• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

PCGS MS70 " corroded " What should i do ?

Magicne

8 minutes ago, Platinum said:

I would try to have it returned unless it said it was damaged when you ordered it. Can be tricky though if you recieved it weeks ago.

Yeah.. but it is in a PCGS case.. The case is undamaged. i pretty sure that the "dot" is not there when the coin is sealed cuz if wont have gotten the MS70 grade. Just curious how the dot is form..

To me it sounds like it has tarnished after it was graded. However APMEX should have been aware of its condition when selling it. Have you checked that they did not state it was damaged when you ordered it?

If they did not then I would contact their support and try to have it returned and refunded/exchanged for a new one. Downside is that this can be difficult as from what I can read, their return policy only lasts for 7 days.

Naturew

2 hours ago, Magicne said:

i think the mistake lay at PCGS.. how can they make this error..

Nature of Silver i'm affraid. How can it be PCGS fault when you said the fault wasnt there when you bought it?

The OP is new to the forum.

I have a PCGS slab where the coin tarnished after slabbing. It’s only tarnish. Maybe a slight gap in the seal? Even gold mixed with other metals like copper can develop spots.

I don’t have a suggestion You’d like to hear because having it conserved etc probably won’t be worth the investment. If it were me I’d just keep it. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

I had virtually the same thing happen. I paid a $100 premium for a slabed 10 oz Queens Beasts Griffin. Flawless when I bought it. After a few months a milk spot formed. Looked at the picture of it on the NGC website, no hint of a milk spot. The NGC rules on milk spots are basically an act of God and you have no recourse. I had bought 2, I cracked the milk spotted one open and used a rubber eraser on it. Now you can only tell if you look for it. No more premium slabed coins for me.

These slabbed silver and gold coins which tarnish and develop red spots go a long way to explain why I don’t slab my coins or buy slabbed coins. In fairness to the organisations such as PGCS and NGC who slab and grade coins these faults develop after they’ve been slabbed. A coin sealed in a slab or plastic like gold Pandas is no guarantee they won’t develop these problems. These faults are not “corrosion” as we normally understand the term but are actually reversible and treatable. All my gold and silver coins are in removable air-tites and their original capsules. I use the old-fashioned but effective bicarb aluminium method to remove red spots and tarnish from my coins despite my reservations about coin cleaning.

Yeh I only slab my coins in quick slabs so can be taken out same as airtights.i have a few slabbed MS69 silver eagles and a stunning 2002 MS69 half sov and thankfully there all in immaculate condition.

Think u will find a refund difficult as it was not spotted and returned within there time frame.

May have to take this one on the chin 

• 1 year later...

I had several ASE Proof coins graded by PCGS about 10 years ago from the original U.S. Mint packaging.  Several of them have tarnished along part of an edge.  Wonder if PCGS handled them improperly?

It's probably too late to request refund or exchange - but better check Apmex T&C. Or just ask them anyway - you never know, maybe their customer care dept. will just be in a good mood at that moment...

BTW, PCGS say on their website that "PCGS 70 standard does allow for "as minted" defects, as long as those flaws are minor and do not impact the eye appeal of the coin". So it's not entirely impossible that the coin received 70 grade already with that dot...