• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 7000+ members.

wolfiemac

Rolex 9ct Gold... old and looking sorry for itself

So here is a very old Rolex 1958 as of date on the back.

History of this watch…….we found it in the belongings of my mother in law after she died, it belonged to a relative on her husbands side of the family received after retirement from W S & E Co Ltd which was ( Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Ltd) that company then turned into the well known Swan Hunters Shipyard Newcastle

I did wind it up when i found it, it worked for a few minutes then stopped so I put it in a draw about 20yrs ago, i was going to get it looked at but it never happened.

I have blacked out the old family name on the back.

I have no idea what to do with it, i cant see me using it now so i was going just to keep it and pass it on too my two girls after i snuff it, however some of you guys might give me a idea on value ( it's been well used) i've not cleaned the watch so it's as found and with the old strap.

I did find a restored on on the net (see link, im well aware this is not in the same condition and inscription will have an effect on the price) but it gives the info about the watch, maybe collectors like old original condition Rolex’s??

So do I keep it or sell it ? If I did sell it I would buy some sovereigns for the girls…… but if it's only worth scrap value then i'll just keep it and they can do what they want with it.

Any info welcomed

https://www.vintagegoldwatches.com/product/rolex-precision-9k-1965/#lightbox[productLightBox]/1/

20200203_090308.jpg

20200203_090155.jpg

20200203_090141.jpg

20200203_090331.jpg

20200203_092723.jpg

Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 9.15.06 AM.png

Edited by wolfiemac

This is the kind of Rolex I can get on with (don’t like the new ones - some a bit brash for me). If it’s still ticking, there’s a good chance a simple service and clean will sort it out, costs upward of £40 depending on what you want done. 

If it’s totally kaput, they are mainly bought for parts or scrap, and £200-300 is where it’ll be at. A working price will depend a lot on what the condition is and if you have a box and paper work as these things dramatically change the value.

Honestly, I’ve seen these watches in similar condition, working and not getting more than £300 (that’s at auction so you could ask a percentage more as there is a buyers premium) without the box or paper work. If you do have the bits and pieces you can easily expect £1500-1800. Retailed in a shop you’d expect a fair bit more, but who gets paid retail? 😂 

If it were my watch I’d get it serviced, and enjoy wearing it now and again.

59 minutes ago, trp said:

This is the kind of Rolex I can get on with (don’t like the new ones - some a bit brash for me). If it’s still ticking, there’s a good chance a simple service and clean will sort it out, costs upward of £40 depending on what you want done. 

If it’s totally kaput, they are mainly bought for parts or scrap, and £200-300 is where it’ll be at. A working price will depend a lot on what the condition is and if you have a box and paper work as these things dramatically change the value.

Honestly, I’ve seen these watches in similar condition, working and not getting more than £300 (that’s at auction so you could ask a percentage more as there is a buyers premium) without the box or paper work. If you do have the bits and pieces you can easily expect £1500-1800. Retailed in a shop you’d expect a fair bit more, but who gets paid retail? 😂 

If it were my watch I’d get it serviced, and enjoy wearing it now and again.

I only have the watch no box or paperwork, i doubt any paperwork exists with it being given as a gift from work.

Ta for the info 👍

16 minutes ago, Roy said:

I like it.

If you would like to trade for gold, please PM me.

I know nothing of the value of old Rolexes but will take a risk at prices mentioned.

Roy

👍just weighing up my options, I doubt my kids would want it so i just need to decide what i want to do with it. 

DO NOT TAKE IT TO ROLEX they will absolutely, positively ruin the value of the watch beyond its brand name. They'll polish the hell out of it and if they still have them replace the dial and hands.
Find an independent watchmaker and do a clean, service adjust with and wear it as is... If you are looking to get rid of it shoot me a PM I would be willing to buy outright. Thanks

34 minutes ago, Dexter said:

DO NOT TAKE IT TO ROLEX they will absolutely, positively ruin the value of the watch beyond its brand name. They'll polish the hell out of it and if they still have them replace the dial and hands.
Find an independent watchmaker and do a clean, service adjust with and wear it as is... If you are looking to get rid of it shoot me a PM I would be willing to buy outright. Thanks

Cheers for the info, after posting on here i did take it to two local jewelers for prices on a repair, but both said they would send it away get it looked at and would get back to me with a price take a couple of weeks.......... tbh i didn't fancy handing it over and not knowing where it was going so it's still in the grubby hands......

Don't really have the repairers around me to get it repaired at the moment so still thinking about my options 👍

I have no knowledge of watches , but I would say if you get north of £250 then cash it in and get the gold for the girls. It would be more worthwhile for them and also it can begin a new journey for them. 

Few offers above from forum members.

Decisions, decisions and decisions.

Nice thread keep us updated on what the eventual outcome is pls

Edited by Tn21
Spelling

Join the rolex forums and ask on the vintage part of the forum. You should get a accurate price fast. The watch might be worth a nice chunk of money and is probably very rare. Do not sell it too someone who says i dont know what its worth but this is my offer. Usually thats how a conversation starts when you are getting ripped right off.

Edited by MrGeorge

9 hours ago, MrGeorge said:

Join the rolex forums and ask on the vintage part of the forum. You should get a accurate price fast. The watch might be worth a nice chunk of money and is probably very rare. Do not sell it too someone who says i dont know what its worth but this is my offer. Usually thats how a conversation starts when you are getting ripped right off.

Croatian watch "expert" negotiation tactics 101 😁 good thing he's not from here, he'd get absolutely annihilated by the honest watch people that want to help him offload the piece 😂.

I was looking for ine of these, I love collecting the Rolex Precision date just and variants like this. 

If you do plan on selling please let me know. I have some parts for this, so should be able to restore it back to new.