• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint to release MASSIVE James Bond coins in 2020!

goldmember44

Fascinating, I just saw this on the Chards website:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2020-james-bond-007-silver-proof-5-ounce-coin/11440

The Privy Council have announced that the Royal Mint are to release James Bond 007 themed coins in 2020. The coins will likely celebrate the release of the 25th James Bond film, No Time To Die.

These impressive coins are set to be released in sizes ranging from 5 oz's up to 7 kilos. 

Information about the coins is scarce and we do not know a release date.

Privy Council

The Privy Council is made up of senior politicians who advise the Queen on such matters as bank holidays, coinage and lively company statuses. The Royal Mint have to submit any new coin designs to The Privy Council for approval. The information is then announced on the Privy Council website. 

The Royal Mint have not yet relesed information about the coins and when they do it will be subject to embargo. 

James Bond 007 Coin Weights

These impressive coins are set to be released in sizes ranging from 5oz's up to 7 kilos. 

• 7 kg Gold Coin. Face Value £7000
  • 2 kg Gold Coin. Face Value £2000
  • 1 kg Gold Coin. Face Value £1000
  • 5 oz Gold Coin. Face Value £500
  • 2 kg Silver Coin. Face Value £1000
  • 1 kg Silver Coin. Face Value £500
  • 5 oz Silver Coin. Face Value £10

Obverse

The obverse will feature the Jody Clark fifth coinage portrait of Queen Elizabeth II. 

“· ELIZABETH II · D · G · REG · F · D · 10 POUNDS · 2020”

Reverse

The reverse will feature a depiction of James Bond's car, along with the 007 logo. 

I feel a bit uneasy with these 'pop culture' (probably the wrong phrase but I'm sure folks know what I mean) issues. They are very 'of the moment' - Paddington, the Snowman are quite timeless for kids and adults who grew up with them (and will continue to do so to some extent), but Bond is very much already seen/portrayed as an archaic throwback, give it five or ten years and at this rate it'll either be played by a woman or simply cancelled. Celebrating history on coins is different - but the original 007 (John Dee) wouldn't have the same appeal. What would they call the series 'Their Majesties Dark Occultists'? 🤣

:ph34r:

• Founder & Administrator

Any idea if they will be pure gold/silver, or if they will be colorised coins?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

9 minutes ago, ChrisSilver said:

Any idea if they will be pure gold/silver, or if they will be colorised coins?

The specification says it will be 999 fine silver for the 5oz. I assume the others will be similar. Not sure if it would be colorized too. But with colorization seemingly being a thing these days, as in recent coins, they might well be too.

Can someby please explan to me why a 1 ounce silver Britannia has a face value of £2.00, yet the 2 ounce silver Queens Beasts have a face value of £5.00 the 10 ounce versions of the Queens Beasts and the 10 ounce silver Valiant have face values of £10.00, and this up coming 5 ounce James Bond coin has a face value of £10.00.  It seems to me that the 2 ounce versions of the Queens Beasts value silver content more than any other silver British Bullion coin, (£2.50 an ounce instead of anything from £1.00 an ounce to £2.00 an ounce) and therefore beter value for money should the value of silver plummet to below £2.00 an ounce. Am I missing something here, or am I just being an  idiot?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Jimmock said:

I'm afraid to say it's the latter.😁😁. Doesn't really matter what face value they put on them you cant go into a shop and spend them.

I was under the impression that you could walk into the Bank of England or the the Bank of Scotland and exchange then for their face value in cash, or am I mistaken in that belief?

Yes,that was stopped a few years back,theres a thread on here somewhere explaining why. Think it was mostly to do with people buying the £20 coins by credit card to get air miles etc then just cashing the coins back in. I believe the only thing you can use them for is to pay court fines,but I may be wrong on that.

I hope starting at 5oz isn’t a “test run” for future releases.

I wonder if the success of the £180 2oz Silver Una, that you now can’t buy it for any less than £299 (H&B), is making them think about restricting coins like this to more high end collectors who won’t flip.

When I say high end, I mean going of £90 an ounce, the normal working man isn’t going to fork out presumably £450 for a silver coin thats melt value is probably £60 on a good day, when you can buy a sovereign for £150 less and it’s value will remain largely intact. 

19 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

maybe they're working up to having a life sized effigy of 007 on a coin?

Lets hope that Tom Cruise never gets to play James Bond, otherwise that life size effigy would turn out to be 2ft tall with his insersts in.

• 1 month later...

Archived