• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Leaving the EU - SOTD Sovereign

creative

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

What about different Alloy Sovereigns?

9ct,18ct, 24ct. Or would changing the Alloy be considered sacrilege.

I'd love a platinum sovereign for the platinum jubilee 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

2 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

But who's going to sell theirs at a discounted price, after having forked out £800? Not me! I guess that would only happen if someone is in dire need of quick cash... and people who can afford to buy £800 sovereigns normally don't fall into that category.

Or maybe people that buy them to flip thinking they will go up,But then drop in price so are sold to recover some funds.

As person x can't have £800 tied up in a coin long term.

I think at this mintage and at this price one can only afford to gamble if one has nothing to lose (i.e. can easily accept the loss if ever forced to sell in a hurry).

It looks like a shocker to me (even if it's a nice coin) and can't see any way they can make this a 'winner'.

I wouldn't even say this is one for collectors at 'money no object'. Perhaps that's the incredible double (tripled!) bluff by the Mint - they sell so few of these they become as rare as anything (???) :wacko:

All imvho.

I think that the silver could have been good at a 20,000 mintage but even a major event like brexit will have its limits. They might sell them all but I can't see much of a resale profit. Only one to buy if you like the design. 

SOTD - crazy. Probably priced to reflex Una and the lion resales. I might be wrong on this one but for me it's not worth it. Nothing special about the design. 

4 hours ago, Kman said:

Would you guys all like modern sovereigns to be done in proof the same 10,000 mintage every year forever more?

At least when there was just one proof sovereign a year, you knew where you were!

Does the Privy mark improve the design?  I think most people struggle to make it out.  I fear in future years we will see a rash of sovereigns with scratches around the Privy mark where people have tried to remove what they think is just a blob on the coin!

We are coming to the end of January and already we have had the following 2020 dated sovereigns:

2020 proof with George III Privy mark

2020 Matt BU with George III Privy mark

2020 bullion with no Privy mark

2020 SOTD with Portcullis Privy mark (in 3 days)

How many more 2020 sovereigns will there be by the end of the year?

One or two more 2020 SOTDs (at £800 each?)?

A 2020 piedfort sovereign?

An Indian 2020 sovereign?

Any other suggestions?

I’m afraid this looks like the death spiral of the sovereign rather than an attempt to build up its collectability appeal.

18 hours ago, arcglide said:

I wonder if @xthomasx isn't just on to something... 🤔

The Brexit 50p is the same price as any proof 50p gold at £945.  There must be something about the sovereign that justifies its multiple to spot.  V&A SOTDs were £500 from memory?

I have just spoken to someone at the Royal Mint about the SOTD sovereign.  Interestingly the person said that they were not able to give out any details about the coin until it had been issued on Friday.  This meant they could not even confirm the price!  So we will have to wait until Friday to see what justifies this price tag of £800.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

I have just spoken to someone at the Royal Mint about the SOTD sovereign.  Interestingly the person said that they were not able to give out any details about the coin until it had been issued on Friday.  This meant they could not even confirm the price!  So we will have to wait until Friday to see what justifies this price tag of £800.

Exclusive before and after footage from the Royal Mint briefing for staff about the upcoming super secret SotD piedfort plain edge portcullis privy Sovereign nothing at all, whatsoever:

The deliberate secret squirrel hype by The Mint is borderline psychotic now....talk about letting everyone do their marketing for them !

It is what children do....oooh, I have a secret but I am not telling you....then the classmates all tell each other someone has a secret and it gets hyped.....and it works !

6 hours ago, Guybrush said:

Are there any details about when on Friday these coins are released?

7am or 9am is my guess, maybe they will send out an email to the people who registered with an update the day before 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Oh......just to confirm as well..... 

I went to buy the latest Minty yesterday (because I am a total mug) and noticed they were wanting a fiver for postage. I contacted them and they said their postage limit has now gone up to 100.00. I ended up getting the 1/2oz Queen coin as well just to avoid postage.......

I thought about that this morning.....I bought a ceramic pig and just to get free postage I also spent 60 quid on a half oz of silver. Seemed sensible at the time. What on earth is wrong with me?

I do have all four of the Minty pigs now. I am going to start an Army. Piggy Division No.1. Pictures may follow.

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Oh......just to confirm as well..... 

I went to buy the latest Minty yesterday (because I am a total mug) and noticed they were wanting a fiver for postage. I contacted them and they said their postage limit has now gone up to 100.00. I ended up getting the 1/2oz Queen coin as well just to avoid postage.......

I thought about that this morning.....I bought a ceramic pig and just to get free postage I also spent 60 quid on a half oz of silver. Seemed sensible at the time. What on earth is wrong with me?

I do have all four of the Minty pigs now. I am going to start an Army. Piggy Division No.1. Pictures may follow.

These will be fabulous once you get them all filled with Sovereigns- what a fantastic set that will be 😉

It seems to me that the Royal Mint has SOTD sovereign collectors over a barrel (and the RM knows it). These "specials" are now being struck more and more regularly and at exorbitant prices and this is an obvious winner for the RM (SO FAR). The £800 cost is the new baseline and if demand continues for these then future issues will become even more prevalent and the cost will  continue to rise for collectors. I think that this will even be in the short term regardless of the gold price.

Personally, if I had been collecting them (which I haven't) I would stop now. If/when my car insurer contacts me saying thanks for being a valued customer and your annual premium is only going up another £50, then I shop around and take my business elsewhere. Businesses take financial advantage of customer loyalty and the RM clearly intends to rip collectors off. 

I appreciate that SOTD collectors can't just shop around like they can for car insurance, which takes me back to my original point of the RM having them over a barrel.

SOTD is Scam on the day.

20 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

It seems to me that the Royal Mint has SOTD sovereign collectors over a barrel (and the RM knows it). These "specials" are now being struck more and more regularly and at exorbitant prices and this is an obvious winner for the RM (SO FAR). The £800 cost is the new baseline and if demand continues for these then future issues will become even more prevalent and the cost will  continue to rise for collectors. I think that this will even be in the short term regardless of the gold price.

Personally, if I had been collecting them (which I haven't) I would stop now. If/when my car insurer contacts me saying thanks for being a valued customer and your annual premium is only going up another £50, then I shop around and take my business elsewhere. Businesses take financial advantage of customer loyalty and the RM clearly intends to rip collectors off. 

I appreciate that SOTD collectors can't just shop around like they can for car insurance, which takes me back to my original point of the RM having them over a barrel.

SOTD is Scam on the day.

I am in this trap so this will be my last one if I find the next is also at this price level. I'll get this one, see what the quality is like, grade it and then that will be it for me if they release another with the same price tag. I have a pretty good collection of the SOTD ones but 800 for a nothing special design does hurt a bit. A 2017 SOTD garter design sold on here the other day for 850 which is a stunning proof like coin and a real collector piece. This is the same price which will make for an interesting comparison.

Perhaps if people start to give up the SOTD collections i can fill a few of my gaps first ;) 

On 28/01/2020 at 13:22, westminstrel said:

Fair enough. And indeed... no hard feelings at all.

I do agree the privies have become too much now.

Personally I would prefer no more changes but everyone’s opinions are different.

I personally have every SOTD but for BU and just a privy at 800 pounds. I will not be buying this coin. Even with fat pockets, there’s a limited to how much you can milk the fool. Me being the fool. 

Archived