• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone else getting into platinum ? Prices at 6 year lows

Lindeman

Folks

Anyone else tempted?? I bought a 1 oz Platypus back in April for over £1000 delivered, but now at CoinInvest or Goldline you can get even a Noble for less than £900 delivered, so I am probably going to pick up an ounce. If gold was @ a 6 year low we would hear a lot more buyers heading to buy, but platinum seems not to get the attention. I know the downside arguments - hefty VAT/ limited sellers market etc - but I have to say there is something very special about an ounce of platinum, especially at prices not seen since 2009!

Anyone else buying? Or is this crazy - "trying to catch the falling knife". The chart is pretty amazing though.

Thoughts?

Lindeman

How much is "plenty" gold Madstacks?

I know what you mean ...I love the gold as well, but would never know when I have enough...

Just can't get the thought out of my head that this could be a 6 year low. Maybe Mr Tsipras holds the answer to these questions ..

I have been toying with the idea of palladium. BBP (who I have never used, but do it in fractions) are selling a half ounce pamp Suisse bar for £311 all in. May be worth a long term punt, a buy and forget job.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Yep, Perth mint did some small fractionals, and chinese pandas. but the premium is probably quite steep.

I've seen lunar fracs with upto 50% premium. Some of the Panda fracs with a 12% to 15% premium. Again it's supply and demand .

Great to read everyone's views. Must admit my interest stops after platinum - never seriously thought about rhodium or palladium. The selling dilemma gets serious with those two PMs I reckon! Agree that gold obviously easier to shift - either as Sovs of single ounces. But I quite like the idea of an ounce each of platinum Noble, Maple, Platypus and Eagle...

Shame STG don't carry some ! Livia - ?

I have some of each, gold, palladium, platinum and rhodium. I have bought direct from second-hand sellers so the premium for vat etc is just the price. 

I have not done it to make money though. I just like the idea of something very rare and very pure. I have no idea how you make money because if you sold it, you might never get it back. 

For me the Black Eagles with Ruthenium coating on them are great. At $50oz for a metal 3 times rarer than gold is quite strange. Just having a .999 silver coin coated in it seems a good combination of a beautiful coin and a hedge on a space industry metal being more widely demanded (absorbs light). Ruthenium for me alongside Gold and Silver as a combo option.

For me the Black Eagles with Ruthenium coating on them are great. At $50oz for a metal 3 times rarer than gold is quite strange. Just having a .999 silver coin coated in it seems a good combination of a beautiful coin and a hedge on a space industry metal being more widely demanded (absorbs light). Ruthenium for me alongside Gold and Silver as a combo option.

I did buy one of these a while back. Wouldn't mind seeing a full 1oz Ruthenium coin but would wonder what it would cost.

Plated 

Something that is plated means that it has a very thin coating of precious metal.  The weight of the metal that plates a "one troy ounce" bar, for example, is an insignificant amount.  Metal is opaque, so it takes very little to mask the base metal underneath.

Platinum (like palladium) is primarily an industrial metal; it is substitutable with palladium for use in catalytic converters. As such, the price will likely only rise substantially if there is an increase in the demand for cars. So if you buy it you are betting on either a general economic recovery leading to people being able to afford new cars, or possibly the Chinese passing some environmental legislation to require all their cars to have catalytic converters (they don't at present, which is a contributing factor to the high levels of atmospheric pollution in China).

I wouldn't hold my breath on either score. I prefer gold just because it is (almost) a pure monetary metal. Silver is good too because it benefits from the "poor man's gold" factor and tends to rise when gold does.

Archived