• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Inbetween saving for a monster bar I am buying the odd silver world coins from the period 1935 - 1945,  so far I have been pretty successful in finding nice coins (except todays) , but some coins are difficult to judge if I either dont have much experience of that type or the pictures are not too helpful, I know quite often photos do not do coins justice, and most I bought have been better than the pictures of them.

I am only wanting almost uncirculated / uncirculated coins and sometimes with the picture or scarcer coins its hard to know whether or not a coins been polished, cleaned or should be as it is pictured, 

I dont want to send coins off for grading, so if they have been cleaned carefully but still have their lustre then that would be fine with me.

Just the more eyes and experience will help spot things I might of missed as I learn this new area of collecting.

I will start off with this coin  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3012.html

I have seen this one that appears to be nice, does it look original or polished to any of you, I usually go on the hair and highspots checking for wear, but this looks ok to me from other examples on the web, it does look a little shiny though, is this normal?

Sorry for the photo quality they are not my pics and this is one for sale I am trying to research first that I like the look of.

452862797_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.ec3b1a391c8db399a565bc3deab707a4.jpg

41310807_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.a71b8eb88cde5c691a4e972b2decd071.jpg

Hi Silverfinger.  

I have one of these somewhere - I think in my safe location so not immediately accessible.  It is in nice condition and in Unc condition and better than the one I have from memory.  

I don’t think it has been polished by might have been dipped.  

I would but depending on price.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

Hi Silverfinger.  

I have one of these somewhere - I think in my safe location so not immediately accessible.  It is in nice condition and in Unc condition and better than the one I have from memory.  

I don’t think it has been polished by might have been dipped.  

I would but depending on price.  

Best

Dicker

Thanks mate for your input, I dont mind that too much if it has, as long as the coin isnt worn, I see a lot of superb coins out there that are spoiled for me by being dirty.

Here is some more I like the look of, sometimes one side will look uncirculated, but the other (nearly always the face side) looks worn to me, what do any of you make of these, do you think they fall into the uncirculated grade ?

this side looks unc to me, but the face side I am not sure about

2139041280_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.4e7c5b4fe6812ac16703dd9c7b924345.jpg

1785963282_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.48b8e0b20b0b58dfd23fd36848b3a526.jpg

Here is another that I am not to sure of, the harp details look very good, most I see of this type of coin are well used, is there a way I could carefully remove the black mark under the letter i

683847659_s-l1600(6).thumb.jpg.3fe10564f22f7013be59e38d9223fa41.jpg

572278874_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.9210550629de1431af2df6ae4961291f.jpg

And finally this one, obv looks unc but not sure about the face side

212815827_s-l1600(8).thumb.jpg.0ffe687e6b9606c0077fb592dd32b5b4.jpg

78293529_s-l1600(9).thumb.jpg.af3b9541641292ca4b63dc2096a1d504.jpg

I have practised on some old coins with the baking soda, hot water and silver foil method and had some very good results, I think that would be my first try, I might need to get a different toothbrush, mines like a dog toothbrush.

Nice looking coins.

I think they all look aunc.

As for myself I do like a nice patina on the coins.  Feel it can really bring out the best, and can make the coin look amazing.

I refrain from cleaning them.  

Saying that though beauty is in the eye of the beholder 

I love the British India Rupee coins of the pre 1945 era, is there is site out there or a book (have ordered the Standard Catalogue of World coins 1901-2000 in the meanwhile)  that shows all the coins in mint condition, some coins its hard to tell if the coin is worn, its a bad/shallow strike, or that's the way they are supposed to look,  here one of the Rupees I like, the Kings head looks pretty worn to me compared to some others I have seen, though the obv looks in good condition, anyone gifted with knowledge with these coins who can help ?

Is this coin worn/polished in your opinions on the head side ?

shalloworworn.thumb.jpg.8ad4308133568533390d32c0152107b0.jpg

shalloworworn2.thumb.jpg.a88f5b67b6197d85d45bdc4628d3a41a.jpg

7 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Obverse (King's side) looks very worn compared to the reverse to me (?)

Unfortunately I only have circulated examples to compare to, sorry I can't be more help. I'm sure others can :)

Yeah I found a few more examples and some are far sharper while others look not quite as bad, they were a very high grade of silver so I bet this made them wear quickly ( .917 I think) , I wasnt sure if it was because this was the smallest of the Rupee series at first.

1 hour ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Yeah I found a few more examples and some are far sharper while others look not quite as bad, they were a very high grade of silver so I bet this made them wear quickly ( .917 I think) , I wasnt sure if it was because this was the smallest of the Rupee series at first.

Hmmm, but why would the obverse look so much more worn than the reverse?

Are you sure both images are the same coin?

Archived