• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 7000+ forum members. 

Kman

Vitamins and mineral deficiencies

11 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

the more vegetarians and now with this massive rise in veganism we will get more cases like this.    The press especially bbc and channel 4 have such a thing against eating animal products they are forgetting the health benefits that they bring.     I don’t want to get into the morals of eating animal products but I think I people went back to eating what our grand parents did everyone would be better off.

imho if people gave up sugar and the Internet they would be a lot healthier than if they gave up meat

It's interesting to note CH4 invested massive amounts of money in two vegan companies, shortly thereafter foisting documentaries (upon the unsuspecting public) " Apocalypse Cow" " How meat killed the planet." 

The only thing these hypocrites have  against eating meat is money. There is old saying, money doesn't change people. it unmasks them. 

2 hours ago, Martlet said:

That may be a bad idea, vitamin D can have negative affects if you over consume.  Its used in absorbing calcium, if you have high levels of vit D and not sufficient calcium, the body scavenges bone to get calcium, leading to brittle bones. 

This is how it works from my understanding

Your body needs a constant level of calcium in your blood for everything to function correctly, if you don't get enough calcium in your diet to keep your blood level right your body will take it from your bones 

Vitamin D helps you put calcium into your bones, if you don't have enough vitamin D your body tells you digestive system to absorb less calcium

The body does this because if you do absorb the calcium without vitamin D, it will stay in your blood and clog your arteries and organs, this is called hypercalcemia

As far as I'm aware, vitamin D doesn't directly have a relationship taking calcium from the bones, only absorbing it from diet; too much will cause too much to be absorbed causing hypercalcemia rather than it being leeched from bones

However, too much vitamin D can cause vitamin k2 levels to go out of whack and k2 plays a role in bone health (not sure exactly what)

Along with vitamin D I take k2 and magnesium

Apparently under 10,000iu  of D daily is largely considered safe 

I personally alternate between taking 3000-6000iu a day and my last test result was 135nmol/l which is about right 

Edited by Kman

1 hour ago, robman60 said:

Interesting info here. I definitely feel fatigued quite a bit but I just attribute it to work. I take a multivitamin a few times a week too so I thought that should keep everything running properly. However, looking at my nails I have a reasonably clear moon on both thumbs and adefinecybsolutely none on the rest of my nails... What should I conclude?!

I've taken a multivitamin for years with 100% b12 but my b12 was still  bad

Saying that, the amount in the tablet is 2.5μ - the spray I'm taking is 300μg per spray lol so quite a difference

It's impossible to overdose on b12 (unlike vitamin D), what your body doesn't use you pee out so most doses for deficiency aim for around 1000 a day, maybe in injection or tablets or spray

I will say when I first starting taking the b12  though at 1200μg a day it did upset my stomach and give me anxiety for the first couple of weeks, especially the first few days, which apparently is common

My body seemed to adjust  though and I didn't get any side effects after two weeks

I took 1200μg for two months and now I take two sprays for 600μg a day and I've felt a lot better for it 

1 hour ago, MrGeorge said:

Load of rubbish that. You get around 10,000 units from 30 mins in the sun on average. Dr that put me onto it years ago took 20,000 iu in winter and 10,000 in summer, also he was that disgusted with the health system he ended up quitting his practice and opened a herbalist shop.

That does seem like a lot, everything I've read says 10,000 is around the upper limit

You can't overdose from sun absorbed vitD but you can from supplements 

As said in my post above I take alternate days of 3000/6000 in a spray and that made my level over a year to 135nmol/l which is about right

I also did a calcium test the other month just to check and my blood level came back a good level. If you're taking vitamin D at high amounts for a long period it wouldn't hurt to get your calcium level checked just to be sure

1321044646_calciumlevel.thumb.png.15239aa368b1596cf6e645c2ca39efce.png

Edited by Kman

3 hours ago, Bullionaire said:

it turns out you need stomach acid to break down meat (even though docs will tell you you don't need it)

really? you'd think they'd know basic physiology🙄

Happy to receive feedback on all my trades. If anyone wants feedback from me, just say the word.

