• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

how long have you been stacking?

blindguy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a few sovereigns since the mid-2000s but have only been adding to this properly for about 3 years.  Weight-wise I'm about 50% silver, 45% gold and 5% platinum. 

Also have about another 50% of the value of my physical stack in ETFs, these are split in terms of value (not weight) about 40% gold, 35% platinum and 25% silver.

Looking to add gold to the physical stack this year, and silver and platinum to the ETFs.

Bought some nice silver pieces in the 90s as a collector.  Took 20 years before I bought anything else, and then once again, took a few years off.  Finally, I got back on board with serious stacking around April of last year.   Happy with what I have so far, but never fully satisfied.

2 hours ago, Charverdude said:

About 2 months and only 10oz of silver , no gold yet lol 

Don’t worry the affliction only lasts until you’ve sold the house, the car, the wife and kids.................

5 minutes ago, TonyS said:

Don’t worry the affliction only lasts until you’ve sold the house, the car, the wife and kids.................

5 minutes ago, TonyS said:

Wife and kids lol I would have to pay the person in silver and gold to take them away so I would be worse off lol

Stacking off and on for about two years.  100 oz+ of silver, .25 oz. of gold.

I bought silver ETF’s during the bubble a few years ago  and got burned.  I prefer owning the physical metals now, but dividend-paying defensive equities will always be my first love.

The crazy thing is that when I first bought gold, half and full sovereigns in 2018 they were around £110 for a half and £200 for a full sovereign. 

I know obviously there will be those on here that remembers when they were £30 and £50 respectively but that’s a big jump in 18/20 months to what they are now being £150 ish for a half and £290 ish for a full sovereign. 

But any time is good, like the old saying....

05103B19-83B8-46CA-BD82-A4D8A9619623.jpeg

2 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I started in late 2013 with 5 oz of silver. Now got around 50 oz silver and 3.5 oz of gold and started buying gold in 2018.

Like everyone else I wish I’d started stacking gold sooner.

when i started buying gold it was 35 dollars a ounce. i was in high school. and when you get to be my age you will look back and think about how cheap gold was when you started buying gold. my philosophy is to never stop buying no mater what the price is as in the years ahead it will keep going up because this world is a screwed up mess!!!   jim

On 03/02/2020 at 20:14, Troy77 said:

6 months, no idea how much I have.

Just had 5 2020 Brits arrive from @arshimo2012 and thought I'd have a count up.

225 Oz of silver in 6 months. Around 40 Oz of pure @BackyardBullionperfection and the rest in mainly premium coins/rounds. Not including some old English that I have been selling off.

Oh dear I think I have a problem. A good one though.😁

Please Find me on Instagram  HERE            

Started at beginning of 2017.

I started with few coins for as gift  and then some for me. 

Started with Queen Beast's and Britannia's.

That I got infected with stacking.

Just silver, never like gold colour 😁😎

Never counted them exactly but around 1000-1200oz in coins mainly. Just adding up.

One day I have to check what I have exactly 😎

Pretend-stacking, many years. Much of my life.

For-real stacking, about five years.

What I mean by "pretend-stacking" is that I've always saved any silver coins I would find, which of course wasn't much at all. And I'd end up cashing in whatever handful of dimes and quarters I had to pay for expenses. That's because I simply couldn't afford much at all, though when I could I'd buy $1 dollar face, here and there.

But in the last five years or so my finances have changed for the better so I've been able to stack like I mean it. At first I focused mostly on silver to build a base while silver was cheap. Then when I reached about 200 ounces I started focusing more on gold. 

Then about a year and a half ago I had a suddenly huge expense and so I had to cash in the entire stack. I've since then rebuilt it bigger and better than it was before.

Began collecting in 1965. My parents became aware the coins were no longer silver, so we started keeping any old silver coins found in circulation. And my mother got me one of those blue albums to collect Lincoln pennies.

Began stacking for weight after the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, ca. 1980.

Archived