• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NEW STACKERS beware of fake sunshine mint bars still circulating

Peacemaker

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124055543867
These are fakes, clear by the shape, in fact most fakes carry this same shape through different brands, almost squared corner shape, most modern 1oz silver bars have the same shape with more rounded corners, guy thinks they are genuine and says he has loads, just be careful

image.thumb.png.29727662e62d96466b1c93aa7bae7ae9.png

image.thumb.png.e7f851bf94ec7a8dfd7dc76c476eff1a.png

here is a picture of a genuine bar, older ones will be the same shape just without the security mark on the rear and the very old ones will say "sunshine mining"

Image result for 1 oz sunshine silver bar

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

Thanks for this really helpful post. Can I please ask how you can tell they are fake? I can see the corners are different (just) but wondered if this was an absolute give away that the bar is fake? Is there anything else to look out for?

Thanks in advance for the pointers!

2 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Thanks for this really helpful post. Can I please ask how you can tell they are fake? I can see the corners are different (just) but wondered if this was an absolute give away that the bar is fake? Is there anything else to look out for?

Buy it now for £16 would be one clue that it's fake as well as the deal for multiple purchases.

4 hours ago, MickB said:

Buy it now for £16 would be one clue that it's fake as well as the deal for multiple purchases.

not necessarily, there are bargains to be had

4 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Yes this is very well known fake, just though I would give a heads up to the new guys who have recently joined, the shape of the bar is the biggest giveaway, in had it will be clear, easiest way is to recognise that most, if not all 1oz bars now come in the same size and shape, with exception to the Perth mint bars etc, but certainly modern bullion have that same rounded shape, some older bars from other companies like Mount Everest Mint have this more squared corner shape but Sunshine Mint or any others have never, I actually picked up a Silvertowne bar a few months into stacking, it had this shape, I paid a fair price, I didnt notice by picture because I didn't know what to look for, it was clear in hand though with a neodymium magnet, a scale and ruler, these are noticeably thicker.

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

I have a few older Sunshine mint bars in my safe. I was planning on melting to be fair. But I will check them later and post a few pictures.

I know at least one if not a few I bought from Bullion by Post.... But I never bothered to check them...

I would say to him, 'are these genuine ? I will be testing them on my Sigma Metalytics machine and if they turn out to be fake I will be reporting you to the police'  see what response you get when you put some one on the spot like that who knows he is selling bad.

4 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

I would say to him, 'are these genuine ? I will be testing them on my Sigma Metalytics machine and if they turn out to be fake I will be reporting you to the police'  see what response you get when you put some one on the spot like that who knows he is selling bad.

I have gave them a message, also reported the listing with a link to a website but they will probably sell a bunch before that gets looked at 

heres the link for others, a bit more info 

https://www.fakebullion.com/index.php/component/k2/item/7-sunshine-1-ounce-silver-bar

The hunt is on!

3 minutes ago, sliver99 said:

The seller also has a high amount of positive feedback, yet they are selling fakes. This really puts me off from ordering from Ebay

There is quite a few trusted sellers on there who also sell and are members on here, I wish they were more transparent to who they were and / or we could have a database of forum members who also sell on ebay, I have a handful of forum members saved on ebay incase something comes up for sale that I like and cannot remember if they are a trusted seller or not, I will give you a couple on there that I know of @sliver99  if you wanted, I won't out them on here though in public ;)

3 minutes ago, sliver99 said:

The seller also has a high amount of positive feedback, yet they are selling fakes. This really puts me off from ordering from Ebay

No sales for over 6 months then suddenly he has loads of listings.  Shows some signs that his account may have been compromised but the listings for his other stuff are all relatively low value so I don't think it's that.  My gut feeling is that he's picked up all that stuff from someone else, maybe at a car boot sale for example, for a too-good-to-be-true price and put it all on Ebay to make a profit, not realising that the silver bars are fake.

IMO all purchases should be tested for authenticity, even from trusted sellers. Something can always slip past the tightest quality control!

I recently purchased some lunar dogs for a typeset collection and the 1/2 and 5oz coins were fake, not blindingly so but enough for me to test and discover straight away. Unboxing and testing were done on video and the dealler resolved the matter very quickly.

Archived