• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

On 07/03/2018 at 22:03, richatthecroft said:

The reason I bought it was that having looked at the photos, it looks like an extremely well made, detailed and well finished coin. I am intrigued as to why such effort is put into making this coin?

Looks like a copy of the St George £20 coin without the £20 text. Post pics when you get it. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

5 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Looks like a copy of the St George £20 coin without the £20 text. Post pics when you get it. 

Maybe.  I haven't seen that coin.

Anyway, the coin arrived, it cost £2.40 including postage, it was extremely well packaged, and came in a plastic flip type case.

I was expecting a much smaller coin, perhaps Sovereign size but It is 40mm in diameter and weighs 31g.  I don't believe it to be Silver! But it certainly looks like an item that would cost way more than what I paid.

In terms of quality, the coin is reminiscent of the quality you would expect from a low end Silver round.  The lettering on the obverse lets it down as does the numbering.  The Queens neck looks odd- looks like she's been working out! 

Overall however, not a bad copy. 

Here's photos:

IMG_4054.JPG

IMG_4055.JPG

On 11.3.2018 at 18:46, Elements said:

....a 2002 BU sovereign.

Hardly original but I fancy getting getting the other one offs- the 2005 and 2012. Not sure I want to fork out a grand for the ‘89 though!

When I got hooked to sovereigns, that was some of the first things I did. 2002, 2005 and 2012 were easy.

For the 1989, I ended up buying the set of three for 1200€ hammer price. Still undecided about the half and the double... I'll keep the half, most likely. 

Just last week, an auction of a 1989 full sov alone fetched 750€ hammer price ?

47 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

When I got hooked to sovereigns, that was some of the first things I did. 2002, 2005 and 2012 were easy.

For the 1989, I ended up buying the set of three for 1200€ hammer price. Still undecided about the half and the double... I'll keep the half, most likely. 

Just last week, an auction of a 1989 full sov alone fetched 750€ hammer price ?

yeah i looked into the sets. £1900 is about the going rate for the 3 coin. Bit too steep premium for me!

11 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

So glad that I am not hung up on these special issues, I can see Victorian halves creaming my wallet though! :D

Would rather have them than not, but  I won’t pay over the odds for a standard BU so keep getting outbid! Not too fussed about not having them.

By the way if anyone is interested hattons right now have cut the premium on the 2012 they have in

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

I broke my piggy bank to buy the Trade dollar gold proof coin from Goldsilver :) 

Really high price but a low mintage (200), a beautiful coin and the first of a serie of 5 coins (Trade Dollar GB, France,US,China and Japan)

britishtradedolla-1.jpg

britishtradedolla-2.jpg

Wow, good for you! That will be a stunning piece to have. I was just admiring the pics of the presentation case too. Congrats :) Pricey of course but i understand there are times when the pleasure of owning something like this outweighs the cost. Let us know all is well with it when it arrives from GSbe?

2018-EIC-Trade-Dollar-pp-Au-BOX.thumb.jpg.4e82a83cda811b45d5ea9ac332eb9d45.jpg

:wub:

EDIT: lol i've been gazing dreamily at the same pic for ages. Must.... snap... out... of it

Edited by swAgger

Thank you !

Yes I am really happy with this one and like the history around these trade dollar coin, and I love Asia :).

It seems that there is only 6 original GB trade dollar gold coins remaining in the world and to my knowledge, 2 were sold in auctions for around  250000€ in 2012 and 2014...  

I think I'll have to be a little patient because I plan to get the silver proof one  in a combined shipping (not before the end of the month).

Of course I let you know, and will be proud to send some pictures once I get them in hand :)