• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Toning. A good thing?

KevjustKev

Am I right in thinking that toning is more of an American passion? Yes, I can see that some coins can look 'better', yet the prices for toned coins are out of proportion to non toned.

The price for a 1 oz ASE, what, $20(?) toned $30+ for the same year. Is there a rhyme or reason?

Type about this for a bit🙂

20200201_104819.jpg

20200201_104830.jpg

Some coins look nice with the right toning, but if given the choice between a nicely toned coin and one that's exactly the same thing but non-toned, I'd take the non-toned coin. 

In my choice of women, I'd go for exactly the opposite. 

Looks nasty to me, just as bad in my opinion as the trend for ''reliced'' guitars and instruments , brand new instruments made to look like they where not only made 50+ years ago but have been used heavily for 50+ years and generally owned by people in their 20's who pay a huge premium for them when an actually 50+ year old instrument can be easily bought for generally less money than a brand new instrument that's been made to look old and well used - I collect instruments mainly guitars.  The artificial toning/ageing done to this poor coin would not just put me off buying this coin, but also make me add the seller to my list of sellers to never buy from.  In comparrision the oldest silver coin I have is from 1982 - something to do with the space shuttle Columbus I think, and it is still shiny and brand new looking, in fact it looks like it was minted yesterday, I'll even go so far as to say that I've found old Roman coins with far less discolouration than this 4 year old American Eagle has.

Yes, collectors do pay more for toned silver and gold coins. However, collectors won’t buy coins which they suspect have been artificially toned which is obviously the case with this modern silver Britannia. The person who artificially toned the Britannia is unsuccessfully attempting to create the rainbow toning effect sometimes seen on Morgan dollars. I have no problems with naturally toned silver and gold coins.

Tone is essentially “rust” of sorts. Place your nice shiny silver coin in a plastic bag with a boiled egg and in time you will achieve your tone. Alternatively keep blowing smoke on it or store it in your ash tray. New coins with rainbow patina have been cooked. If people want to pay extra for this then let them.

14 hours ago, Seth said:

Looks nasty to me, just as bad in my opinion as the trend for ''reliced'' guitars and instruments , brand new instruments made to look like they where not only made 50+ years ago but have been used heavily for 50+ years and generally owned by people in their 20's who pay a huge premium for them when an actually 50+ year old instrument can be easily bought for generally less money than a brand new instrument that's been made to look old and well used - I collect instruments mainly guitars.  The artificial toning/ageing done to this poor coin would not just put me off buying this coin, but also make me add the seller to my list of sellers to never buy from.  In comparrision the oldest silver coin I have is from 1982 - something to do with the space shuttle Columbus I think, and it is still shiny and brand new looking, in fact it looks like it was minted yesterday, I'll even go so far as to say that I've found old Roman coins with far less discolouration than this 4 year old American Eagle has.

At one time I did had a Fender Custom Shop '60's Tele heavy relic, I  brought not because of how it looked, but how it played.  

4 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

At one time I did had a Fender Custom Shop '60's Tele heavy relic, I  brought not because of how it looked, but how it played.  

Just out of curiosity have you ever had the opportunity to compare a real 60's Fender Telecaster against any of many varieties that Fender Custom Shop make of reissue 60's Telecasters?  I have, though mainly with Stratocasters, I'm not a fan of Telecasters, but one thing that I have noticed without exception accross the entire live of the heavy relics series is that compared to the actual guitars that they are meant to be reissues of, is that I have yet to see a real 60's or even 50's Fender as beat up loking as their Custom Shop relics, to be honest they look like they have been strapped to the tow bar on one of their employees cars, and he's been let loose to rip round the employee car park dragging them behind his car to his hearts content.  And don't get me started on neck profiles/shapes, thicknesses, and that's before you get to the electronics - I'm a musician, it's how I pay my bills so I'm extremelly picky when it comes to instruments especially guitars.

5 hours ago, Seth said:

Just out of curiosity have you ever had the opportunity to compare a real 60's Fender Telecaster against any of many varieties that Fender Custom Shop make of reissue 60's Telecasters?  I have, though mainly with Stratocasters, I'm not a fan of Telecasters, but one thing that I have noticed without exception accross the entire live of the heavy relics series is that compared to the actual guitars that they are meant to be reissues of, is that I have yet to see a real 60's or even 50's Fender as beat up loking as their Custom Shop relics, to be honest they look like they have been strapped to the tow bar on one of their employees cars, and he's been let loose to rip round the employee car park dragging them behind his car to his hearts content.  And don't get me started on neck profiles/shapes, thicknesses, and that's before you get to the electronics - I'm a musician, it's how I pay my bills so I'm extremelly picky when it comes to instruments especially guitars.

I have. I think many of the heavy relic are based on known players guitars like SRV Strat and rode hard and hung out wet. Agreed some are done far too much. On the other hand having a complete reissue of a 56 Strat makes no sense. All the advantages of a nice new guitar by with all the cons of the 50's, like having to take off the neck to adjust it and a three way switch  

Not a big fan of that sort of toning, a subtle,natural rainbowing on an older coin I can appreciate but prefer nice and shiny where possible. One situation where artificial toning is preferable is the dreaded milk spot, as any numismatic value is pretty much gone at that point anyway.

Archived