On 27/01/2020 at 06:49, Kman said:

Just wanted to talk about general health, which of course is lifes true treasure 😜

My health personally wasn't the best in the past few years, had fatigue all the time, underweight, a general apathy towards life, irregular sleep pattern, bloated all the time 

It took meeting (my now ex) GF in 2018 that gave me the kick up the bum to want to feel better and have the energy to do things with her 

In November 2018 I finally went to the doctors, had a general type exam and blood test and it turned out my vitamin D was 14nmol, which is a severe deficiency

^ I should say, they only added checking vitamin D at my request, they weren't going to, if they hadn't my blood tests would have come back normal and I would have been none the wiser why I was feeling so tired all the time

I started taking vitamin D in the form of a oral spray by BetterYou, within a couple weeks I noticed a difference in my energy. The doctor had given me a prescription for tablets but I don't have the best digestion and the oral spray skips that and goes straight into the blood

Around this time I also tackled my bloating and went on a low fodmap diet, I cut out wheat, garlic and onion especially; it's not easy because I'm also vegetarian so cutting out bread/pastries/biscuits + any sauces with onion and garlic, it really narrows things down

By February 2019 after 3 months of vitamin D and my diet I was feeling so much better, I started exercising! never had the energy for any exercise, by May I was feeling the best I probably ever had in my life, was jogging had gained about 10lbs of healthy weight

By November I'd gained 18lbs in a year, some of it muscle, some of it healthy fat, but I started to feel fatigued again, not sleeping well, finding it harder to wake up, total lack of sex drive; felt a lot like when I had the vitamin D deficiency tbh, I thought maybe I was low in iron or b12 being vegetarian even though I do take a multivitamin everyday which is suppose to have 100% of those things

So I ordered a private blood test from Thriva and checked multiple things, blood counts, b9, b12, iron, liver, cholesterol, thyroid, vitamin D etc

My b12 was 20 something which is fairly deficient and in need  of attention;

What's interesting is on Thriva they check "active b12"  which is what your body can actually use, which is anywhere from 10-30% of your total b12 

If you have your blood checked by a doctor, they will check your red blood cell size, if it's normal they will assume your b12 is normal, but red blood cell size doesn't always correlate to b12 

Or, if they actually do check your b12 they check "total b12"  200 is considered normal, so my 20 active b12 score even though it's pretty deficient could have passed 200 so the NHS would have considered me fine 

Lack of b12 can have very very severe symptoms and long lasting issues if untreated, including neurological and trembling hands, so it's crazy the NHS don't check active b12

So I started taking b12 in the form of a spray, again by a company called BetterYou, again within a couple weeks I could tell a big difference

What's also interesting is you get b12 from animal products, meats, dairy; because I had cut out wheat I stopped eating pizza and cheese slices because of the bread and pastry, so in trying to help my stomach which it did I cut out too much dairy which led to my b12 deficiency; fix one problem cause another lol

I also realise cutting out dairy and bread that I'm not nearly getting enough iodine so I've started taking a supplement for that too as well as trying to eat cheese more often

I learned that a good indication of iodine and b12 deficiency can be seen in your nails; if you have strong half moons you're good, no moons + symptoms of fatigue etc you might want to get your b12/iron/thyroid function tested  

nailmoons.jpg.17dee83e5553b4a45522294efd1850b2.jpg

If you're living in the UK, regardless of anything, I would really recommend taking vitamin D spray over the winter because sunlight doesn't contain enough UVB radiation October to early March

vitamind.jpg

I think this picture shows the difference in my health now from sorting out vitamin deficiencies and actually having the energy to exercise. This is Feb last year to now, so about 11 months and 20lbs

health.thumb.jpg.d90348bb4001fd73783db7ab3e9c67a9.jpg 

Tremendous stuff.

