• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Proof Brexit 50p

danmc82

58 minutes ago, JonCL said:

That was my feeling when I was told that I was in a queue behind 37 people but my turn would come in under a minute!

No thanks, wasn’t that interested. Looking on ebay it seems that the £30 2-coin sets are being flogged at prices between £70-£125.

I was wrong about the sotd,but overall i see it going down after all the hype..Just couldn't risk being stuck with a £800 coin atm.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sotd sovs are already settling down to the £1000-1100 range after ebay fees, so possible a collector might be able to pick this up for less than the £800 issue price further down the road. Here is hoping so anyway on e the flippiters have cleared off.

The 50p silver proofs should also easily be available for less down the road due to very high mintage and a current ebay price of £70 minus fees so basically struggling to hold issue price already.

1 hour ago, Oldun said:

The sotd sovs are already settling down to the £1000-1100 range after ebay fees, so possible a collector might be able to pick this up for less than the £800 issue price further down the road. Here is hoping so anyway on e the flippiters have cleared off.

Was the same with the snowman etc,mad hype for weeks then just died price wise.

17 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

A large number have gone to dealers from what I hear. 

I think you’re spot on about that! I don’t think any dealer would miss an opportunity like this of acquiring a historical Brexit coin which they can sell irrespective whether they like the coin or not. Interestingly, Harrington & Byrne, has just recently advertised the silver proof version in one of the tabloids for the same price which the Royal Mint is selling it for. However, anyone familiar with their underhand tactics know it’s just a ploy to hard sell you their other coins which are overpriced proofs.

I am beginning to think I should buy a silver proof now while I can, they are selling for quite a bit more on eBay, and it is not even sold out yet! Come to think of it, 47,000 mintage is not a lot really when the whole nation is aware of the coin after wide publicity.

How many of you have bought the silver proof yet? I see it stands at 95% sold on the Mint website right now. If it sells out I'll get it from H&B. But I'm still in two minds whether I should get one or not. Increasingly, it is beginning to look like a "must have" coin... that will retain a relatively high premium in the secondary market. And so does the Brexit sovereign. It will never be available at £800 again... I'm really glad I ordered one now... phew.

12 hours ago, Serendipity said:

I think you’re spot on about that! I don’t think any dealer would miss an opportunity like this of acquiring a historical Brexit coin which they can sell irrespective whether they like the coin or not. Interestingly, Harrington & Byrne, has just recently advertised the silver proof version in one of the tabloids for the same price which the Royal Mint is selling it for. However, anyone familiar with their underhand tactics know it’s just a ploy to hard sell you their other coins which are overpriced proofs.

Yes, but still, a good deal from H&B... and in fact, cheaper than the Royal Mint (!) because they add free delivery too. 

On 02/02/2020 at 23:07, Oldun said:

The 50p silver proofs should also easily be available for less down the road due to very high mintage and a current ebay price of £70 minus fees so basically struggling to hold issue price already.

I think we have become used to low mintages from the Royal Mint in recent years... but historically, a mintage of 47,000 for a very popular national release is actually very low. Think of the UK population of 60 million... usually ordinary people don't get involved in commemorative coin releases. But this one is obviously different because of Brexit. And it has been advertised widely in national newspapers, the internet and on TV. And eBay prices kinda support this view... they're surprisingly high, consistently. And it's not even sold out yet.

The sotd is going for @£1,000 after fees so currently in the black to the tune of £200.

The 50p proof is going for @£63 after fees up to about @£100+ at the top end, so anywhere from wiping its face to £30-40 in the black.

3 hours ago, Oldun said:

The sotd is going for @£1,000 after fees so currently in the black to the tune of £200.

The 50p proof is going for @£63 after fees up to about @£100+ at the top end, so anywhere from wiping its face to £30-40 in the black.

Hmm if sold on the £1 deal, it's closer to £1,200... I see the cheapest one is going for £1,175. Most are listed for over £1,200.

43 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

Ill definitely be getting this coin but Ill wait until it falls in price, which I think it will due to mintage.

Don't count on that... I don't think anyone who paid £800 for it will sell it for little or no profit. What would have been the point then? It is a very rare and sought after new coin, you won't get it for much cheaper I think. It might even get more expensive. And the mintage of 1,500 is low... there is no proof sovereign with a mintage even close to that.

57 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Don't count on that... I don't think anyone who paid £800 for it will sell it for little or no profit. What would have been the point then? It is a very rare and sought after new coin, you won't get it for much cheaper I think. It might even get more expensive. And the mintage of 1,500 is low... there is no proof sovereign with a mintage even close to that.

I was talking about the Silver proof 😁 

I dont collect SOTD luckily.

On 05/02/2020 at 06:51, ilovesilverireallydo said:

A large number have gone to dealers from what I hear. 

I was under the impression that these coins where limited to 1 or 2 coins per household, I know it wouldn't be hard for dealers to get around this - just get each of their employees and friends to order the maximum each household is allowed to order.

13 minutes ago, Seth said:

I was under the impression that these coins where limited to 1 or 2 coins per household, I know it wouldn't be hard for dealers to get around this - just get each of their employees and friends to order the maximum each household is allowed to order.

The don’t need to do that. Dealers get allocated inventory- and can either choose to take it or not. This is one that I think most might have taken the allocation 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

13 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

Hmm if sold on the £1 deal, it's closer to £1,200... I see the cheapest one is going for £1,175. Most are listed for over £1,200.

Sure, if you did.....my figures are based on if you didn’t. As for listed, that is asking price not actual sold price upon which reality sits.

Last completed sale was Feb 5th for a known total of @ £1147. If reg fees taken, that would be @£1,000. Was that period a £1 day ? I don’t know.

Does anybody know if it's true that the silver proof 50p Brexit coin release or shipping date has been delayed due to the popularity/demand for the coin, as in the Royal Mint was not expecting them to sell as fast as they are selling? A mate of mine who ordered one received an email today from the Royal Mint saying that his order will be delayed due to ''unprecedented volume of orders'' of the coin.

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Does anybody know if it's true that the silver proof 50p Brexit coin release or shipping date has been delayed due to the popularity/demand for the coin, as in the Royal Mint was not expecting them to sell as fast as they are selling? A mate of mine who ordered one received an email today from the Royal Mint saying that his order will be delayed due to ''unprecedented volume of orders'' of the coin.

I got the same. Early March for delivery now. They mustn't have made all the coins yet.

£60 (+£5 p&p) for a fraction of an ounce of .925 with a mintage of 47,000 seems like too much of a mark-up to me but I put up with the self-loathing and ordered one nonetheless. I got the RM email saying that delivery has been delayed and payment temporarily reimbursed!

But that I’m not to worry, as soon as the coins become available they’ll take the money out again.

12 hours ago, Bullionaire said:

I got the same. Early March for delivery now. They mustn't have made all the coins yet.

Wow, so it truly is the Brexit coin, and the Royak Mint have gone all out with it, even going so far as to get it as authentic as possible, it's been delayed, just like Brexit was.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived