• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Canadian Kraken - Creatures of the North

daca

• 4 weeks later...
On 21 February 2020 at 10:44, Garret said:

Hi, does anyone have information on what else might be in the series and/or how many coins in total there will be?

Not sure. I would love to see a Walrus, Mermaid etc and would be fine with the Thunderbird, Memphré (think Lochness monster), Mishepishu (think of horned cat or a dragon-like feline)...

...but do hope we're not getting a Sasquatch. 

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am new in this forum and i have a question regarding this series.
I bought some coins a few weeks ago and found out that the quality of the coins is very poor. Almost all coins have scratches, dents or milkspots. Since the coins are delivered in tubes, this is understandable. Has anyone had the same experience? How does this affect the resale value? 

I am looking forward to any feedback

Thank you and regards 

PatrickGee

@PatrickGee Just check my coins and  noted that are 2 very small scratches on the ring that surround the Kraken and small edge damage. No milk spots (yet).

This coins originally didn't have large premiums so resale value shouldn't be affected by small defects.

Edited by daca

10 minutes ago, daca said:

@PatrickGee Just check my coins and  noted that are 2 very small scratches on the ring that surround the Kraken and small edge damage. No milk spots (yet).

This coins originally didn't have large premiums so resale value shouldn't be affected by small defects.

Thank you for you reply. Do you believe that the value can still increase with this condition since it is the first in the series?

2 hours ago, PatrickGee said:

Hello, I am new in this forum and i have a question regarding this series.
I bought some coins a few weeks ago and found out that the quality of the coins is very poor. Almost all coins have scratches, dents or milkspots. Since the coins are delivered in tubes, this is understandable. Has anyone had the same experience? How does this affect the resale value? 

I am looking forward to any feedback

Thank you and regards 

PatrickGee

I'm very sorry to hear that you've experienced quality issues with the Kraken's.  For those that I have personally stocked and shipped, I have not found any noticeable defects.  RCM has long had a bit of a notorious reputation with regards to milkspotting although I'm surprised to hear about dents and scratches.  Must have been a batch struck with a bad die...

I will share this information with the production team and hopefully they will address any quality issues before they resume production.

Kind regards

Michael

Art in Coins

5050 Rue de Sorel Suite 110  Montreal QC H4P 1G5  Canada

Email:  sales@artincoins.com      Website: artincoins.com       Phone / Whatsapp: 15149707170 

Get the free Art in Coins Mobile App       Android     Apple 

2 hours ago, PatrickGee said:

Do you believe that the value can still increase with this condition since it is the first in the series?

Unlikely. Conditions is everything for those who will collect the series.

5 hours ago, artincoins said:

I'm very sorry to hear that you've experienced quality issues with the Kraken's.  For those that I have personally stocked and shipped, I have not found any noticeable defects.  RCM has long had a bit of a notorious reputation with regards to milkspotting although I'm surprised to hear about dents and scratches.  Must have been a batch struck with a bad die...

I will share this information with the production team and hopefully they will address any quality issues before they resume production.

Kind regards

Michael

Guten abend,

I should have asked earlier...   the coins you received, were they in a "sealed" RCM tube or had they been repackaged by whoever you purchased them from?   Obviously there's a much higher chance of defects if not handled well by your dealer.  Let me know as I've already forwarded your comments to the mint and if I don't have the full story about your coins then I'll want to give them additional feedback  🙂

Thank you / danke vielmals / Shone GruBe,

Michael

Art in Coins

Email:  sales@artincoins.com      Website: artincoins.com       Phone / Whatsapp: 15149707170 

1 hour ago, artincoins said:

Guten abend,

I should have asked earlier...   the coins you received, were they in a "sealed" RCM tube or had they been repackaged by whoever you purchased them from?   Obviously there's a much higher chance of defects if not handled well by your dealer.  Let me know as I've already forwarded your comments to the mint and if I don't have the full story about your coins then I'll want to give them additional feedback  🙂

Michael

Hello Michael,

i haven't received the coins in a sealed tube. I only bought 11. I have attached a picture of the worst one. but basically all of them got the same milkspot on the right side.

Thank you for your help.

Schöne Grüße :) 

Patrick

IMG_20200421_224543096~2.jpg

On 19/04/2020 at 18:08, Chicagodogs said:

Just received 2. They look pretty nice.

20200419_105948.jpg

1 hour ago, artincoins said:

Guten abend,

Michael

If you zoom in on this one you can see a lot of scratches too. Sorry Chicagodogs :) 

3 hours ago, PatrickGee said:

If you zoom in on this one you can see a lot of scratches too. Sorry Chicagodogs :) 

That's OK, on the Queens side on one, has a noticeable scratch. I try to buy 2 of coins, hoping to get 1 good one. Are you talking about the face of the rim where the scratches are?

8 hours ago, Chicagodogs said:

That's OK, on the Queens side on one, has a noticeable scratch. I try to buy 2 of coins, hoping to get 1 good one. Are you talking about the face of the rim where the scratches are?

Yes. I think especially the face of the rim is scratched. Mine have some dents as well.

Edited by PatrickGee
Spelling

I'll be staying well clear of these. I now only buy a few maples from them now. they get put into storage and forgotten about. I also dislike the quality control on the royal mint stuff too although many recent designs have been really poor on many coins making me flip some of the series i had started.

I only stack Bullion sovereigns from the royal mint now.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have purchased the RCM 2 Ounce Kraken coins and intend to continue with future releases.  We've finally connected with a capsule manufacturer for a custom fitted case.   I know some people have been using the oversized Queen's Beasts capsule and found their Kraken's rattling around a bit.   We'll have these in stock in approx 1 week - 10 business days.

https://www.artincoins.com/products/capsule-2-ounce-round-38mm-rcm-custom-fit?variant=32352256622695

Art in Coins

8 hours ago, Metalisreal said:

So this "Kraken" looks like a giant squid but did they really tear ships in two or is that just folklore? I know, stupid question! Maybe the RCM should stick with featuring real animals like whales rather than mythical sea creatures.

It's all a matter of personal taste in the end.   All I know is that mystical creatures are some of the best selling themes we carry...

Art in Coins

4 hours ago, RACKTHESTACK said:

Given the milk spotting issue with Canada I would still really like to buy this coin i know the have been working on it. I'll roll the dye 

I haven't noticed any milk spotting to date on the Kraken's.   My first batch sold out and then RCM had to go into curtailed production in response to Covid-19.  I believe they are back in production on these now so I'll be looking forward to seeing the quality when I get them back in stock at the end of the month.

Art in Coins

26 minutes ago, PatrickGee said:

I bought a 10 oz Maple a week ago. The Queen has realy bad scatches on the face from rattling around in the capsule. I think i'll never buy stuff from the RCM again.IMG_20200515_220736026.thumb.jpg.553189776773e1e5d43665c07deb191e.jpg

It's not just the inside of the capsule that has scratches?

Art in Coins

56 minutes ago, artincoins said:

It's not just the inside of the capsule that has scratches?

No. It's on the coin and in the capsule. I can see it because the coin can spin arround in it. It's to loose.

2 minutes ago, PatrickGee said:

No. It's on the coin and in the capsule. I can see it because the coin can spin arround in it. It's to loose.

Oh there you go, not a properly size capsule.  That's too bad.

Schones Wochenende,

Michael

Art in Coins