• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Whatever happened to The Silver Forum ?

HighlandTiger

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Forum got me into buying gold but I'll still buy silver, even if my wife reckons I should sell it all and buy gold.

This forum got me into buying gold too.

My wife doesn't know about the silver or the gold, so she doesn't get a say [emoji3]

Stacker since 2013

Imagine trying to shift 1000 oz at a buying average of £13.50/oz.  Not only that, 20% of the coins have milk spotted or tarnished.  It will not be a pleasant selling experience.

Now imagine trying to shift 18 oz of gold with a buying average of £800/oz.

Unless gold has a higher spot than your purchasing average, you'll most likely lose money.  But with silver, you don't have to worry too much about spot.  The only thing you need to worry about is how much time and patience you have because that is what will be needed to reduce the lose (may not even lose).  There is no way it can go to a dealer so would all need to be sold privately.

I collect both silver and gold and will continue to do so but I hope to never have the need to sell.  But if I did, I'd like spot to have risen enough so that I can dispose of it all to a dealer and not have to mess about selling a little here, there and everywhere.

I have bought a lot and every now and again I sell a few things.

Because I am careful what I buy and I make sure that the quality is there I have never found it difficult to sell. I would never sell to a dealer or a pawn broker.

Pm are hardly ever a short term profit opportunity but like equities pound cost averaging works. Always be more of a buyer than a seller and the profit will be there.

Be discriminating and buy on quality not just price and make sure that there is a compelling story that others will find compelling too when you resell.

Half sovereigns at 3% over spot at HGM has to be the way; bullion with collectable value, easy to dispose of being fractional (If gold does go way up again, more affordable than full sovereigns).

I don't buy bullion sovereigns any more as I'm well exposed to gold as it is. Collectable only.

I don't buy bullion silver except "semi-numismatic" eg lunars which should turn a profit as the years roll on.

I will however buy older silver coins or scrap if I can get them for around spot.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Easier to store, easier to sell, no vat, great variety in sovereigns, numismatic and history held within. 

Snap, same here and for the same reason.

One reason I'd add, is milk spots. They have made me very wary of semi-numi silver, as I have been burned numerous times now.

Basically these two. Relatively new to precious metals but I just cannot justify to myself splashing out on silver given the above. :)

Whenever I find myself drawn to nice silver coin, I work out the premium and open up another window and look for fractional gold  :lol:

The turning point for me was seeing what appeared to be the start of milk spots on some coins in the 12 coin 2 oz perth mint lunar set..Lost me quite a bit of money but hopefully in the long run has saved me some.

I feel that experience of yours may have affected others.

I know I started considering my position before that, but your post was the straw that broke the camels back.

I have offloaded 50% of my semi-numismatic silver and swapped that to gold now. It's been a pain, but I'm pleased with my decision. Another 50% to go. Once that is swapped to gold, I'll reassess the master plan.

Stacker since 2013

Once retired and collecting my state pension, I kind of look forward to the discipline of selling a coin or two every other day on eBay.

Make your listing then simply repeat it every time you wish to sell, assuming you have lots of a specific coin like Maples for example.

Have a spare room set aside as an office with small jiffy bags and labels at the ready.

Make a couple of trips to your local post office every week whilst collecting a newspaper and milk - walk if you can for a bit of exercise.

See £100 or more appear in your account every week on top of your state pension - spend it on a nice day out, restaurant meal, few bottles of wine, add to holiday fund, buy a new car on dealer finance, etc ....

Nice hobby to look forward to when you really don't need your salary to pay the mortgage or commute to work.

If even the silver forum has stopped buying silver then that's got to be the ultimate signal that the market has bottomed.

Agree, that would be the ULTIMATE signal. However, a bottom is usually marked by maximum pessimism and hatred of the commodity/market/share etc, I would expect members of this forum to be mindful of this and still be buying! ;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Once retired and collecting my state pension, I kind of look forward to the discipline of selling a coin or two every other day on eBay.

Make your listing then simply repeat it every time you wish to sell, assuming you have lots of a specific coin like Maples for example.

Have a spare room set aside as an office with small jiffy bags and labels at the ready.

Make a couple of trips to your local post office every week whilst collecting a newspaper and milk - walk if you can for a bit of exercise.

See £100 or more appear in your account every week on top of your state pension - spend it on a nice day out, restaurant meal, few bottles of wine, add to holiday fund, buy a new car on dealer finance, etc ....

Nice hobby to look forward to when you really don't need your salary to pay the mortgage or commute to work.

Nice :)

SIlver is still the No. 1 choice for myself.

At the approx. 15 to 1 ratio of Silver to Gold (10 to 1 mining or 50 to 1 historical price avg.) - when the FIAT money system starts to implode and the wealthy elite begin to move from 'paper' assets (including stocks, bonds and derivatives etc.,) back into real commodity money i.e. gold, silver and land etc., then the current 'valuation' of both gold and silver against the petro-dollar is going to be irrelevant.

With decreasing Silver mining and increasing industrial usage, a move towards actual 10 to 1, 5 to 1 or even 1 to 1 will do just fine!

- Why Silver And NOT Gold - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBVgQBuDt4E

- Death Of The Dollar - Hidden Secrets Of Money Ep 3- Mike Maloney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IemeM-Ado

I'm therefore currently about 50% Silver, 10% Gold and 40% Bitcoin and a few other alt. decentralized crypto-currencies.

LOL, if you think that the ratio will ever return to 15/1 then I'm afraid you are going to be sadly disappointed. 

It hasn't averaged that sort of figure for centuries, and it took the Hunt brothers silver debacle to get anywhere close to that, and that was only for a month or so.

The world moves on and I'll think you'll find the average in today's time, will range between 55/1 and 80/1

See £100 or more appear in your account every week on top of your state pension - spend it on a nice day out, restaurant meal, few bottles of wine, 

*Sniff* That was beautiful man...

LOL, if you think that the ratio will ever return to 15/1 then I'm afraid you are going to be sadly disappointed.

It hasn't averaged that sort of figure for centuries, and it took the Hunt brothers silver debacle to get anywhere close to that, and that was only for a month or so.

The world moves on and I'll think you'll find the average in today's time, will range between 55/1 and 80/1

The way gold is dropping don't rule anything out.

This forum got me into buying gold too.

My wife doesn't know about the silver or the gold, so she doesn't get a say [emoji3]

Serious about the wife Danny? Mrs Hook doesn't have a clue about silver or how much I spend on it, nor is she interested one iota  :D She's known I collect coins since we first met, and the odd package turns up but she

doesn't see all of them   :) . I bet there's a fair few like that in the stacking community.

When I finally buy precious metals you can be sure my wife is the first person to see what they are, what they cost, what they may be worth later and where I'm hiding them.

You do NOT want your loved ones to be ignorant of huge wads of wealth lying around unknowingly! - for when you DIIIEEEE.

Archived