• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Average £/oz

Danny-boy

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Founder & Administrator

Are these averages inclusive of any VAT and postage paid, or going purely on the metal cost? Have no idea what I've paid but only started stacking this year so won't take long to add it all up; I should probably keep track.

Mine is the actual cost per ounce. Inclusive of any tax and shipping charges.

When I make an order I devide the total shipping cost per total amount of ounces ordered, so I know the exact cost per item.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Oh!!! You're going to hate me :P

I am a stacker who has turned in to a collector. According to my spreadsheet - which I admit needs checking and bringing up to date - my average is £14 per ounce.

I am not sure it that represents an error in my calculations, or if one of my formulas is missing some newly added coins. I will have to spend some time checking it all over. But from a brief glancing over out it looks like that might be right.

Pleased with that! :D

Same here. Stacker turned collector. I have enough bullion now to sleep peacefully at night. You guys have made me want to buy a 2 ounce horse.

I am also coveting some of the older gold and silver roos and a 1/4 ounce gold monkey.

As others have stated, your coins cost what you paid including VAT, shipping and bank fees if any.

I know the unit price paid including any VAT then share the shipping and other costs per ounce over the order.

That gives a fair NET LANDED COST per coin.

If selling on the Bay you need to know the final amount of cash you have after fees, paying postage etc. to see if you sold at a profit.

Sometimes you forget the postage you pay is higher than allowed for because the package is too thick or heavy, or you forgot the PayPal fees and 10% eBay bill that hits you later.

mine is £19 on the dot, with VAT+delivery+any other fee. 

however I have sold a few oz of silver, so that made my average price per oz go up, because I only sold my silver just a few quid over spot. 

For e.g 

10 oz for £100, £10 per oz. 

I sell 3 oz for £25.

I have 7 oz left at £75, £10.71 per oz. This little example basically describes my situation. 

I guess there are 2 ways of calculating your average cost.

1. Sum total divided by ounces.

Say 10 coins bought at £10 each = £100 cost so £100/ 10 = £10 per oz.

or

2. Sum total cost less sum total sales divided by ounces unsold.

Say 10 bought for £100

Sell 5 for £12 each and collect £60

Net cost of balance £100 - £60 = £40

Average cost of remaining 5 coins = £8 each.

I work on formula # 1 as it always reminds me of what I paid out to buy my coins.

Formula #2 totally distorts my average buy price of e.g. 25 Britannias if I sell a Mule at 5 times it's cost.

OK, so I found that error on my spreadsheet. You knew I would lol!

My total is now $18 per ounce average, This is mainly because I purchased most of my silver in Australia with no VAT, and because I have not added all the shipping costs, which have been lost in the mists of time. Most of what I purchased was picked up in person any way, so it is not a huge amount. This will change with exchange rates, so I might just lock in the prices as of today and not update them any further.

Still, I am very chuffed with an £18 average. Should be some profit in there for me when I come t sell. Mostly my older stuff is bullion, newer stuff is a bit more collectable. Will just be adding essentials to the stack for the rest of the year. I need the next SGB Series of decent coin, and a mule Britannia. Might also look out for some more 99999 Royal Silver rounds. They are amazing, and I have quite a little collection going at the moment! :)

I am the same as you guys, I always add in my postage costs and Duty (if applicable). That is the only true way to calculate your coin/oz costs.

Not all my silver is .999 some is 925, or 958, but my average cost per coin is £21.77, that is for all coins from the half ounce all the way up to 5 oz.

My total coinage is 982 coins with a total ounces of 1058.

Just worked my average to £21.4. That's around 3 years stacking and about 50/50 junk and 999

That's a good average you have there Dr D.

I'm going to work on my £25.XX whilst still sticking with semi-numi if possible.

I've got a lot smarter with where I buy and at what price.

Stacker since 2013

Well I have the slight advantage of being quite new to buying silver, as gold "has been my thing".

Currently have 30 1oz coins and a Kilo bar - average cost per oz = £17.78 (The Bar brought the price right down - though its £50 cheaper today lol).

Just about to purchase 38 oz from STG (3 10 oz coins and 8 1 oz coins) at an all in price of £595 - so that makes an average of £15.66

So overall average for my then 103 oz is £17 exactly including delivery charges etc.

(If I had held off until now I've discovered STG - thanks to you guys -  my average would be closer to £16 - but I can't complain.   :rolleyes:

Glad we could help you mate, there is a wealth of experience here.

Good average by the way.

Thanks Danny-Boy the forum is really useful to me. I hope more members join and participate - it can prevent some of us making silly mistakes.

I knew about Silver to go around early march, however was extremly skeptical about the no vat charge to your door, and I thought there must be some hidden fee I had to pay which put me off ordering, however after this forum was created, Silver To GO was highly praised.... So I placed an order, and the rest was history. 

If only this forum was created when I started to stack silver. 

My new £/oz will be £23.27 once all the new purchases arrive tomorrow.

If I take into account my 1kg coin, it takes it down to £19.14.

Taking that the majority are around the £20 mark today silver would have to be trading at $33.56 to break even.  So its fair to say we would need a big bull break out to show a profit.

New stackers will always show a much lower average price than old stackers who were actively buying through the last peak.

That period was commonly referred to as "going to the moon " as PMs rose and rose with no stopping in sight.

Also, more of us are aware of the German sellers who get round the VAT.

Archived