• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

HELP: Stack out of whack

cypressc

I rarely take my whole stack out and look through it. I did so this weekend and was surprised how big it had gotten (about 400 ounces). And it was fun to look at some of the interesting coins I've assembled. I just love looking at them.

But while looking at my stack, I realized that I've really been doing it all wrong. Instead of building a balanced stack, I actually have fallen into a stack that is about 90% semi-numismatic coins. I have tons of world silver coins of various sizes (mostly Perth). Most of the stuff I've bought because I thought it was cool. And it dawned on me: I'm a not really a stacker, I'm a collector.

This really hit home to me when I started thinking "Wow, I could probably sell 300 of these ounces and have funds to buy 400-600 ounces of ASEs" (assuming premiums level out at some point). But then I kept going through my stack and saying "Oh, well, I can't sell two-ounce coin, it's too cool." and "Oh, I don't want to sell that one - once I do, I'll probably never own it again."

So, my brain says "offload this stuff, get a lot more ounces." But my heart is saying "Yeah, but this is such a cool collection!"

I'm really torn! It would be a lot "better" to have mint sealed govt. rolls. But it would also be kinda boring.

Anyone been in this situation? 

17 minutes ago, cypressc said:

Anyone been in this situation? 

Every...damn...day.. lol

I love coins, but I love having lots of silver.  so I just buy more coins.  I have a few of the Team USA 10oz bars because #merica but other than that I mainly buy Silver Eagles, Perth coins and Maples because I think they look great

• Founder & Administrator

A lot of people here suggest to buy what you like, that way if prices crashed you would still have an interesting collection of items, if you owned purely ASEs and the price crashed you may be a bit disappointed. Of course there are also those who believe that you should only buy the cheapest possible bullion.

There are also those, I presume where the majority of members are, in that they have both low priced bullion and more semi numismatic or numismatic items also. When spot price is low, it could be more logical to buy bullion, and when it is higher more logical to buy numismatic/semi numismatic (though this strategy could easily be argued the other way, buying proof coins when prices are low)

The choice is yours :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Well it sounds like you have consistency in your stack - that it is coin you like and have a certain numismatic quality. 
There is no correct stack - there is your stack and if your stack has naturally grown in a consistent way, then that it is the right stack for you.

There are many in the hardcore stacker community would say your stack is wrong - you must go for weight and the lowest cost per ounces is the only right choice. Well it is the right choice for them. Does that mean it is the right choice for you?

Some would say your stack is wrong b/c you are buying silver in the first place - you should concentrate on gold. In Europe silver is relatively expensive compared with gold. Gold is tax free to buy and UK gold is tax free to sell. It works out a good choice in the UK. You are in the USA and so you have the advantage of cheaper silver. 
If i were in the USA i would be all over vintage rounds and bars - that would be what i am doing and that would be 100% right for me b/c i love that sort of silver. 

So your stack sounds just right for you. Carry on.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

49 minutes ago, ChrisSilver said:

A lot of people here suggest to buy what you like, that way if prices crashed you would still have an interesting collection of items, if you owned purely ASEs and the price crashed you may be a bit disappointed. Of course there are also those who believe that you should only buy the cheapest possible bullion.

7 minutes ago, sixgun said:

There are many in the hardcore stacker community would say your stack is wrong - you must go for weight and the lowest cost per ounces is the only right choice. Well it is the right choice for them. Does that mean it is the right choice for you?

Some would say your stack is wrong b/c you are buying silver in the first place - you should concentrate on gold

@cypresscI think that its only natural that people’s stacks/collections will change strategy and interest and evolve over time.
Anyone with an interest in pms and numismatics will appreciate the wide range of options available and should see that their particular focus or even endgame will differ from others. 

Everyones appreciation of the beauty of numismatic items, and their own risk to reward tolerance  will be different. Just enjoy what you do.👍

I have exactly the opposite stack I’m about 90 bullion most in bars and brits and 10% in QBs it’s boring very boring.....

in fact my gold stack is a similar split 90% bullion and 10% proof sovs and QBs I may add I didn’t set out to go for this setup I just bought what was cheap when it came in front of me..

I used to have about 30% of silver in my stack, I swapped the silver for gold sovs with a forum member, I have a little silver left which I will sell soon, my stack will then be about 30% numismatic 70% bullion. 

I find it easier to manage, also it fits into the SD box no problem.

9 hours ago, cypressc said:

So, my brain says "offload this stuff, get a lot more ounces." But my heart is saying "Yeah, but this is such a cool collection!"

Do yourself a favor and start selling those semi-numismatics and converting them into ASE's when premiums normalize. You will need to sell them to private individuals rather then dealers to maximize your profit. It will take you a long time if you don't want to lose too much on the sale/trade. You don't want to have a large stack of semi numismatics when it's time to cash out into cash or gold.

How about a three way stack? 1/3 full on numastatic, 1/3 semi numastatic, and 1/3 bullion? I mean thin this in value rather then weight. If things get tight and you need to sell, flog the bullion when the boiler blows up or indeed the car. You can make that back slowly and not take a big hit overall.

^^^^ Sounds like a good plan.

Perhaps set yourself some cash limits for the various types of items in your stack or collection.  If you're buying with the intention to sell when it goes up in value, put say 75% of your cash limit into this kind of purchase.  Then you can devote the remaining 25% (or whatever proportion you choose) to buying things you probably want to keep, rather than sell.

As has been said above though, whatever works best for you is the right stack for you 😀

I tend to buy what I like as i love hunting around and getting grate stuff. Everything in my collection though I would sell if terrible hit the fan and cash was needed. If money was in the bank it would get spent on stuff we dont really need so I'd rather have my savings in pms whether that's my silver collection or my gold stack. Before finding pms I collected nike trainers (which all get worn) so was always a big outlay with no return. The wife although not intetested in pms as a collection loves them as a store of wealth.👍 If I'm gunna buy the shiny I figure I may as well enjoy what I buy 

On 24/03/2020 at 23:31, ChrisSilver said:

There are also those, I presume where the majority of members are, in that they have both low priced bullion and more semi numismatic or numismatic items also. When spot price is low, it could be more logical to buy bullion, and when it is higher more logical to buy numismatic/semi numismatic (though this strategy could easily be argued the other way, buying proof coins when prices are low)

The choice is yours :)

I love ASEs, I stack them in preference to everything else! I would trade other coins to get more. Just a personal preference I guess.

Archived