The best diet from my experience is Keto. High saturated fat is key to health. 

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight of hand that was ever invented. But if you want to continue as the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money and to control credit."

Sir Josiah Stamp, Director of the Bank of England

Quite often Vitamin D deficiency is present alongside Folate deficiency. In the UK with it's lack of sunshine, many people are deficient in Vitamin D without knowing it. Tablets can be cheaply sourced from supermarkets/health shops etc and really don't need a prescription from a GP. It is recommended that most of the population take supplements. I certainly did as a child having a daily Haliborange tablet to ensure I had sufficient due to lack of sunshine where I lived at the time.

A more serious ailment is being deficient in Vitamin B12 which can be temporary or be Pernicious anaemia for which medical intervention is needed.

Do check with your GP if you suffer symptoms such as KMan as the symptoms could also come from other causes. A wise thing to do is insist on having your Vitamin levels check via a blood test.

Seems there is general lack of knowledge about vitamins and minerals, their sources and functions. Maybe I've been lucky but this knowledge was learnt during my school days. I could elaborate further but if you are interested, their is always Google.

Well done Kman for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Posted (edited)

I had a blood test recently with Thriva, they test your testosterone for free included

My total testosterone is 32.7 nmol/ which is high, very good I thought.. 

However my free testosterone is 0.394 nmol/l which is healthy, but on the lower end of average

My problem comes with my SHBG which is 83.2 nmol/L which is high, should only be about double my total testosterone so I'm losing maybe 25% of what my free testosterone should/could be

^ SHGB binds with testosterone to make it inactive, so all though my testosterone level is high my SHGB is cancelling out what should be a good thing

Reading about it, I suspect it might be mild hyperthyroidism 

"Men with hyperthyroidism have elevated concentrations of testosterone and SHBG"

"an iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism, a condition in which the body can't make enough thyroid hormones"

So my plan of action has been to take more iodine (not much more than the RDA) and also boron, I've been doing that for the past 4 days and I have to say I'm already feeling a bit brighter, not that I felt bad before but I do feel more virile now 🤠 hopefully continues that upward curve 

Edited by Kman

40 minutes ago, Kman said:

I had a blood test recently with Thriva, they test your testosterone for free included

My total testosterone is 32.7 nmol/ which is high, very good I thought.. 

However my free testosterone is 0.394 nmol/l which is healthy, but on the lower end of average

My problem comes with my SHBG which is 83.2 nmol/L which is high, should only be about double my total testosterone so I'm losing maybe 25% of what my free testosterone should/could be

^ SHGB binds with testosterone to make it inactive, so all though my testosterone level is high my SHGB is cancelling out what should be a good thing

Reading about it, I suspect it might be mild hyperthyroidism 

"Men with hyperthyroidism have elevated concentrations of testosterone and SHBG"

"an iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism, a condition in which the body can't make enough thyroid hormones"

So my plan of action has been to take more iodine (not much more than the RDA) and also boron, I've been doing that for the past 4 days and I have to say I'm already feeling a bit brighter, not that I felt bad before but I do feel more virile now 🤠 hopefully continues that upward curve 

Oh dear kman, I'm afraid this is another example of where the internet falls down. It's the "don't read the medical dictionary" syndrome. Your post is full of errors and misconceptions. Steroid metabolism is incredibly complicated and your take on your thyroid function is confused. If you don't have symptoms don't worry or take professional advice.

Happy to receive feedback on all my trades. If anyone wants feedback from me, just say the word.

4 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Oh dear kman, I'm afraid this is another example of where the internet falls down. It's the "don't read the medical dictionary" syndrome. Your post is full of errors and misconceptions. Steroid metabolism is incredibly complicated and your take on your thyroid function is confused. If you don't have symptoms don't worry or take professional advice.

