• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Leaving the EU - SOTD Sovereign

creative

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people may be missed something here, "brexit" has media attention (BBC news etc) and there are going to be many more people after this who are not even coin collectors/gold bugs etc.  Royal mint know this thats why they have jacked up the price.  Greedy and lazy yes but...

This means that they are likely to go into stupid peoples hands!  They will maul them, handle them and treat them like any other new toy for a month or two.  Long term this may be better for the MS70 collectors.  I myself would be after the SOTD sov and I think this is out of the price range of said stupid people so I think I will give it a miss.  The silver proof at £60 quid may be worth taking if this is what happens.

Sadly only time will tell and Royal Mint have certainly not catered for their usual customer for the brexit coins.

2 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Maybe it's encrusted with diamonds?

This made me think, how nice would a special sovereign be with a small diamond as the dragons eye? or a ruby or emerald or something

Here is my mock up

I really like it, it's a big change from a normal sovereign whilst also being subtle 

subtle1.thumb.jpg.bda4d6d94a5ff87b846a455af3efcf19.jpg

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

3 hours ago, Kman said:

This made me think, how nice would a special sovereign be with a small diamond as the dragons eye? or a ruby or emerald or something

Here is my mock up

I really like it, it's a big change from a normal sovereign whilst also being subtle 

subtle1.thumb.jpg.bda4d6d94a5ff87b846a455af3efcf19.jpg

The Perth Mint does these sort of coins (with embedded gems) all the time.

Imo the Sovereign doesn’t need such gimmicks. I realize there’s always the temptation to tweak things, either to keep it interesting, or to cash in on hype. But really the appeal of the Sovereign lies in its being timeless and classic. And that means keeping it the same.

We’re already on a slippery slope with the plain edges, privies, mattes and piedforts.

With potential reverse proofs, colourising, embedding gemstones, and whatever else, the Sovereign could end up just being like another cheap round from other Mints as far as design is concerned.

Right now because of it’s classic design, the Royal Mint really has an ace up it’s sleeve as the Sovereign is literally the ONLY continuing coin with a rich history. Fiddle with it too much and you’ve lost it. 

32 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The Perth Mint does these sort of coins (with embedded gems) all the time.

Imo the Sovereign doesn’t need such gimmicks. I realize there’s always the temptation to tweak things, either to keep it interesting, or to cash in on hype. But really the appeal of the Sovereign lies in its being timeless and classic. And that means keeping it the same.

We’re already on a slippery slope with the plain edges, privies, mattes and piedforts.

With potential reverse proofs, colourising, embedding gemstones, and whatever else, the Sovereign could end up just being like another cheap round from other Mints as far as design is concerned.

Right now because of it’s classic design, the Royal Mint really has an ace up it’s sleeve as the Sovereign is literally the ONLY continuing coin with a rich history. Fiddle with it too much and you’ve lost it. 

Tho modern sovereign definitely needs gimmicks to keep interest

Currently we have all the new different sizes, 1/4 and piedfort, and privies and matte finish and plain edges

Personally the privies i'm sick of, the new sizes I don't like, the matte proof was nice but they've already overdone it

A gem stone eye would be new to the range, refreshing, it would be subtle, it would be done in the full size in the classic design; just with a little embellishment 

Imagine if for the Queens Sapphire Jubilee they did 650 proofs to celebrate 65 years with a Sapphire eye

You can't tell me that wouldn't have been hot stuff 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

8 minutes ago, Kman said:

Tho modern sovereign definitely needs gimmicks to keep interest

Currently we have all the new different sizes, 1/4 and piedfort, and privies and matte finish and plain edges

Personally the privies i'm sick of, the new sizes I don't like, the matte proof was nice but they've already overdone it

A gem stone eye would be new to the range, refreshing, it would be subtle, it would be done in the full size in the classic design; just with a little embellishment 

Imagine if for the Queens Sapphire Jubilee they did 650 proofs to celebrate 65 years with a Sapphire eye

You can't tell me that wouldn't have been hot stuff 

No offence but, I can and I will tell you, I would find that terribly gimmicky 🙁

I’m curious why you think the “modern Sovereign definitely needs gimmicks to keep interest”?

Don’t you like the fact that it is the only coin out there which is classic and timeless? If you’re really looking for gimmicks, there are other mints which strike St. George and the Dragon themed coins. What would differentiate the genuine Sovereign from all these?

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

No offence but, I can and I will tell you, I would find that terribly gimmicky 🙁

I’m curious why you think the “modern Sovereign definitely needs gimmicks to keep interest”?

Don’t you like the fact that it is the only coin out there which is classic and timeless? If you’re really looking for gimmicks, there are other mints which strike St. George and the Dragon themed coins. What would differentiate the genuine Sovereign from all these?

