• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

42 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

A Spanish 2 Escudos Philippe II, dated between 1556 and 1598.

Finally got a pirate gold doubloon :)

Crappy picture, will take a better one when it arrives from France.

Wonder if its worth getting this one graded as the detail on the cross seems better than most.

s-l500.jpg

Please don't get it slabbed, coins this old look bloody awful in plastic coffins. I have seen it done to far too many Saxon/Norse hammered coins and it really drives me (and many others) crazy. 

It would also in my experience make little difference to price or desirability if and when you came to sell it. The vast majority of collectors to which this coin would be of interest are what I would describe as being traditionalist. They tend to be older individuals for which the joy of collecting is to be able to hold a coin which was struck 500-600 years ago, to be able to have a direct connection into the past. These types of of collectors do not attach a great deal of value to a few letters, a number and a plastic case.

At the end of the day it is your coin, so do as you please. But if I was you, I would get an nice mahogany coin cabinet commissioned with plenty of room (to expand in time...;)) to display what is a fascinating coin and to most importantly enjoy it.

Edited by WealdenWoodsman

42 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

1987 Proof Half Sovereign.  Not quite consistent with my spot +3% strategy, never mind. :)

auco8724.jpg

I think it is good to mix things up occasionally, plus you to to reward yourself with the good stuff every now and then. I'm looking forward to seeing some close ups when it arrives. 

On 2/12/2018 at 23:32, WealdenWoodsman said:

Please don't get it slabbed, coins this old look bloody awful in plastic coffins. I have seen it done to far too many Saxon/Norse hammered coins and it really drives me (and many others) crazy.

Depending where you bought it from, it might be nice to have the peace of mind it was confirmed genuine by a grading company if nothing else 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Depending where you bought it from, it might be nice to have the peace of mind it was confirmed genuine by a grading company if nothing else 

And in my case above I bought the 1/4 oz proof coin strictly for its bullion value and paid really close to spot... But the fact it's graded a perfect PR70 adds a $150 premium over spot to the right collector... Worst case I sell the coin in a few years for a small profit off spot alone... (Apply the profits to buy more bullion, etc...) Or hold for 30 years and help pay for my retirement... Grading has it's place, and I have my fair share of graded coins and bullion... Whatever you prefer just keep on stacking and you'll notice your interest and tastes change nearly every year. I call this refinement...

Gold 4 Escudos cob type (hammered coin)
Double Doubloon of pirate fame.
King Phillip II.
Dated 1556 to 1598
Mint: Sevilla
Weight:  13,50 g
diameter:  32 mm
Recently purchased the 2 Escudos so now have to get the 1 & 8 Escudos to complete the set. 
The premiums on these really hurt, this baby works out at nearly £7k/oz
5a8b0392ba5cb_4escudos.PNG.59058efedea752c1655c68d7bc74617f.PNG
Thats just pocket money for you :)

i just bought this from Shaun (Woody65)

s-l160011.jpg

s-l1600111.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

@ilovesilverireallydo yes this is the one Ash sold a little while ago. Yes i wanted it as well. These bars come to Daddy in the end.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Gold 4 Escudos cob type (hammered coin)
Double Doubloon of pirate fame.
King Phillip II.
Dated 1556 to 1598
Mint: Sevilla
Weight:  13,50 g
diameter:  32 mm
Recently purchased the 2 Escudos so now have to get the 1 & 8 Escudos to complete the set. 
The premiums on these really hurt, this baby works out at nearly £7k/oz
5a8b0392ba5cb_4escudos.PNG.59058efedea752c1655c68d7bc74617f.PNG
Always buying the cheap stuff... ;) Nice find!

14 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

Nice 1974 Sovereign but not a Proof I'm afraid. Most were struck with nice clean dies and blanks that give a Proof like finish.
Lovely coin though

Yeah I figured that out a few days after I put it under the loop. As you say nice coin and no circulation marks so good to hold ;)

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics