• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 7000+ members.

Roy

Can a boomer own a 911?

Well, specifically a 996...

I've always wanted a 911 but work, houses, marriage and kids were more important. Now I'm in my golden years, I have the cash (and the necessary no claims bonus) to own one.

I think an oldie can get away with driving a 911 much easier than an Impreza, Audi TT and the like? 

It's for the love of the engineering rather than the posing eh?

An Integrale is my dream car but a good one (!) is way off my budget. 😪

Go for it and live life to the full, one thing i do regret is putting stuff off now with the body falling to bits i can't do most of the stuff i put off.......

go for it👍

@Roy  Just buy it Roy, bikes are my thing although I've had plenty of daft cars (mainly for tax purposes when I was in business)

I was talking to an oldish guy 76 but he's pretty fit & buys a new motorbike & car every year. He said to me if I fancy a new bike or car I just buy it I could be dead next week lol. If the kids get my house that's plenty for them & he's right IMHO.

Yes, its a true classic, just modernised.  The 996 are reported to have some problems.  The 997 by all accounts is very solid and reliable.  Get one with original wheels to lose the tart/mid-life crisis aspect if thats the concern. 

I wouldnt dismiss the Impreza if toned down.

Buy any car you like Roy, we only live once!!

My dream is currently a modified Nissan GTR, 700bhp+, launch control, 4 full size seats, 4WD, and very good Japanese reliability. £30,000 10 years old 😀 

This will put a smile on your face!!! 

By the sound of things, in 15 years time we will have to save up and order the petrol online just to drive our cars. If I wanted it, I would buy it.

I wouldn't mind one of these.

Edited by Xander

On 07/02/2020 at 22:01, danmc82 said:

@Roy Wouldnt something like this be just as exciting 😄

0.jpg

I'd be very careful driving one of those, going down a steep enough gradient with wind assistance, you might just about reach 20mph, but in all seriousness there's a certain model of Reliant Robin that is worth an absolute fortune and considered a serious collectors piece to car enthusiasts/collectors, I believe it's a baby blue convertible with a white soft top - my only first hand experience with Reliant Robins is when me and 3 mates dropped our math teachers one into the school swimming pool, it wasn't so reliant then, and yes it was worth being suspended for,  though I did end up being expelled for proving his replacement car's soft top roof was not slash proof as he claimed when I cut a hole in it and filled the car with foam from a bunch of fire extinguishers.

As to can a boomer get away with owning a 911, as a millennial I scream hell yes, go for it, somebody I used to work with who at the time was in his 60's and is now probably in his late 60's or early 70's drives a special edition 80's 911 in salmon pink with the so called ''race manual gear box'' - a manual gear box where you don't have a clutch pedal nor need a clutch to change gears, and Targa Top, and that was his everyday car.  If it will put a smile on your face, and still leave you grinning from ear to ear five minutes after you've parked her, I'd say go for it.  Though I personally prefer the 944 despite the issues with it's fuel tank.

Edited by Seth

The 996 is a nice car and much derided.  I would go for it...if you buy right you will have a good daily driver, plus a car that has done most of its depreciation. 

One thing to be absolutely sure of is the state of the IMS bearing.  My wife had a 996 and we were lucky enough to have a mechanic who found metal shards in the oil filter and remediated the problem before the engine was destroyed.  From memory he fitted a non Porsche kit that was far better than the original that came with the car. 

Best

Dicker

The first Porsche I ever drove was a 996.  Very nice things to drive with good steering feel and engine noise getting more appreciated with age now as the latest model 992 is a physically much bigger car, and less tactile.

If you don't need rear seats, I would thoroughly recommend having a go in a Cayman.  I've owned Caymans continuously since March 2006 and they are lovely things to drive.

I have a manual 996 C4 in Lapis blue as my daily.  Great little car with decent power for normal road use and small enough to throw around.  Very understated and doesnt draw attention like my weekend fun car :)

If you are looking to buy one try and find one that has already had a hartech rebuild done for peace of mind or if you are feeling flush and brave get a turbo as the metzger engine doesnt have the same weaknesses.

3.jpg

Edited by mr-dead