• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

will virus kill coin collecting?

blindguy

i wonder if this virus will be the last straw that kills coin collecting. think about it. there are no longer any coin shows maybe for a few months or maybe longer. online coin auctions are postponed or even canceled. coin shops are closed until further notice. coin clubs are not having meetings. and yes this might be only for a few months but will this social distancing change peoples attude about being in a crowd? if the virus changes the way people get together coin shows might never come back the way they were. at the shows around here the age of dealer and guests was in the mid 60's very few young people.  also for the bullion guys and gals with the coin shops closed we have fewer places to buy or sell bullion. refinery's are closing making it hard to get metals in some cases. how long before some mints slow down or close to protect their workers.  these are all thing we should think about.    on the lighter side i think this virus is a alien plot dropped in china to destroy man kind so the aliens can get our gold. why china, because they have a lot of gold.   Jim

Selling more coins now than ever, People are at Home Bored so the temptation to Purchase is hard to resist. May change in a few weeks if the Postal Service slows down, I have been cleaned out of Envelopes and Stamps to send my coins in, luckily Stamps and Envelopes are delivered within two days on E Bay. If The Postal Service grinds to a halt I think E Bay sellers will Struggle !!

6 hours ago, GrahamDiamond said:

Selling more coins now than ever, People are at Home Bored so the temptation to Purchase is hard to resist. May change in a few weeks if the Postal Service slows down, I have been cleaned out of Envelopes and Stamps to send my coins in, luckily Stamps and Envelopes are delivered within two days on E Bay. If The Postal Service grinds to a halt I think E Bay sellers will Struggle !!

6 hours ago, GrahamDiamond said:

hi i was wondering how long will your inventory that you are selling will last and how are you planing to restock collector coins with no coin show or shops open?

Still a few On Line Companies Selling and Delivering on Time, I mainly sell on Commemorative Coins as there can be a 50% Mark Up on Most New Release The Mints are Releasing new Coins every week it seems. I always have plenty of stock and some Premium Coins to sell, I just buy Gold with my Profits, I keep hold of most of the Gold as this is my pension Pot.

7 hours ago, blindguy said:

i wonder if this virus will be the last straw that kills coin collecting. 

I think people will want to put their money into numismatics in uncertain times, seems a safe bet long term

Timeless numismatics though, not Rwanda and Isle of Man type tat 😛  

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

In a word, no.

What is has done is to give people space to review what they have already and to start to rejiggle parts of their collections/stacks or to plan to do so once things return to normal regarding delivery etc.

i ordered some queens beast from one company and 100 half ounce rounds from another company. order was placed on march 16 and as of today nothing has been shipped. and my favorite auction house (online) has been shut down now for three weeks and is not going to reopen for another 7 days. so i have been bored! my wife and i are out of quarantine on april 2 but every coin shop here is closed for the next 3 to 4 weeks so still no where to go.  jim

Plenty to keep you busy here and indeed why not try ramping up the N American buy/sell threads here ? That part of the SF is quite slow so now would be a great time to connect with fellow N American collectors/stackers ?

6 minutes ago, Oldun said:

Plenty to keep you busy here and indeed why not try ramping up the N American buy/sell threads here ? That part of the SF is quite slow so now would be a great time to connect with fellow N American collectors/stackers ?

i have very little vision left from a stroke in my eyes and been having trouble using this site. my wife tries to help me but we are not sure how to sell on here. jim

There is a section on the buy and sell that is specifically devoted to buying and selling in N America. Post a thread with photos and the current date with your username on a piece of paper next to it stating a price for what you are selling or a price for what you are looking for and see if you get any takers. It is very straightforward. Set the conditions of payment, bank transfer or paypal etc along with shipping format and costs.

In the UK, one trusted member has offered to act as a “holder” for some trades. The seller sends him the item and once the buyer has paid the “holder” sends on the item.

But 99% of trades here are on a trust basis having built up reputation points and so on.

Currently, there are 18 people following this USA and Canada combined buy sell thread (there may be more as you can choose not to be seen by others when hitting the follow button). Either way, follow the US Canada buy sell and get a vibrant buy sell  community going there on The SilverForum.

:)

My safety deposit building is closed, no access to my coins and small bars which I was going to sell some on the forum. Attempting to get stack in some kind of order since  am developing developing a fever...cabin fever that is.

Now getting my monies worth from Netflix as I cancelled the BBC licence, made me feel good, like, you know, taking control, having said that i'm waiting on Netflix sending me a message telling me to eff off! you've had your monies worth.🍺

• Founder & Administrator
17 hours ago, Rich3800389 said:

What if a person infected with the virus comes in contact with a silver coin, bar ?

Good question, from as far as I am aware the virus can survive on any surface for up to 4 days depending on the surface. So best to use gloves imo to handle raw coins/bars, if possible wipe items. Coins that are in capsules that have recently been purchased can easily be wiped over with an antibacterial wipe to try to eliminate any virus that may be there. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

i have a friend that puts his mail in a lock box outside his house for 5 days before he opens the mail. my wife and i wear gloves to open the boxes and then burn outside the cardboard and paper, and gloves. the coins get put away after we sanitize the silver bars or coins, only bullion.  jim

I must say it's getting quite difficult to find and buy coins form a trustworthy source these days.

all reputable UK dealers are out of business at the moment, royal mint bullion have some coins on their website but their prices are crazy, I still bought two 2020 sovereigns from them last week which I am awaiting Delievery and got notification that my coins have been posted but now even the mint don't have anymore sovereigns to sell.

I would happily buy from  trusted members of the forum but I don't see any bullion gold being advertised here at a reasonable price from a member whom I can trust. 

my favorite online auction started again this weekend. but prices were very high on all gold coins. a mercury dime book with no key dates brought over $4 a dime. gold american eagles were around $1800 a ounce or more.  silver rounds were all over $20 a ounce.

On 29/03/2020 at 22:42, blindguy said:

i have very little vision left from a stroke in my eyes and been having trouble using this site. my wife tries to help me but we are not sure how to sell on here. jim

@Lr103 may be able to help out here! dont know how myself but he is a bit of a whizz on that side of the pond IMHO

3 hours ago, 5huggy said:

@Lr103 may be able to help out here! dont know how myself but he is a bit of a whizz on that side of the pond IMHO

@blindguy I would be be happy to assist if you need any help!  Just let me know here, or PM me.

It's very easy, and not that much different than your post here in this thread. You just need to click "Start New Topic"  in the USA & Canada sales thread (link below) with a description of your item, photo, and price.  It's helpful to have a PayPal account or use Zelle, however I've had members request to pay by both a mailed personal check and a money order...it's up to you.  Best of all you don't need to pay 10% to eBay.  If a member is interested in your item, he or she will reply to your topic, or PM you.  You can then collect payment, ask for the members shipping address, and send it out.  As I said, please let me know if you'd like any help!

https://thesilverforum.com/forum/57-usa-canada/

Archived