• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold or silver now?

Safestacker

VAT will not be levied on Silver until 31st December as we will be in that part of the agreement where nothing changes. Can’t think of the correct term 🤔 

The Gold Silver ratio is heading once again towards 90 which seems to point to Silver being cheap relative to Gold

90/10 au/ag. Ag reflects inflation and there is none, hence the stagnation of prices over long periods of time. When people thought there would be inflation, it rose significantly. If you think inflation is coming, buy silver.

4 hours ago, Safestacker said:

Hi all

With Brexit now looming (VAT then added to silver) and gold prices on the rise, which is better to buy - gold or silver ? 

I have some saints and want to put a couple thousand into more PM now but not sure which ? 

Thanks. 

Gold...no wait, buy Silver...no Gold,  but I like Silver...no Gold....Silver.. just continue to buy both Silver and Gold...or maybe Gold and Silver...

I like what @Oldun says- makes sense:

2 minutes ago, Oldun said:

90/10 au/ag. Ag reflects inflation and there is none, hence the stagnation of prices over long periods of time. When people thought there would be inflation, it rose significantly. If you think inflation is coming, buy silver.

I am continuing to buy both- my spreadsheet says I own 85% Gold and 15% Silver...

Gold for me, just because it's far easier to sell when the time comes, far lower premiums over spot, and in the UK avoids the 20% VAT.

That being said, if I was to pick up some silver I would buy tubes of Britannias from the Royal Mint and use their storage service. This way, avoids the 20% VAT, I don't have to worry about storage / insurance and they will buy back at a decent price.

Does The RM charge  for storage ?

Scratch that. Yes, it does. So £60 per annum if you hold £5K of silver with them, for example.

https://www.royalmintbullion.com/Fees

The storage rate is 1% + VAT per annum. Storage rates are charged quarterly in arrears and are based on the average daily market value of your total metal holding that is stored in The Vault™. Invoices are issued quarterly and must be settled immediately.
Late Payment Fee A late payment fee may be charged on outstanding payments for storage. The fee will be equal to 0.50% of the overdue balance for every month or part month that the balance remains unpaid. This charge reflects the costs of collection. Any fees collected in excess of costs suffered by The Royal Mint will be donated to charity.

2 minutes ago, Oldun said:

Does The RM charge  for storage ?

Yep: "The storage rate is 1% + VAT per annum. Storage rates are charged quarterly in arrears and are based on the average daily market value of your total metal holding that is stored in The Vault™. Invoices are issued quarterly and must be settled immediately. "

You can also invest in their 'signature' range, where you can buy allocated gold / silver by the gram. The fees on this are 0.5%, but you can't take delivery of the gold / silver for obvious reasons. It's also liable to capital gains tax in the UK.

Good thing about the coin storage service is, it's CGT free (if you buy british coins), vat free (if you don't take delivery), secure, and they will buy back at a decent price. Downside is that you can only buy full tubes, which is fine for silver, but kinda limiting for gold. You would need to buy a 25 tube of sovereigns for example.

On 28/01/2020 at 11:50, Empire said:

Gold for me, just because it's far easier to sell when the time comes, far lower premiums over spot, and in the UK avoids the 20% VAT.

That being said, if I was to pick up some silver I would buy tubes of Britannias from the Royal Mint and use their storage service. This way, avoids the 20% VAT, I don't have to worry about storage / insurance and they will buy back at a decent price.

Hmm, so apparently this is wrong. If you buy silver from the Royal Mint and have them store it, they still charge you VAT! They even charge VAT on their 'signature' range! Pretty sure this wasn't the case previously, but might be wrong. Pretty rediculous charging VAT on items that you aren't taking delivery of. That's like charging VAT on a silver ETF investment.

Archived