• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 7000+ members.

Seth

How far or how long are you willing to travel for fish & Chips?

Serious question here.

The boss and I are currently having a super lazy day to the point where none of us could be bothered to walk the five minutes to our local fish & chip shop, so we decided to make ouselves feel evem more guilty and hate ourselves a bit more by having our local fish & chip shop deliver our order to us instead, which made us realise tha since it's so close we didn't know it's phone number, nor did we know it's actual name - we just call it the ''Chippy'', so we had to resort to the all wise and knowing Professor Google for sage advice and guidence, which brought our atention to this article: Britain's BEST chippies.

Now my local chippie has not made the grade, though I will admit I consider the best chippie to be your local and most convenient one - after all in my humble opinion fish & chips is the British equivalent to fast food and answer to McDonalds, and after have read the above linked to article, it made me realise that if the misses and I decided to one day treat ourselves to visiting one of Britian's best fish & chip shops we're looking at a minimum of a night away in a hotel to get tto the closest one to us, which isn't even rated number 1.

So my question to everybody is simply this:

How far, how long and how much effort are you willing to put into getting fish & chips for dinner, are you willing to walk a few miles/drive for a number of miles past closer fish & chip shops/spend a decent amount of time like an hour or two in order to get fish & chips for dinner, or are you like me, and are happy just to use your closest and most convenient fish & chip shop?

Yes, I know it's a stupid question.

(Is there any chance of somebody moving this post to the ''All other non PM related discussions'' section please)

Edited by Seth

10 mins by car with someone. One to get the fish n chips, one to drive the car. Has anyone ever considered or seen a drive through fish n chips shop ? Definite winner in Blighty I reckon.

edit. Bannys do and a couple of others do.

Edited by Oldun

When we lived in London our local chippie was at the end of our street. And I always grew up with a chippie less than 5 mins walk away. But now, living outside of London, we don’t even have a chippie in our town! Nearest one is 20 mins drive away 😱😱

we have a 24 mile round trip to get to our local fish and chip shop.      but id drive a few miles more and go to padstow and Rick Steins.     they only a few £ more and they are first class especially the tartar sauce

I am spoiled for choice where I am as there are three that I would consider local and an equal drive - about 10 minutes. I do favour one over the others though simply because the end product is more consistently higher quality. I don't think I would travel very far specifically for fish and chips but if I caught wind that there was a particularly good chippy closeish (within 20 miles say) of where I happened to be I would certainly take the drive and try it.

Being a rural dweller buying fish and chips to take away is a bit of a mission, it's usually a case of eating it in the car in a car park a few minutes away as if I took it home (30 mins away) they would start to "sweat" in their own steam.  It's only chippie suppers that suffer from this, I could get a Chinese or Indian takeaway home and it would be perfectly fine.

Again 30 minutes from where we live to the nearest permanent chippy. I work in town so not so bad for me There is a good chippy van which sells massive fish suppers for £5.50 on the weekend and 10 minutes drive. I like the weekends. 😀

Bacon butty and ketchup...took 5 minutes to make and 1 minute to consume with a mug of Yorkshire tea :)

Not fish n chips but easily on a par with it for the feel good factor. Travel time, @30 seconds from bed to kitchen.

Edited by Oldun

On 27/01/2020 at 17:30, Scuzzle said:

Being a rural dweller buying fish and chips to take away is a bit of a mission, it's usually a case of eating it in the car in a car park a few minutes away as if I took it home (30 mins away) they would start to "sweat" in their own steam.  It's only chippie suppers that suffer from this, I could get a Chinese or Indian takeaway home and it would be perfectly fine.

That is a problem with chips.  Trick for 10-15 min trip is open the bag a little to vent for a minute, not so long to let them go cold.  For longer trip, have you tried putting them in the oven very high for a few minutes?