• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I buyed at eBay the 2017 proof but got 2012

Phil99

Hello

There is a German dealer whom sold lots of collector coins. 

For this reason prices were quit cheap in comparison. 

So I got the 250 years endeavour for 40 dollar and the Rwanda 2017 proof for only 36.

Today I got the packet and to my surprise the dealer sent me the wrong coin. 

It is a 2012 Rwanda proof coin. 

The dealer also sell this coin for 150 Euro per direct buy. 

Of course prices for coins like this often are to high, for this reason the 2017 normally costing 70 I got for 36.

What do you think, how many I would earn selling it on ebay. 

IMG_20200402_144307.jpg

IMG_20200402_144317.jpg

I bought the 2017 proof and the dealer made a mistake. 

The Motiv of 2017 looks pretty similar. 

The dealer sensed me also a certification of the 2017 coin but I got the 2012.

Theese kind of coins surprisingly are I sale quite often while the bu variation cost 30 plus. 

The normal 2012 coin cost atm at eBay auktiomln about 50 dollar. 

The 2012 proof cost much over 100.

So if you compare 2012 and 2017you see it. 

The first picture is my won auction with the picture. 

The latest is an actual offer. 

I would sell it if I got a decent price. 

Screenshot_20200402_151253_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200402_151302_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200402_151323_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

The 2012 coin is worth much more, so of course I don't.

Im happy and I was interested of your opinion how much I would get for ex at eBay if I sell it. 

I normally don't buy collector coins but due to plenty of sells the price was so good in comparison to the bu coins with its enourmos premiums.

5 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The question is are you happy to go down the route of what many people would call dishonesty?

My thoughts exactly,what would you be doing if you'd bought the 2012 and he'd sent you the 2017??

It is a dealer.

If we change he has to pay two times sending. 

And even the coin is expensive at instant buy is not meaning it is worth so much. 

I found a dealer selling the coin for 72 euro. 

So if you think that this inherits a profit plus 2 times sent fees meaning another 11 euro is not this profitable for him while I like to have the 2012.

I also would not buy Theese kind of coins for a high price because this is not profitable. 

I buyed at this dealer by really only bu kind of prices, meaning below 40 dollar. 

The other coin costed 41 but it has a glass package and it is new. 

So neither the dealer nor me profit from a change. 

Greetings

Philipp

Ok i get it. 

now my opinion is I would have contacted first the seller telling him a Mistake happened. And see from there. Perhaps he would be happy to pay for 2 times sending or perhaps he would gladly offer you the coin. 

at least let him know there was a mistake. Maybe someone who expect the 2012 coin received yours ? 

my two cents 

1 minute ago, Phil99 said:

It is a dealer.

If we change he has to pay two times sending. 

And even the coin is expensive at instant buy is not meaning it is worth so much. 

I found a dealer selling the coin for 72 euro. 

So if you think that this inherits a profit plus 2 times sent fees meaning another 11 euro is not this profitable for him while I like to have the 2012.

I also would not buy Theese kind of coins for a high price because this is not profitable. 

I buyed at this dealer by really only bu kind of prices, meaning below 40 dollar. 

The other coin costed 41 but it has a glass package and it is new. 

So neither the dealer nor me profit from a change. 

Greetings

Philipp

but did you offer him the chance?

just because he is a dealer, it doesn't mean to say he is drowning in money. there are many one man dealers in Germany who will probably make a meagre profit.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

He massive sells atm by auction for very low prices. 

He never is interested in exchange 2012 with 2017.

Un general if you can buy old collector coins for half price you can't hope for rising in collector value. 

He never have the time to like to change. 

2012 and 2017 in the proof version is not this important. 

Both have 1000 mintage and I detected some milky spots, so it is not this super profitable. 

If I sell it ebay they maybe pay 40 euros so with fees I don't profit. 

Maybe I ask him but I'm sure he don't want to waste time. 

eBay buyers beware!

That 2012 looks like a completely fake coin. The words on the rhino side are supposed to be embossed (pressed into the coin). The lettering on your coin is raised. Also look at the pressed border that surrounds the foliage below the A in AFRICAN OUNCE. That is totally missing from your "coin"

91fgu-4eGeL._SL1400_.jpg

8 hours ago, Phil99 said:

Un general if you can buy old collector coins for half price you can't hope for rising in collector value. 

Both have 1000 mintage and I detected some milky spots, so it is not this super profitable. 

As others have said, the first thing you do should be to contact the dealer and inform them of the mistake. If you're happy to keep the coin then let them know that. 

Any other course of action is dishonest in my opinion. 

I asked dealer if he want to give me another coin maybe the proof swan he spelled yesterday for 40 without sending costs but he did not answer. 

The coin has a few little milks pot so the proof Serie if Rwanda has no hype at all, I found this coin for 42 euro sold from another ebay dealer. 

The dealer obv try to sell the collector coins for extreme high prices and the rest he sell for any price at eBay. 

So it is OK, I overestimated the value. 

While Buillon prices are a joke, the numismatic are too in the other direction. 

Good evening

The coin is not a fake, maybe the photo was bad. 

It is not profitable to false this kind of coins. 

The dealer is a quite big. 

He get a few bad remarks at eBay due to obv mistakes or long sending times. 

Like he did here, funny enouph he was interested buying this coin,i asked him with an alter ego. 

IMG_20200403_203352.jpg

IMG_20200403_203353.jpg

IMG_20200403_203436.jpg

reading this thread it basically looks like you received the wrong coin and want. to flip it and make a profit. if the wrong coin in error was sent in the other valuation you would be very upset. why don't you sell the coin and refund the difference back to the dealer? A, your conscience you be clear. B, you would be in good favour with the dealer for any coins that are herd to find and a good relationship formed and C, it the RIGHT THING TO DO! 

On 03/04/2020 at 19:18, Phil99 said:

Mate you keep telling us what you think the dealer believes. Just ask them?! Either they'll want to refund you for the coin back, or they won't be bothered. Job done. 

3 hours ago, stevelo1973 said:

reading this thread it basically looks like you received the wrong coin and want. to flip it and make a profit. if the wrong coin in error was sent in the other valuation you would be very upset. why don't you sell the coin and refund the difference back to the dealer? A, your conscience you be clear. B, you would be in good favour with the dealer for any coins that are herd to find and a good relationship formed and C, it the RIGHT THING TO DO! 

That's a step too far in my opinion. It's not his responsibility to sell a coin to pass the profit on to a dealer, that's the dealers job. Dealer should be given the choice and can choose to leave it as is or to offer a complete refund (+ return postage) to get the coin back that they sent in error. Nice and simple. 

Archived