• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed 2012 Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Sovereign PCGS PR70 DCAM- £875 Posted SD- Please read description

richatthecroft

2012 Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Sovereign PCGS PR70 DCAM- £875 Posted Special Delivery

I have had this Sovereign listed here on the forum at a much higher price however, I have taken a closer look at the Sovereign and discovered that there is a mark on the Obverse- in the field and to the left of the Queens head which runs to the I of the 'Elizabeth II' inscription.  

I have spent ages trying to get the right light, in order to be able to get a x10 magnification photo of the mark- the x10 makes this look dramatic- but it isn't! (please don't ask for another photo as it was frustrating getting the light just right so it would show up!).

Anyway, I have reduced the price to £875 including the Special Delivery postage.  In order to get this price, I have taken an average of all the prices of decent RAW examples of this coin sold on eBay since the back end of 2019- the mean figure was just about £875 posted.  

I have explicitly brought this to the attention of any prospective buyer as I firmly believe a coin should be the purchase, not the slab.  

Clearly this Sovereign has been graded by PCGS with a PR70 DCAM designation.  I am not a grader- and I have not a clue to the technicalities of grading, but given that it was given this PR70 DCAM designation by PCGS then perhaps this mark was acknowledged to not have been due to a post production flaw- or maybe, the mark was missed!  Anyway, this is a rhetorical question- but leads me to believe that perhaps (likely if it came to fruition- for another fee!) the grading companies could? should? provide a brief report as to why coins are graded a certain designation- it would be particularly interesting to have an explanation of why some modern Proof coins hit the goalposts with a 69!

Anyway- the Sovereign is what it is, and remains a nice example.     

Here’s the mark at x10 magnification:

BA9FE06F-76DC-4AAA-A308-43BE61DDC973.thumb.jpeg.43ba63185af4156aceaafd2b3defe315.jpeg

E3EFB56D-863B-4C35-8AD6-C8F92B11BBF3.jpeg

221957E5-5672-4A9F-9F15-1BAECD73B36A.jpeg

71F6B89A-D29F-4B0D-BC85-49BEB090DC4F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

Hi Rich. 

It's a Half Sovereign but your price appears based on a full Sovereign. 

The PCGS Database shows it as a Half also. 

Your honesty with the "mark" is commendable and an example to all budding stacker's. 

Thanks for your comment- only fair to let people know of my closer examination of the Sovereign.

Ha!  I have made an almighty ****-Up here with the photos-  I will update them forthwith.

To Confirm- This sales post is for a 2012 Jubilee Sovereign.  

• 1 month later...

Archived