If the objective is to be helpful it's better to say "here's where you've gone wrong" rather than "you're wrong" and leave it there 

Could you point out the errors as you understand them? thanks

On 27/01/2020 at 20:47, Kman said:

This is how it works from my understanding

Your body needs a constant level of calcium in your blood for everything to function correctly, if you don't get enough calcium in your diet to keep your blood level right your body will take it from your bones 

Vitamin D helps you put calcium into your bones, if you don't have enough vitamin D your body tells you digestive system to absorb less calcium

The body does this because if you do absorb the calcium without vitamin D, it will stay in your blood and clog your arteries and organs, this is called hypercalcemia

As far as I'm aware, vitamin D doesn't directly have a relationship taking calcium from the bones, only absorbing it from diet; too much will cause too much to be absorbed causing hypercalcemia rather than it being leeched from bones

However, too much vitamin D can cause vitamin k2 levels to go out of whack and k2 plays a role in bone health (not sure exactly what)

Along with vitamin D I take k2 and magnesium

Apparently under 10,000iu  of D daily is largely considered safe 

I personally alternate between taking 3000-6000iu a day and my last test result was 135nmol/l which is about right 

Calcium is not a problem for nearly most people.

Magnesium deficiency is a much more common problem, but also one that usually doesn't easily show up on blood tests as only a small fraction of magnesium stores in the body are in blood.

Magnesium and Vit-D3 go hand in hand. A deficiency in one is often exacerbated in an deficiency in the other.

6 minutes ago, vand said:

Magnesium and Vit-D3 go hand in hand. A deficiency in one is often exacerbated in an deficiency in the other.

I'm not sure that's strictly true

Vitamin D needs magnesium for your liver to turn into the active form

But I think you could have a fine level of magnesium without vitamin D?

The problem I thought was vitamin D uses up your magnesium and if you're already low it could leave you potentially deficient

So magnesium helps  VitD but VitD could not help magnesium 

8 minutes ago, Kman said:

I'm not sure that's strictly true

Vitamin D needs magnesium for your liver to turn into the active form

But I think you could have a fine level of magnesium without vitamin D?

The problem I thought was vitamin D uses up your magnesium and if you're already low it could leave you potentially deficient

So magnesium helps  VitD but VitD could not help magnesium 

Yep, could be. Been a while since I've sucked all this in. I think my general takeaway was that D3, K2 & Magnesium all work synergistically. 

7 minutes ago, vand said:

Yep, could be. Been a while since I've sucked all this in. I think my general takeaway was that D3, K2 & Magnesium all work synergistically. 

Yep certainly do and calcium and probably other things I'm not educated on (not that I'm well educated on any of it) 

For those in the UK looking to get vitamin D, Boots are out of stock at the moment, but you can get this direct from Vitabiotics: https://www.vitabiotics.com/products/ultra-vitamin-d-1000iu It is 3 for 2, but there is currently a limit of 2 of these vitamin D, but it is fine as you can just select another item in the 3 for 2.

@Kman I also recommend these if you find you feel tired sometimes: https://www.vitabiotics.com/products/wellman-energy they have worked for me, haven't tried the lime ones yet but the Orange ones taste good IMO. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF InstagramTSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page

📸  Please CLICK and follow our Instagram, 1000+ IG followers 📸

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChrisSilver said:

@Kman I also recommend these if you find you feel tired sometimes: https://www.vitabiotics.com/products/wellman-energy they have worked for me, haven't tried the lime ones yet but the Orange ones taste good IMO. 

