Vitamins and mineral deficiencies - All other non PM related discussions - The Silver Forum Jump to content
  • The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 7000+ forum members. Established since 2014.

Kman

Vitamins and mineral deficiencies

Just wanted to talk about general health, which of course is lifes true treasure 😜

My health personally wasn't the best in the past few years, had fatigue all the time, underweight, a general apathy towards life, irregular sleep pattern, bloated all the time 

It took meeting (my now ex) GF in 2018 that gave me the kick up the bum to want to feel better and have the energy to do things with her 

In November 2018 I finally went to the doctors, had a general type exam and blood test and it turned out my vitamin D was 14nmol, which is a severe deficiency

^ I should say, they only added checking vitamin D at my request, they weren't going to, if they hadn't my blood tests would have come back normal and I would have been none the wiser why I was feeling so tired all the time

I started taking vitamin D in the form of a oral spray by BetterYou, within a couple weeks I noticed a difference in my energy. The doctor had given me a prescription for tablets but I don't have the best digestion and the oral spray skips that and goes straight into the blood

Around this time I also tackled my bloating and went on a low fodmap diet, I cut out wheat, garlic and onion especially; it's not easy because I'm also vegetarian so cutting out bread/pastries/biscuits + any sauces with onion and garlic, it really narrows things down

By February 2019 after 3 months of vitamin D and my diet I was feeling so much better, I started exercising! never had the energy for any exercise, by May I was feeling the best I probably ever had in my life, was jogging had gained about 10lbs of healthy weight

By November I'd gained 18lbs in a year, some of it muscle, some of it healthy fat, but I started to feel fatigued again, not sleeping well, finding it harder to wake up, total lack of sex drive; felt a lot like when I had the vitamin D deficiency tbh, I thought maybe I was low in iron or b12 being vegetarian even though I do take a multivitamin everyday which is suppose to have 100% of those things

So I ordered a private blood test from Thriva and checked multiple things, blood counts, b9, b12, iron, liver, cholesterol, thyroid, vitamin D etc

My b12 was 20 something which is fairly deficient and in need  of attention;

What's interesting is on Thriva they check "active b12"  which is what your body can actually use, which is anywhere from 10-30% of your total b12 

If you have your blood checked by a doctor, they will check your red blood cell size, if it's normal they will assume your b12 is normal, but red blood cell size doesn't always correlate to b12 

Or, if they actually do check your b12 they check "total b12"  200 is considered normal, so my 20 active b12 score even though it's pretty deficient could have passed 200 so the NHS would have considered me fine 

Lack of b12 can have very very severe symptoms and long lasting issues if untreated, including neurological and trembling hands, so it's crazy the NHS don't check active b12

So I started taking b12 in the form of a spray, again by a company called BetterYou, again within a couple weeks I could tell a big difference

What's also interesting is you get b12 from animal products, meats, dairy; because I had cut out wheat I stopped eating pizza and cheese slices because of the bread and pastry, so in trying to help my stomach which it did I cut out too much dairy which led to my b12 deficiency; fix one problem cause another lol

I also realise cutting out dairy and bread that I'm not nearly getting enough iodine so I've started taking a supplement for that too as well as trying to eat cheese more often

I learned that a good indication of iodine and b12 deficiency can be seen in your nails; if you have strong half moons you're good, no moons + symptoms of fatigue etc you might want to get your b12/iron/thyroid function tested  

nailmoons.jpg.17dee83e5553b4a45522294efd1850b2.jpg

If you're living in the UK, regardless of anything, I would really recommend taking vitamin D spray over the winter because sunlight doesn't contain enough UVB radiation October to early March

vitamind.jpg

I think this picture shows the difference in my health now from sorting out vitamin deficiencies and actually having the energy to exercise. This is Feb last year to now, so about 11 months and 20lbs

health.thumb.jpg.d90348bb4001fd73783db7ab3e9c67a9.jpg 

Edited by Kman

4 minutes ago, Groundup said:

Good for you for listening to you body and actually doing something about it. Like you say health is by far one of life's true measure's.👍

I wasn't going to for my own sake sadly, I wouldn't say I was depressed just very apathetic towards my own health

I was lucky to meet my ex at the time and that being a catalyst for wanting to improve for her sake to be a better partner

Edited by Kman

33 minutes ago, Kman said:

I learned that a good indication of iodine and b12 deficiency can be seen in your nails; if you have strong half moons you're good, no moons + symptoms of fatigue etc you might want to get your b12/iron/thyroid function tested

I thought it was the other way round! I thought if you have them it means you have a deficiency. I don't have these half moons now and I am always sleepy and tired. A blood test might be a good idea. 

the more vegetarians and now with this massive rise in veganism we will get more cases like this.    The press especially bbc and channel 4 have such a thing against eating animal products they are forgetting the health benefits that they bring.     I don’t want to get into the morals of eating animal products but I think I people went back to eating what our grand parents did everyone would be better off.

imho if people gave up sugar and the Internet they would be a lot healthier than if they gave up meat

3 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

the more vegetarians and now with this massive rise in veganism we will get more cases like this.    The press especially bbc and channel 4 have such a thing against eating animal products they are forgetting the health benefits that they bring.     I don’t want to get into the morals of eating animal products but I think I people went back to eating what our grand parents did everyone would be better off.

imho if people gave up sugar and the Internet they would be a lot healthier than if they gave up meat

A balanced diet of everything is best for you indeed, meat, dairy, fish, a full rainbow of vegetables and fruits 

Cut out any of of those for an extended time and don't supplement what you're missing you're likely to have issues to varying degrees

I wish I'd researched more when I first became vegetarian but you only know what you know 

23 minutes ago, Fathallazf said:

I thought it was the other way round! I thought if you have them it means you have a deficiency. I don't have these half moons now and I am always sleepy and tired. A blood test might be a good idea. 

If it's been a while since you've had one it can't do any harm to check

I'm tempted to ask you a lot of questions to try and diagnose you like are you on a special diet, is your neck in the thyroid area enlarged, do you have pale inner eyelids , any tongue swelling, ulcers in your mouth/throat or red spots on your tongue; I've learned a lot in the past year about vitamin deficiencies and symptoms but i wont grill you with questions  😛

Edited by Kman

We are omnivores  & as such our digestive systems & bodies need a balance from all food groups. In our mouths we have teeth that have canines & incisors for dealing with meat & molars for grinding. That should tell all these diet & fad gurus something.

My daughter when she was 15 ( & believed in all this s--t in the media about fad diets & lifestyles) said she was going vegetarian & I said good luck with that because as long as you live here & I'm making all the meals you'll be eating the same as me. She was not entirely happy a bout that lol, but now she is a fit 9st young woman at Uni & actually cooks healthy meals unlike most of her peers.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

i'm not against eating meat per se 

I'm very against factory farming, extremely unnatural and cruel

I have more respect for people who hunt humanly; at least the animals get to have a natural life

Personally I love animals, I know I couldn't harm one and if I'm not willing to do it myself I shouldn't eat them so I don't

This was more suppose to be about vitamins etc though than a debate on plant based diets 😛

I tell you guys another interesting health fact I learned recently, I might not do a great job explaining it

You have nitric oxide which helps your blood vessels widen and helps circulation

When you exercise, something in your saliva or mouth turns nitric into nitric oxide and when you swallow it, it's good for you

If however you use strong mouthwash close to the time you workout, before or after, you kill the good bacteria in your mouth that do this process and you wont get the same benefits

Mouthwash also kills bacteria that play a role in insulin and can help lead to diabetes

So yes, there's very important healthy bacteria in your mouth the same as in your gut that you don't want to kill with mouthwash.

2 hours ago, Kman said:

If it's been a while since you've had one it can't do any harm to check

I'm tempted to ask you a lot of questions to try and diagnose you like are you on a special diet, is your neck in the thyroid area enlarged, do you have pale inner eyelids , any tongue swelling, ulcers in your mouth/throat or red spots on your tongue; I've learned a lot in the past year about vitamin deficiencies and symptoms but i wont grill you with questions  😛

Thyroid size is normal, no swelling/ulcer on my tongue/mouth/throat. eyes are normal I guess, pretty handsome 33 years old guy 😛.

But yea I am underweight and it happened all of a sudden. My vitamin D was 22"ml"  (can't remember the proper unit) when I last checked 6 month ago, took the vitamin D tablets course and that's it. But yea I used to have these half moons (Lunula) but they are gone now. 

Any ideas what's wrong with me doctor 😋?  

2 hours ago, sixgun said:

As usual the people are lied to.
The 1950's Seven Countries study of Ancel Keys shows how fraudulent science often is. The study looked at heart disease and saturated fat in the diet. The results presented were that in countries eating more saturated (animal) fats there were higher rates of heart disease compared with countries eating low amounts.
From here we got the lipid hypothesis of artheriosclerosis and heart disease. That fat was bad for us. From there they we got the drive to get animal fats out of the diet and introduce vegetable oils.
From there we heard we should not eat many eggs, we should eat margarine and not butter, we should have skimmed milk not full, we should have a synthetic cream not real cream, we should eat less meat and cut all the fat off. 
From there we heard we should cook with vegetable oils and not lard/dripping.

