebay

He paid a coin and 100 days after, he claims he didn't authorized the payment and paypal has refunded him my money because his bank ordered it. Incredible!!!! And he paid when the auction finished, so I voted him at the moment. Never voted me back, never answered my emails, so I could'nt warn anybody in ebay. I sent the coin the same day, via certified mail. The coin never get back, so he has it.

He is from 43007 Boscos - Tarragona Spain and his name is A.L.G.B. Be very careful, because his method it's very dangerous.

This is my worry when i come to sell my metals,that someone rips me off,i hope when i do sell it goes up enough to sell in one go to a dealer as a bullion sale.

Edit but the plan is a slow sell on the bay bit by bit we shall see one day.

Could you revenge buy? Maybe wait until he lists something very cheap and leave neg feedback. Not sure if that would work.

Recently something I bought from Europe didn't arrive and ebay found in the sellers favour. The tracking showed up to the area but not the address as no sig was required.

Also a small 20-for-20 RM order hasn't turned up. Turns out a sig wasn't needed for that either but their meta-delivery record is proof enough. Someone is on the rob.

Paypal is reviewing the file, but chances are very, very low.

He replied me a direct message sent from ebay telling he didn't know what I was talking about (yes, like in the movies), but after sending him the proof, he has not replied me any more. Four days have passed.

Reading FAQ about this in Paypal, 75 days may pass without news. But without the shipping proof, I have nothing to do. And after 100 days, it was reasonable I threw it away. Next time I'll keep it for a year and take pictures as proof. Be very careful, guys.

Regards

Could you revenge buy? Maybe wait until he lists something very cheap and leave neg feedback. Not sure if that would work.

Recently something I bought from Europe didn't arrive and ebay found in the sellers favour. The tracking showed up to the area but not the address as no sig was required.

Also a small 20-for-20 RM order hasn't turned up. Turns out a sig wasn't needed for that either but their meta-delivery record is proof enough. Someone is on the rob.

Some sellers possess almost magical neg removal powers so a "revenge buy" for the purpose of leaving a neg may not give the desired result, plus you will probably be in breach of ebay small print. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scottsdale-1-Ounce-Oz-Lion-Bar-Niue-Island-Solid-Silver-Bullion-999-Purity-/111601882740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fbfd9674

This seller selling the fake Niue Island bar. Nothing to say it's plated & they've sold one at £25.!!

£25 for a brass bar that weighs 30.45 grams. Got caught out once with one of these, not with this seller though.

It pays to do your homework.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scottsdale-1-Ounce-Oz-Lion-Bar-Niue-Island-Solid-Silver-Bullion-999-Purity-/111601882740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fbfd9674

This seller selling the fake Niue Island bar. Nothing to say it's plated & they've sold one at £25.!!

£25 for a brass bar that weighs 30.45 grams. Got caught out once with one of these, not with this seller though.

It pays to do your homework.

Hadn't seen this one before Mick, he's going straight on the naughty list,  $2.70 apiece of aliexpresses finest.

Hadn't seen this one before Mick, he's going straight on the naughty list,  $2.70 apiece of aliexpresses finest.

I've reported it to eBay, just waiting to see if it will be removed.

Do any legit bars come in those plastic capsules?

Although they have stopped making them, a similar 1 oz bar on their website is advertised as delivered in plastic or bubble wrap depending on inventory.

Did occur to me Mick that the seller could be selling the real thing but was too lazy to take their own picture, doubt it though as their other items all have a similar background and are not professional jobs. I notice a reputable forum member is selling the real thing on ebay  for anybody looking for the real thing Kman.. Selling fakes has an impact on genuine sales, I've reported the fake too, maybe if a few forum members report it we might be able to get an idea of what it takes for ebay to take action.

Did occur to me Mick that the seller could be selling the real thing but was too lazy to take their own picture, doubt it though as their other items all have a similar background and are not professional jobs. I notice a reputable forum member is selling the real thing on ebay  for anybody looking for the real thing Kman.. Selling fakes has an impact on genuine sales, I've reported the fake too, maybe if a few forum members report it we might be able to get an idea of what it takes for ebay to take action.

Selling fakes certainly does have an impact on genuine sales as I won't even consider buying any Scottsdale 1oz bars after my experience.

Maybe the likes of Scottsdale should sue eBay for everyone of the fakes sold that has been advertised as legit. eBay after all make money on them.

That's a result for you Mick. As I'm sure you are aware it is a very small drop in a huge ebay ocean of plated clad toot, but a result all the same.

It also helped that you reported it as well Hooky. The more reports, the better.

• Founder & Administrator

The problem is that nothing will happen unless these companies who produce the genuine silver items team up together and get in touch with eBay to demand they tighten up. The luxury fashion brands did it and now eBay are very strict with listings in that those categories. But even when these items were plentiful on ebay it was obvious they were fake. Have to be an idiot to assume a bag selling for £<100 was a genuine £1k-£3k+ item. But this silver problem is worse, buyers are unwillingly buying items which they believe are solid silver and a lot of them are going for prices near silver. Not many know that the definition of layered means that it's silver plated. For someone unknowing layered could just sound like a production method.

Deliberately omitting that these prices are not soloed silver and advertising as ".999 silver" in the title, and then just a small silver layered in the description is very deliberate misleading in my opinion.

If Governments got involved because of the counterfeit coins on eBay then there would be some serious results, but I doubt they will until the problem is large enough for them to notice.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

The problem is that nothing will happen unless these companies who produce the genuine silver items team up together and get in touch with eBay to demand they tighten up. The luxury fashion brands did it and now eBay are very strict with listings in that those categories. But even when these items were plentiful on ebay it was obvious they were fake. Have to be an idiot to assume a bag selling for £<100 was a genuine £1k-£3k+ item. But this silver problem is worse, buyers are unwillingly buying items which they believe are solid silver and a lot of them are going for prices near silver. Not many know that the definition of layered means that it's silver plated. For someone unknowing layered could just sound like a production method.

Deliberately omitting that these prices are not soloed silver and advertising as ".999 silver" in the title, and then just a small silver layered in the description is very deliberate misleading in my opinion.

If Governments got involved because of the counterfeit coins on eBay then there would be some serious results, but I doubt they will until the problem is large enough for them to notice.

I've just sent an email to Scottsdale mentioning this forum and asked if they could lean on eBay to stop all sales of fake/replica Scottsdale bars. Hopefully I'll get a reply that I can post here.

Had a reply from Scottsdale and part of it said;

"Our company takes on these criminals very harshly though we don't publish what we do. We are very aggressive against the major manufacturers and distributors and work with a variety of law enforcement agencies, including eBay's legal team when they have any reports of counterfeits being sold through their platform. If you have the username(s) of particular sellers or item numbers, please let us know.

All the popular brands of silver and gold are being knocked off so we always do our best to remind customers to buy direct from us, or a trusted source.

Anything you buy directly from us, either here on eBay or from our website is guaranteed 100%".

Archived