If they only kept the same design for the modern sovereign I'd never buy another one, what would be the point; all you need is one

It's variety and rareness that allures me

I like the India mint marks, I liked the Victoria matte finish, I like the 1989, 2002, 2005, 2017 alternate designs (not so much the 2012 or the one with the different Queens portrait)

If you like the classics then there's 200 years of sovereigns to enjoy

It's a matter of taste so It's not hard feelings if we don't agree 

The RM are going to continue to try and make changes and I'd prefer them to do new subtle interesting things than just adding privies on everything 

The tour for striking your own “Withdrawal from The EU” 50p coin on the 31st at the Royal Mint has sold out...How many happy schoolkids are being given the day off from classes........lol. There is a tour beingtaken round every 15 minutes apparently totalling 90 tours.

£10 per coin (max 3, 2 probably pre struck) and £25 tour fee regardless of age with no restrictions of how many tours you can go on.

So £35 for tour and strike your own.

£45 for tour and 2 coins

£55 for tour and 3 coins.

On the day special packaging with the date...That shouldn’t take people too long to photoshop.....

Plus whatever transport charges, lunch etc you incur on the day

And they stamp sucker on your forehead for free as you leave  :)

The mintage for the circulating coin is in the millions.....

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Fair enough. And indeed... no hard feelings at all.

I do agree the privies have become too much now.

Personally I would prefer no more changes but everyone’s opinions are different.

I think with gems it’s overkill, the Perth mint do it in limited numbers and for a good reasons. The sovereign should stick to classics. SOTD is a good gimmick, they need to push marketing on it. Also the if prices for previous strike on days are in thousand of pounds. For sure new collectors will hop on the train. But with poor returns on previous editions what’s the reason for new collectors to start collecting these new editions.

8 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Another reason is the RM wouldn't be able to cope with the technical issues of adding a gem into the design. Can you imagine the QC issues there'd be?

just noticed this in 2020 proof sovereign graded 70 by NGC 

531BCA9E-C88D-48DC-8336-D20A536D5E3D.jpeg

9A0A352B-85E1-4E7A-B90D-B198D882F4B9.jpeg

The sovereign has survived for 200 years without gimmicks...imo we are already at the limit of the amount of special editions and privies. If we have special ones every year, then it becomes the norm, and not special anymore, but expected. I guess that would fit with our modern lives of expecting instant gratification.

2 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

The sovereign has survived for 200 years without gimmicks...imo we are already at the limit of the amount of special editions and privies. If we have special ones every year, then it becomes the norm, and not special anymore, but expected. I guess that would fit with our modern lives of expecting instant gratification.

What modern ones are the most valuable? special designs, limited mintage

Would you guys all like modern sovereigns to be done in proof the same 10,000 mintage every year forever more?

I know what some of you will say, you don't like the modern proofs, they aren't to the same standard

Then what bothers you about the gimmicky ones if you aren't interested in modern ones to begin with? because they diminish the history? I don't think anything the mint could do to harm historic sovereigns; only recent releases 

11 minutes ago, Kman said:

What modern ones are the most valuable? special designs, limited mintage

Would you guys all like modern sovereigns to be done in proof the same 10,000 mintage every year forever more?

I know what some of you will say, you don't like the modern proofs, they aren't to the same standard

Then what bothers you about the gimmicky ones if you aren't interested in modern ones to begin with? because they diminish the history? I don't think anything the mint could do to harm historic sovereigns; only recent releases 

To be honest, I'm not really complaining... and my favourite sovereigns are those after 2015, which I am also collecting and trying to get every edition and variation. I guess I'm just a bit fearful that these special sovereigns that I've managed to acquire will continue to be considered special. :) It's a fine balance I guess. I am glad that the 2019 sovereign was just normal... and I think we should have more years in the future with simply regular proof sovereigns like that one. Maybe something new every 3 or 5 years... I don't know what the ideal frequency would be, it's up to Royal Mint.

But yeah I'm not complaining, and I'm in it until now, I am also going to get the Brexit SOTD... £800 or not! I'm by no means rich and it will hit my pocket, but I'm gonna have to do it I'm afraid. On the plus side, the higher cost does make it a lot more exclusive... 

20 hours ago, zhoutonged said:

Im not an expert but I can see these selling at a big discount in 9 months

But who's going to sell theirs at a discounted price, after having forked out £800? Not me! I guess that would only happen if someone is in dire need of quick cash... and people who can afford to buy £800 sovereigns normally don't fall into that category.

I think there are different views when it comes to collecting. I buy coins that are sometimes expensive and probably wont resell for the same money, but its what I collect so I'm ok with it. I also buy cheap as chips coins (few pound for example) and get them graded, not to increase in value but to add to my collection of slabbed coins. So for some coins paying a premium i dont have a problem with, especially if its what you collect and youre happy with the purchase then all good , despite what others say. 

However, £800 for what I am guessing will be a non-proof sovereign does make we wince a little... thats a lot of money for what Im going to guess will be a matt finish, quite possibly poorly executed (based on what the recent matt finish ones have been like), with a high mintage and high price. I'll get one if i can cos if i dont like it, ill just send it back but when you collect a particular type of things (in this case SOTD sovs) then if youre not looking at resale then perhaps the £800 is acceptable. To me, i still think its crazy expensive but I'll see what they are like and go from there - no problem returning if you dont like it.

Archived