• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2016 Chinese Panda Packaging

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

We all know that the 2016 Chinese panda will be issued in grams instead of oz, each coin will now weight 30g and will be marked accordingly. Precious coins where 1oz which is 31.1g.

silver-panda-2016.png.cf7167bd5f650251b0

But I found a pic earlier of what the new packaging may look like. Seems like there is a plastic tray that holds 15 coins in a capsule and then this is inserted into a cardboard sleeve. I presume this will replace how pandas are currently dispatched from he mint, in a box containing vacuum sealed sheets. I can't comment in how reliable this photo is, but if this is how they will come I think it's very nice.

Worth stacking a box or so each year for potential collectors upside in the future.

5644f6ace6a1d_ScreenShot2015-11-12at23.2

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, ChrisSilver said:

We all know that the 2016 Chinese panda will be issued in grams instead of oz, each coin will now weight 30g and will be marked accordingly. Precious coins where 1oz which is 31.1g

Am I the only cynic that thinks Bullion dealers will take advantage of the weight change, and it will be like the Mars bar?

i.e. the price stays the same but the grams get less.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Just now, BaldyBob said:

Am I the only cynic that thinks Bullion dealers will take advantage of the weight change, and it will be like the Mars bar?

I think most dealers will keep their margin the same. Wether or not the mint keeps the same prices whilst reducing the weight is another question.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I like this a lot, still don't understand why they went for 30g instead of 25g if going metric though. I am sure others have said before, 30 does not go into 100 or 1000g evenly. . 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

12 minutes ago, BaldyBob said:

Pandas were demanding a 60% premium or so from STG last year so I don't think a drop of a gram will make much odds for those who want them, know what you are saying though, I really am a stacker.(I think)

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

That does look like a pretty nice idea.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

I like this a lot, still don't understand why they went for 30g instead of 25g if going metric though. I am sure others have said before, 30 does not go into 100 or 1000g evenly. .

Stu has a good point. At the moment, if I'm considering a 100g bar, in my head I'm calculating that into ounces and partial ounces. I'm thinking there won't be much of a discount for the loss of that 1g though. Our grocery stores do that on so many products now too.

11 hours ago, Stu said:

IMO a stupid and ill-conceived idea. They're probably just doing it because thay can and wanting to be seen as world leaders and trend-setters, It's all pseudo-political posturing.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

https://www.coininvest.com/en/silver-coins/chinese-panda/china-panda-30-gram-silver-2016/

Coininvest are saying 15 per blister pack, 30 blisters per box. Also an indicative price of £14.58 although not pre ordering yet for silver. Most gold pandas are now available to pre order but a long lead time.

7 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

per 15 = delivery in original tray

So I am guessing that the above photo was correct and that is how Pandas will now come. That is pretty awesome. Interesting to see if they updated the Gold chinese panda packaging as well. I personally would love to see them start shipping them in mint capsules opposed to plastic sleeves. 

Discounts / Offers

I think it is a good idea to make a coin an even 30 grams, as a Troy ounce is an unusual number dating back to Roman times and for which I cannot see any point in retaining.

The packaging looks smart and will encourage stackers to buy a box at a time.

These will be easy to store and stack and each coin AND capsule will keep pristine.

I have sheets of Pandas containing 30 coins and they are ugly.

On 11/12/2015, 9:14:46, BaldyBob said:

If it works, watch the others follow suit.

5 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

The 30g gold is cheaper than the likes of 1oz maples/Brits etc.  I thought it would still be more expensive.

Which site are you taking as a guide?

Discounts / Offers

2 hours ago, ChrisSilver said:

Which site are you taking as a guide?

Coininvest have it cheaper than other 1 ozers

2 hours ago, ChrisSilver said: Which site are you taking as a guide?

Coininvest have it cheaper than other 1 ozers

Thanks, I have found it now. I think the lower price for this coin compared to other coins may attract more collectors for the series. Even though it is 1.1g lighter.

It is interesting to note that if the information on coininvest is correct, the diameter of the 2016 30g gold panda has not been reduced, it is still 32mm. Which may be an indication as to why they went for 30g and not 25g, so they wouldn't have to retool their equipment. I suspect the same is for the silver version but haven't checked.

Discounts / Offers

22 hours ago, Pete said:

I think it is a good idea to make a coin an even 30 grams, as a Troy ounce is an unusual number dating back to Roman times and for which I cannot see any point in retaining.

The packaging looks smart and will encourage stackers to buy a box at a time.

These will be easy to store and stack and each coin AND capsule will keep pristine.

I have sheets of Pandas containing 30 coins and they are ugly.

Just because it's old is no reason to jetison it. And why 30g? nothing decimal about that. Choosing 30g is lazy and accepting the troy ounce standard as it's as close as you can get and be a "nice round number". And don't forget; the troy oz is the unit in which the price of PMs is quoted, so it makes it easy to know the intrinsic value of a 1 oz coin. If you're going to change it, make 10g or 100g or even 1kg the basic unit and have multiples and fractions of that.

If everyone adopts 30g and the troy oz disappears from the PM world because it's old and pointless, what is everyone going to say in the future? Why the hell do we have 30g coins, what's the point of that?

I agree about the box packaging but that's no reason to buy a coin or coins.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived