• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ramsdens - Investment Advice

whitesands1

I picked up some Euros the other day (1.3995) at Ramsdens.  I ordered online and found them to have the best rate and convenient service.  Anyway I got chatting to the Manager about their Gold and Silver business.  I was told that it was a bit slower, but they had great confidence in the future of Precious Metals as they were commodities.

We all look for cues when it comes to investment advice, however, I thought these were wise uncoplicated words.  Personally I think that Gold and Silver look well priced for buying at the moment and for physical buys you get something nice in your hand.

I am new to the forum, but I am already really enjoying learning from all the other members - only one complaint - there are not enough posts to fill out the long winter nights!

I think the beauty of precious metals is hardly anyone bothers with it, probably 1% of the population. I look at the gold price since the 80's and think I wish I had gold when it went from £20 to £80 or from £80 to £200, or from £200 to over £1000.  At least now if it ever does take that step up to the next level this time I actually own some.  My only concern is Bitcoin as that's a completely new factor thrown into the mix but then again so is the unprecedented level of paper transaction manipulation.

I agree, very few people bother.  We take for granted that we understand (a bit:wacko:) how to work out prices, weights, carats, contents and understand things like GSR.  Above all there are high costs to buy and folk are put off by spending a lot if they don't understand it.

I am really spooked by Bitcoin, it looks like the Emperor's New Clothes to me but it seems to have some real traction - how can you get something for nothing and make it seem so valuable - makes paper money seem safe.

All the best!

I'm actually thinking of buying a couple of bitcoin just to see what happens, I was all set to pull the trigger a month ago but hesitated while I tried to find out more about it and it went up £100 so I grudged buying in so I've held off.  For 2016 it's all about gold for me though and I will be cutting back on silver and hopefully buying as prices go down and with any luck a bottom will be reached during this time.

That's another thing I keep meaning to invest in is an allocated silver account that I can swap to gold and play the GSR without even taking the price into consideration, if I can start with £2000 worth of silver than swap to gold when the GSR is low then back to silver when it is high I should be able to increase my silver ounces held steadily over time without having any more cash outlay.

47 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

That's another thing I keep meaning to invest in is an allocated silver account that I can swap to gold and play the GSR without even taking the price into consideration, if I can start with £2000 worth of silver than swap to gold when the GSR is low then back to silver when it is high I should be able to increase my silver ounces held steadily over time without having any more cash outlay.

Just as long as your metal gains outperform transaction and storage costs.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

The EU in/out vote may see the VAT-free silver window close for us but who knows.

Either way, get it whilst you can.

I must admit, this is one of the reasons I decided to go back to a bit of low-premium silver.

Unlikely, but if it does close then I think the value of coins, especially on eBay, will rise because sellers will no longer be selling silver they purchased on the margin scheme.

Stacker since 2013

6 minutes ago, Danny-boy said:

I must admit, this is one of the reasons I decided to go back to a bit of low-premium silver.

Unlikely, but if it does close then I think the value of coins, especially on eBay, will rise because sellers will no longer be selling silver they purchased on the margin scheme.

That's a good point, i don't want to turn this into an EU thread but for the life of me I can't see why our only option as far as the EU goes is just a straight in or out, why can't we just go back to how things were? Have control over our borders and laws but still have free trade within the EU, surely that'd be the sensible way to go. 

1 hour ago, whitesands1 said:

There is a lot going on in the world and I agree, Gold is attractive, but then what about the GSR?

Anyway I am looking forward to Gold Rush on Quest tonight, my favourite TV program!

Ditto

It's my new Monday night ritual

Takeaway and the hoffmans

26 minutes ago, garthy said:

why can't we just go back to how things were? Have control over our borders and laws but still have free trade within the EU, surely that'd be the sensible way to go. 

There never was a 'way things were', it has always been about a slow crawl towards a United Europe, made up of many, many small changes so that hopefully the plebs wouldn't notice.

No government dependent upon a democratic vote could possibly agree in advance to the sacrifice that any adequate plan must involve. The people must be led slowly and unconsciously into their abandonment of their traditional economic defences...

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Off topic sorry but Norway have an arrangement where they have access to the European Economic Area only but they pay a higher price for this limited access ( which they can afford due to acting prudently with their oil reserves, unlike the UK/Scotland) they also subscribe to the  free movement of peeps within the union. It could be a pick and mix arrangement depending on how much a state is prepared to pay/ play ball.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Archived