• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Avoid These Ebay Sellers/Scammers

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1924 solid silver one dollar coin

( 141488501899 )

Hi all. Thought I had just won the above on ebay for £8.50. After the sale tonight the seller emails me asking to cancel the sale which I declined. Next I receive a phone call (does anyone know if it's permitted to give out your phone number) with seller claiming they have been trying to stop the auction for the final hour of the auction as they have realised the coin is fake and they don't want to pass it on.

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me, sounds like they have realised it is worth more than it went for and don't wont to part. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I forgot to ask how they knew it was fake but took their phone number.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1924 solid silver one dollar coin

( 141488501899 )

Hi all. Thought I had just won the above on ebay for £8.50. After the sale tonight the seller emails me asking to cancel the sale which I declined. Next I receive a phone call (does anyone know if it's permitted to give out your phone number) with seller claiming they have been trying to stop the auction for the final hour of the auction as they have realised the coin is fake and they don't want to pass it on.

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me, sounds like they have realised it is worth more than it went for and don't wont to part. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I forgot to ask how they knew it was fake but took their phone number.

it is a fake.. there was no 1927 morgan.. They ended 1921

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately no longer a registered user because his feedback would have been an interesting read by now, I just liked the excellent customer focused response he gives to one unhappy punter,

full details at  http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jonpetjon&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=180&_trkparms=negative_180

iconNeg_16x16.gif Not silver bullion. Totally fraudulent listing: electroplated base metal. Thief Buyer: 

l***m ( 701iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif)

During past 6 months iconFdbkCnvrsB_20x20.gif

• Follow up by l***m (27-Aug-14 18:56):
    NOT solid silver bars but "layered" ie. a euphemism for fake. You were warned!

• Founder & Administrator

Unfortunately no longer a registered user because his feedback would have been an interesting read by now, I just liked the excellent customer focused response he gives to one unhappy punter,

full details at http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jonpetjon&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=180&_trkparms=negative_180

iconNeg_16x16.gif Not silver bullion. Totally fraudulent listing: electroplated base metal. Thief Buyer:

l***m ( 701iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif)

• Follow up by l***m (27-Aug-14 18:56):NOT solid silver bars but "layered" ie. a euphemism for fake. You were warned!

I wonder, out of the 24 positive feedbacks. And of the listings that were for layered silver (maybe all his listings were) how many of those buyers deliberately bought these non precious metal pieces and were aware that they were only plated with silver.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I watched this user for a while Chris as his stock always appeared in the price range I searched from, sometimes he included the word layered in his listings, other times not, I did wonder as well how much of his stuff found its way back onto ebay too. He was just one of many I know, but at least he cared enough to answer customer concerns.

full details at  http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jonpetjon&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=180&_trkparms=negative_180

What you didn't say was that the buyer had won the auction with a bid of £2.60.  I would have thought the alarm bells would have rung if the buyer had won an ounce of silver for £2.60.

LOL 

That isn't a response posted by the seller ,that follow up is posted by the buyer as a follow up to the feedback he already left warning other buyers

Having read the feedback properly daz I see you are quite right, not the outstanding customer relations coup I first thought it was, I see now it is  the buyer who is probably berating those who bought after him with the "you were warned" . Iv'e given myself a hundred lines of "I must read ebay feedback properly to avoid erroneous  posting" in an effort to make sure it doesn't happen again, never worked when I was at school so it may well happen again. 

• 3 weeks later...

Shall we start a similar thread for Alibaba sellers?

I would simply put up a 'LOCKED' thread NEVER to buy ANYTHING WHATSOEVER on Alibaba related to ANYTHING about precious metals.

Alibaba is only what it is today through the outright sale of blatant copies/duplicates/counterfeits & fake products of all descrptions

Oh i forgot to say, don't buy any gold/silver on alibaba

For 2001 some had a 'D' mint mark and reputedly signifying D for Domestic Market; thus limited release.

A dealer based in the PRC that i ocassional buy off had a slabbed version of the 'D'  for sale at around $4,500.

EDIT = Just checked the mintage for the 'D' in 2001 and which was still 95K;  thus one hell of a premium in ratio to numbers minted and assuming that all domestic coins did carry the 'D' privy/mint mark

For 2001 some had a 'D' mint mark and reputedly signifying D for Domestic Market; thus limited release.

A dealer based in the PRC that i ocassional buy off had a slabbed version of the 'D' for sale at around $4,500.

EDIT = Just checked the mintage for the 'D' in 2001 and which was still 95K; thus one hell of a premium in ratio to numbers minted

Thanks AG, I wasn't aware of that.

Stacker since 2013

2001 was the only year with a D mark.. I told this seller weeks ago (mentioned this in the other fake Panda thread also) that he was selling 2 fake Pandas, in a nice way since he may have not known,no response, so I guess he knows and is trying to rip someione off.

Archived