• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another £100 coin

Murph

These RM coins have zero downside risk to them.

If you have spare fiat debt paper monopoly tokens you cant find a better returns or use for fill your boots

Classed as UK currency and will always be worth their face value

£100 silver coin for £100 fiat debt paper monopoly tokens

or

£20 silver coin for £20 fiat debt paper monopoly tokens

Silver goes parabolic to da'moon, and 15.71g of silver is more than £20 - win ! 

Coin gets mega popular and you can flip on eBay - win !

Stick it in your sock draw and forget about it.

Find you are short on fiat debt paper monopoly tokens to pay for your credit card bill.  Pay it in over counter at a bank 

or

if you are a drama queen make a song and dance buying petrol at your local Tesco and get in newspaper screaming '.....legal tender like a ranting scotsman'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2594273/Tesco-staff-banned-customer-paying-bill-commemorative-20-coins-called-POLICE-didnt-cash.html

Won't matter about the looks if you can make a few quid selling it on

Agreed.

But I think the Big Ben coin was far nicer, and the first in the series, which may explain the aftermarket prices last time round.

We shall see, I'm happy to let this boat sail.

Stacker since 2013

I swapped £100 lying doing nowt in the bank for £100 in silver coin.

I think that's a decent deal given the circumstances : which are complex.

Now there are £20s too? I'm going for a look ...

Ooh Chruchills.

Well, there's my Xmas prezzies sorted this year.

I have at least a couple of friends who just love that wartime/Chruchill kind of stuff.

Bit of a bummer that it's only half an Ounce :( Never mind.

Even the last one is selling for £100 plus more or less ebay fees and postage and it was the first in the series.

If there were only a few thousand of them I might have bitten but 50k?

It should be called the Victoria memorial coin.

I think the new coin is fugly... I won't be buying and though I got a couple of the Big Ben coins and made 20 a coin it was a lot of work for little return.

I think the idea this is £100 for £100 is a little misleading.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't actually money that you could spend in a shop or swap in at a bank like some above seem to believe. It's "legal tender" which means a court must accept it in settlement of debt, but that's all right? If I offered you a £100 court debt token, would you be willing to hand me five crisp twenties? Not a chance. Four twenties? Unlikely. Three twenties? Not worth the effort. You get my drift...

Course all good and well if the collector value keeps it above £100, but then buy it for that reason not under the pretence that your money is safe due to face value  :P

Following on from "Melon" where exactly could you exchange your £100 coin for £100 in notes without incurring costs, fees etc ?

I don't see anything about the Bank of England ( or Scotland ) Promising to Pay the Bearer ....

With the smaller denomination coins like the £20 it really isn't a lot of money to worry about, but paying £100 for £20 value in metal makes one more hesitant.

Could this be like "Disney Dollars" - exchange real dollars for a piece of paper that can only be spent in the Disney empire ?

But where does one exchange a silver £100 coin ?

Following on from "Melon" where exactly could you exchange your £100 coin for £100 in notes without incurring costs, fees etc ?

I don't see anything about the Bank of England ( or Scotland ) Promising to Pay the Bearer ....

With the smaller denomination coins like the £20 it really isn't a lot of money to worry about, but paying £100 for £20 value in metal makes one more hesitant.

Could this be like "Disney Dollars" - exchange real dollars for a piece of paper that can only be spent in the Disney empire ?

But where does one exchange a silver £100 coin ?

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines

I think this says it all really. I think your best bet of exchanging this for notes is ebay.

it's legal tender so technically you could use it to

pay any legal debt that you owe. most notably

taxes. it's commemorative so not all will recognise

it as payment. in practice, buy it if you believe it

will go up in value as a collectors item. as a high

value legal tender silver coin, the £20 coins are

better value/less risk, as we know that at least two

normal trading places tesco and hsbc will accept

these as payment.

technically I think bank of england should recognise

these as payment and be able to swap back face value

worth in notes.

HH

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how sales are going for the £100 coin seeing as last years sold out in eleven days?

Also noticed on the Royal Mint site that the Churchill £20 coin is only available until 31st. August.

fti I remember the churchill £20 had sales of 60%.

HH

I recall the Royal Mint displaying the amount sold but have now omitted this. Maybe they'll pass on the remainder to other dealers to sell on.

Anyone know how sales are going for the £100 coin seeing as last years sold out in eleven days?

Also noticed on the Royal Mint site that the Churchill £20 coin is only available until 31st. August.

I don't think it is selling that well,I had a phone call from the RM yesterday giving me a sales pitch on the new £100 coin & some other coin to do with WW2 I just switched off when she started about the WW2 coin.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived