• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why Is Platinum Cheaper Than Gold?

Serendipity

https://www.kitco.com/commentaries/2017-02-07/The-46-Year-Record-of-Platinum-Gold-Ratios.html

market sentiment I suppose. It's not that long ago that platinum spot price was 2+ the price of gold. Then there's the vat in top in this country.

i understand that the Japanese were into platinum jewelery in fairly recent times, I don't know if this has tailed off recently. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

For myself, I think it is unlikely that platinum will overtake gold. Almost half of all demand for platinum is for diesel engined cars, and these are on the way out. It is possible that manufacturers of petrol (gasoline) engined cars may switch from palladium to platinum, but this does require some re-engineering work. The other potentially large demand for platinum is as a catalyst in hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, but these are still years away from wide use, and the developers are looking for alternatives to platinum. The only real prospect for a sharp rise in platinum prices is if there are supply problems. The largest source of platinum is South Africa, and there have been numerous strikes and mine closures in recent years, so there is some chance of this.

Gold is very different. Its demand comes mainly from jewelry and from central banks as a reserve asset. Also, to a lesser extent, from investment demand. This demand does not look likely to fall any time soon, although it is price sensitive. Gold supply has been fairly constant in recent years, and it is getting harder and more expensive to find more, so we are unlikely to see a large increase in supply.

1 hour ago, Bumble said:

For myself, I think it is unlikely that platinum will overtake gold. Almost half of all demand for platinum is for diesel engined cars, and these are on the way out. It is possible that manufacturers of petrol (gasoline) engined cars may switch from palladium to platinum, but this does require some re-engineering work. The other potentially large demand for platinum is as a catalyst in hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, but these are still years away from wide use, and the developers are looking for alternatives to platinum. The only real prospect for a sharp rise in platinum prices is if there are supply problems. The largest source of platinum is South Africa, and there have been numerous strikes and mine closures in recent years, so there is some chance of this.

Gold is very different. Its demand comes mainly from jewelry and from central banks as a reserve asset. Also, to a lesser extent, from investment demand. This demand does not look likely to fall any time soon, although it is price sensitive. Gold supply has been fairly constant in recent years, and it is getting harder and more expensive to find more, so we are unlikely to see a large increase in supply.

True!

I’m sure jewelers still sell Platinum rings with a premium over gold rings, so they are doing well out of the current prices and that might continue???

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

I think it's to do with it's history, or lack of, sure it was used and even known about since before Christopher Columbus, but it has never in history been used as a form of currency, indeed it wasn't until the mid 1700's - around 1750 I think, that any real scienific studies and research was done on the metal, alchemist weren't even interested in it, they were far more interested in lead than platinum, it was even considered to be an impuriy at one point especially in gold.  And since almost half of the platinum mined today is used generally as a catalyst, mostly for vehicles in catalytic converters, and they're quickly going out of fashion, the demand for it is falling quite rapidly.  Plus there is health issues associated with platinum salts especially long term exposure.

Archived