Thanks for the recommendation

It's not being tired as such, I will explain what's wrong (it's always something with me :P ) 

A while ago I switched to a different multivitamin that had iodine in, after a couple weeks I felt fantastic

But then after 3 weeks I started to get heartburn a lot then by 4 weeks I was getting heartburn every night and it was really effecting my sleep quality

I tried cutting out foods, not eating after a certain time close to bed but even foods that should be safe were giving me issues

I compared mulitvitamins and the new one didn't have vitamin E or Zinc, I switched back to the old multivtamin and after a week the heartburn was lessening and after two weeks it was much better and my sleep quality was much better too, back to feeling great

Whether it was a lack of zinc or vitamin E, or just something in the newer multivitamin I'm not sure 

However in the past 3 weeks despite my energy being good, working out I don't feel as strong, I can still move the weights but I don't like an animal; I also feel like I'm carrying a little more fat and my libidio has got progressively less, everything in my blood work is fine minus my SHGB is high

I suspect my issue is it's a mild iodine deficiency since it's been a while since I've taken any iodine supplement, I think about 10 weeks,  and I know I'm not getting nearly enough in my diet

I google stuff like "iodine SHGB" and things came up linking the two, things which Steve poo poo'd 😛

Maybe they aren't linked, but yes I've been taking iodine again past 4 days along with boron and I can already feel a positive difference that I don't think is a placebo because it involves involuntary body responses 

Edited by Kman

3 hours ago, Kman said:

If the objective is to be helpful it's better to say "here's where you've gone wrong" rather than "you're wrong" and leave it there 

Could you point out the errors as you understand them? thanks

Sorry if I came over critical and patronising, I can see that someone could have thought that. It was not my intention.

I will simply say that you are venturing into a complicated Medical Biochemistry field and using internet searching to diagnose and attempt to "treat" yourself whether it be upping your intake of certain vitamins and minerals or whatever is not a good idea IMO.

I am qualified in this area but not prepared to give advice or correct misconceptions on a public forum. It would be unprofessional and I am retired anyway.

As I said, if you have symptoms, please consult a GP or Clinical Endocrinologist.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

upping your intake of certain vitamins and minerals or whatever is not a good idea IMO.

No worries

I'm taking 200μg of Iodine, 150 is the RDA

The boron is 3mg and and upper limit isn't fully established but anything under 20mg is believed safe and I think clinical trials were done with 6-10

There's no concern of having adverse effects from these levels, not short term anyway, will see how I feel and drop the iodine back after a couple weeks

Edit> even on the NHS website it says "Taking 0.5mg or less a day of iodine supplements is unlikely to cause any harm" so I'm not even taking half of that 

Edited by Kman

If I were you @Kman I would do some in-depth research if you are not seeing your GP over your concerns. Mind you, most GPs are not well versed in the area of supplements. Rather than Google, I would read up on some of the information pages of two well respected vitamin and supplement companies, and ring them to discuss any issues you have. They have experience in these areas. Bear in mind you should get professional advice of your own. I would recommend a consultation with your GP as their may be other things going on that only tests via the GP can identify.

I would recommend checking out these two well respected companies who produce quality supplements. 

https://www.oxfordvitality.co.uk/products

https://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop

Posted (edited)

Lots of fresh veggies, and meat...liver, fish, pork, beef, especially broccoli. Definitely an apple a day, sometimes a banana. And I top up with a zinc supplement, and calcium, Vitamin Bs etc and green tea.

oh.....and beer.......lots of beer :)

Edited by Oldun

Always interested in sovereigns, 1/2 sovereigns and British so feel free to pm me if you are selling

Ive seriously upped my supplements game recently. This is what i take daily now.

turmeric 600mg x6 daily

vitamin D 12000 iu daily

zinc sulphate 220mg daily 

juice 12 oranges for vitamin C daily

tablespoon of black seed oil daily

1L of tonic water daily

2L of distilled water daily

1 tablespoon of bicarbonate soda daily

then hot baths each night and rotate between 1kg of pink Himalayan salt or else 1kg of bicarbonate soda mixed with 500g of citric acid.

Not a chance i am getting ill anytime soon 😃 

Gosh that’s quite a recipe @MrGeorge perhaps you can explain to the uninitiated why you regular take them and how each of those is supposed to benefit you? 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