The thing is the study did not look at fat in the diet in seven countries. The study was in 22 countries but if you included the data from all of them there was no relationship between saturated fat and heart disease. The US government knew the study was a fraud but for 60+ years and still today the lies are peddled as good medical and dietary science. 

So in the name of so called health promotion vegetable oils were pushed (Big Agri wanted this) - people switched to vegetable oils. They cut fat out of the diet. But how do people get their calories when high calorie fat is taken out of the diet? They ate much more carbohydrate and especially sugar - sucrose and fructose - refined to the hilt. Often it is hidden in processed food. It gives the food taste, it fills you up but it isn't healthy.

Sugar (sucrose a chemical combination of glucose and fructose) and especially lots of refined fructose is a killer are eaten in vastly larger amounts. Tooth decay goes up - hmmm better tell the lie fluoride helps (which it doesn't) and then the water is poisoned with poisonous fluoride in the name of dental health.

Since the move away from saturated animal fats the population has got much fatter, diabetes rates have sky rocketed - heart disease rates have increased - arterial disease rates increased - fatty liver rates got off the chart. 
The fructose is hard for the liver to process - it screws up the lipids in the blood - it causes the arterial disease, it causes fatty liver. 

Some of the things people were told, things like eggs are bad for you were just illogical. The egg is everything needed to make a chick. Chickens are not so dissimilar to us - they are massively more similar than a jar of processed vegetable oils or a turnip. The egg sounds like the perfect food - eggs are good.

Animal fats are like our own fat. Our bodies are designed to deal with our own fat not with a bottle of industrially processed sunflower oil.
Most of the vegetable oils are unsaturated - they oxidise really easily - then they become even more toxic. Animal fats are saturated - they don't oxidise easily, you can fry with them safely - they are safe to eat.

Everything we have been told in the last 60 odd years has been on its head, back-to-front. Big profits from the Big Agriculture/Food companies but terrible for people's health. The Vegan drive is the same - veganism is unhealthy but we are told we should go vegan to save the planet from the non existent man made global warming. If the controlled media are pushing something they are lying about it and it is part of a propaganda campaign which is certainly not intended to be good for us.

This!

Check out Michael Pollen's book "in defence of food". Really eye opening how the FDA really don't know what the hell they are talking about, as it compares diets all around the world to the western diet and the effects it has on our body.

Vitamins A D E K are ALL fat soluble, which means you need to take in fats with your diet order to absorb them fully.

Vitamins B and C are water soluble, which means the same as above but only with water. 

If your struggling to get your vitamin b12 in, I would recommend looking at growing your own vegetables and not washing the dirt off (obviously take the lumps etc off with your hands) soil contains natural sources of b12. Also if you like marmite then also a winner.

I'm trying to find the details of vitamins & minerals from my course on my laptop, if ill find it ill attach it as its super helpful.

Update

Check out this PDF file I've attached for you, start from page 65 and work your way down, page 87 gives you all of the vitamins, their uses and what best sources to get them from. Id personally recommend having eggs in your diet, they are a superfood that gives you so much of what you need as a human.

Hope this helps.

AIQ_L3.pdf

Edited by nee4891

They talk about the Mediterranean diet for good health but I believe sunlight is possibly more of a benefit than olive oil and sardines.
Nowadays few of us have the time in our busy schedules to get outdoors and if we do especially in winter it is dark.

More and more people seem to be suffering from heartburn and indigestion relying on Gaviscon and similar anti-acids.
There are over the counter remedies involving a pill in the morning that stops excess stomach acid being produced so avoiding the need to reach for the Rennies or Gaviscon in the middle of the night. I know more and more people being prescribed Omeprazole which seems to be extremely effective and can be purchased in pharmacies in the USA in giant tubs.

If you suffer from regular heartburn then Omeprazole is definitely a long term solution BUT this drug prevents adequate absorption of vitamin B12 which you already know is essential for healthy red blood cells etc and lack of B12 will definitely make you feel tired and lethargic. The solution is to take a B12 supplement. Reading about this further it is a problem for vegans and they also need to take this vitamin, some by injection apparently.

Everything points back to a varied diet as nature intended and if humans were meant to graze we would have had 2 stomachs and no canine or incisor teeth.

I take about 10x the recommended vitamin d level daily, i take 12,000 IU also try to drink 2L of distilled water daily. Every now and again i take black seed oil and turmeric. Only do this because my diet is horrendous have zero health problem but still relatively young at 38.

Been trying to get cut out meat and dairy for about a year, done a month but always end up slipping up. By time i get to 40 ideally want to be completely meat and dairy free. Even thinking about opening a vegan fast food place in my area to help me get off meat lol

Edited by MrGeorge

1 hour ago, Pete said:

They talk about the Mediterranean diet for good health but I believe sunlight is possibly more of a benefit than olive oil and sardines.
Nowadays few of us have the time in our busy schedules to get outdoors and if we do especially in winter it is dark.

