• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

£3000 in stock market?

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Cornishfarmer  I bought 500 RDSB this morning @ £12.87 I am looking for yield & even if they chop the next divi by 30% I'll still get around 6%,my risk level is fairly high & I won't c--p myself if the market falls more. The shares you are looking at are quality & will do OK over the long term but only you can determine if now is the right time to buy or not. 

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Rdsb and BP are now at the lows of 2015 and 2008. Motorbikez doing the smart thing. 

I will be monthly drip feeding into both stocks and also Blackrock Energy (about 9 percent yield on that fund). Nice long term income producers. 

I may even do 500 each to start the ball rolling. 

It may go lower which is why we should always have cash on hand. Nice to see metals holding up well

Trying to increase my additions to my ISA a bit at the minute. Will just be buying index funds though. S and P 500 and Ftse 100 both looking much better value today than a couple of weeks ago (not that the footsie looked bad value even then)

15 hours ago, Bullionaire said:

Trying to increase my additions to my ISA a bit at the minute. Will just be buying index funds though. S and P 500 and Ftse 100 both looking much better value today than a couple of weeks ago (not that the footsie looked bad value even then)

I recently signed up for a cash ISA account with HSBC. Didn't want the ISA stocks account as I can't pick particular stocks or funds I want, only the ones HSBC offers. As far as I understood. Can you pick stocks, funds and ETFs as you want for your ISA account? Thank you for any info.

2 hours ago, StackerCollector said:

I recently signed up for a cash ISA account with HSBC. Didn't want the ISA stocks account as I can't pick particular stocks or funds I want, only the ones HSBC offers. As far as I understood. Can you pick stocks, funds and ETFs as you want for your ISA account? Thank you for any info.

You can indeed. I'm with cavendish (who use fidelitys platform).

You do right to stay away from the banks s&s isas though. Not great performance from what I've seen

I've been buying Artemis income (I) Acc following about 15-20% crash in a lot of big names.
Hoping for a steady recovery thereby gaining a good return in the relatively short term.

On 10/03/2020 at 19:38, campbellgs said:

I'm with Hargreaves and Lansdown but their transaction fees bother me, has anyone had any experience with Freetrade or Trading 212? Or does anyone recommend another platform to the ones mentioned

I gave up with H&L, I opened an account with them when I moved to the U.K. back at the end of 2015, the fees where so ridiculously high that I've basically just written off the money I invested throught them.  I'm now using Trading 212 and I'm quite happy with it, by no means do I think it's the dogs danglies, but it sure as hell beats H&L, I'd never heard of Freetrader until afer I opened an account wih Trading 212, and I do sometimes think about switching over to them, butt I haven't, and probably won't unless Trading 212 let me down, start charging ridiculous fees, or the app becomes a PITA/over complicated to use.

As to what I would invest £3000.00 in, I'd invest in ''sin'', recession proof industries, things like arms manufacturers - not the companies that sell weapons to civilians but the companies that supply militaries and governments with their hardware bombs cost millions of dollars and they tend to use a lot more than one at a time bullets cost more than a quid each and militaries go through hundreds of thousands of them during times of peace just training troops.  Also the ''adult industry''.  I read a very very interesting article that for the life of me I can't remember who wrote it of where it was published other than it was written by an Australian, and made for some extremely interesting reading and made a very interesting point, the kind of industries that not only survive recessions, but actually thrive in them are the ''adult'' industries, in the 2008 recession and for a good few years after people couldn't afford to go out to pubs and restaurants anywhere near as often as they could before the 2008 crash, so people started to entertain and satisfy themselves at home, as in buying more alcohol than they normally would before the crash because they would drink at home because they could no longer afford nights out at pubs and clubs, it was the same with the ''adult entertainment industry'' single people living off of one income couldn't afford to go out to find ''partners'' as often as they used to so would entertain themselves at home instead.  I'm not trying to be funny or make a joke about his, I've put money into these industries, and I've yet to lose any money, it's not made me mega bucks, but it's done more than well enough to well out preform inflation.  One thing I would say, the first time I invested in the stock market I lost 57% of the money I invested almost overnight and never recovered it, it took me years to work up the courage to have another go at investing in the stock market, so I would suggest that before you do invest in anything that you have enough cash to tide you over in the lifestyle that you are accustomed to for how ever long you think it would take you to find a new job should you become unemployed that pays you either the same salary or more than the job you lost, and then double it for peace of mind.

22 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Ive ended up going with HL very easy to set up and navigate.     I’ve only bought £500 of BP and shell just to work our what I’m going really.     All in the red so far!!!

Today’s levels for Shell RDSB are very tempting. Definitely a long term hold but these low levels are almost unprecedented. There is a price war between the Saudis and Russians which could drag on but it’s not sustainable long term. In addition Shale gas in the states is suffering big time and a result and the companies do not have the deep pockets of the dirty oil competitors. It is possible some of them will go bust and therefore should provide a boost to Shells share price. 

Another one for consideration is EasyJet. Suffering more than most currently but it’s nearly half the price it was 6 weeks ago. EasyJet is also planning to take on some of Flybe profitable domestic routes going forward. Hoovering up some routes from Thomas cook and Norwegian air close to going under will see further lifts. 

I use Interactive investor. Yes the 9.99 charge a month seems annoying at first. If you build a portfolio of around £20-30k with them it works out cheaper than HL and AJ Bell in the long run as they charge on a percentage basis. 

Gonna have a look at free-trade over the weekend. 

Very tempting levels in a lot of trusts and stocks at present. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

what do you guys use to get into stocks buying/selling? 

I want to get into stocks a cost average over the next few months but I have no earthly idea what "apps" or websites are trustworthy.

I am not looking to swing trade just a kind of buy it and forget it for a couple years.

On 10/03/2020 at 13:13, Bullionaire said:

You can indeed. I'm with cavendish (who use fidelitys platform).

You do right to stay away from the banks s&s isas though. Not great performance from what I've seen

Mark-

I use this same as Bullionaire. Good for funds but not if you want individual shares.

1 minute ago, Elements said:

Mark-

I use this same as Bullionaire. Good for funds but not if you want individual shares.

True. Although you can use the monthly regular savings setting to buy investment trusts or individual shares. This brings the buying fee to £1.50, which is much more palatable than £10.

I've complained/commented to them about the high fee to buy compare to the $0 fees paid in the USA these days. They said they have no plans to change this and that the disparity between the £10 and the £1.50 was as the regular saver buys are all lumped together (with lots of individuals orders placed together), so you have to wait a few days for the order to actually be placed.

They said they would take on board my suggestion to offer a 'lumped together' buy option anytime, not just for monthly buys... we shall see

Hi Guys I have Shorted the HYI with very small anounts and getting out quickly then back in again, IMO it has some way to go yet.  Also I have traded the USD/RUB |(Ruble) with Russia (oil) and the USA (Dollar) it looks a good Bet to me 

Archived