More and more people seem to be suffering from heartburn and indigestion relying on Gaviscon and similar anti-acids.
There are over the counter remedies involving a pill in the morning that stops excess stomach acid being produced so avoiding the need to reach for the Rennies or Gaviscon in the middle of the night. I know more and more people being prescribed Omeprazole which seems to be extremely effective and can be purchased in pharmacies in the USA in giant tubs.

If you suffer from regular heartburn then Omeprazole is definitely a long term solution BUT this drug prevents adequate absorption of vitamin B12 which you already know is essential for healthy red blood cells etc and lack of B12 will definitely make you feel tired and lethargic. The solution is to take a B12 supplement. Reading about this further it is a problem for vegans and they also need to take this vitamin, some by injection apparently.

Everything points back to a varied diet as nature intended and if humans were meant to graze we would have had 2 stomachs and no canine or incisor teeth.

That omeprazole burnt a hole right through my aunt’s stomach and has links to dementia. Definitely wouldn’t touch that stuff.

Its crazy heartburn can be instantly took away with one small spoon of bicarbonate soda but bicarbonate soda is so good for the human body and alkalising the body. Makes you wonder why the powers that be want to push these damaging drugs onto us.

Loads of good info in this thread.  

I went to the GP with symptoms of really extreme fatigue the onset of severe eczema / psoriasis, tight throat, acid reflux etc. This happened after I contracted Scarlett fever and was in a location where I could not get antibiotics for about a week   

First GP was useless - I asked a friend who is a doctor and she advised me to go to another doctor.  

Doc 2 said “ok that’s not normal let’s get some tests done”.  Turned out to be my thyroid at fault and I now take levothyroxine which makes a massive difference. 

My advice is definitely to listen to your body and don’t get fobbed off by a GP!

Edited by dicker

Interesting info here. I definitely feel fatigued quite a bit but I just attribute it to work. I take a multivitamin a few times a week too so I thought that should keep everything running properly. However, looking at my nails I have a reasonably clear moon on both thumbs and absolutely none on the rest of my nails... What should I conclude?!

6 hours ago, MrGeorge said:

I take about 10x the recommended vitamin d level daily, i take 12,000 IU

That may be a bad idea, vitamin D can have negative affects if you over consume.  Its used in absorbing calcium, if you have high levels of vit D and not sufficient calcium, the body scavenges bone to get calcium, leading to brittle bones. 

18 minutes ago, robman60 said:

Interesting info here. I definitely feel fatigued quite a bit but I just attribute it to work. I take a multivitamin a few times a week too so I thought that should keep everything running properly. However, looking at my nails I have a reasonably clear moon on both thumbs and absolutely none on the rest of my nails... What should I conclude?!

Most multivitamins only have 100% or less of the daily recommended amount. If you are deficient, this is not enough to bring you back up to good levels. 

You would have to get a blood test to check your levels though if you think you might be deficient.

6 hours ago, MrGeorge said:

That omeprazole burnt a hole right through my aunt’s stomach and has links to dementia. Definitely wouldn’t touch that stuff.

I took it for a month when the doctors thought I might have acid reflux (no real diagnosis, just pop and pray). I've never felt so Ill. I was exhausted for the month i was on them and had zero appetite. I lost about 2 stone (I was fairly skinny anyway) and had to drink 1000 calories shakes to get some nutrients into me. I decided to stop taking the omeprazole and surprise surprise improved again. 

After I did some more research, it turns out you need stomach acid to break down meat (even though docs will tell you you don't need it) and that the acidity levels in your stomach actually trigger the sphincter at the bottom of the stomach to open. If you have no or little acid, the sphincter isn't triggered, you get food churning in your stomach and more chance of reflux (including silent reflux, which doesn't give the same heartburn, but does give lead to other troubles)

Never again. Absolute poison. 

7 minutes ago, Martlet said:

That may be a bad idea, vitamin D can have negative affects if you over consume.  Its used in absorbing calcium, if you have high levels of vit D and not sufficient calcium, the body scavenges bone to get calcium, leading to brittle bones. 

Load of rubbish that. You get around 10,000 units from 30 mins in the sun on average. Dr that put me onto it years ago took 20,000 iu in winter and 10,000 in summer, also he was that disgusted with the health system he ended up quitting his practice and opened a herbalist shop.

Taking a recommended daily allowance of any vitamins will do little to nothing for you. I take turmeric regularly its a spice and the most power anti inflammatory known to man. It clearly says take two capsules daily DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN RECOMMENDED lol its a spice and it has amazing health benefits you could take a full bottle daily 60 capsules and you would feel great.